Jiggmin's Village

Full Version: Some Level Editor Additions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PR2's level editor is perfectly serviceable, but there are some additions I wish were added for the ease of the user. 
Here's a few mock-ups of said suggestions:

1) Art Selection
[Image: RKkM9H5.png]

Notice the little dotted square. This is my first suggestion: a selection tool. First, draw the thing you want moved. Then, click on the selection icon, and drag over the thing.

[Image: eS69Azn.png]

This would select the area. Then, using the power of your cursor...

[Image: h1f148I.png]

...the selected art would move to where you placed it! This would make it so that you don't have to be extra-precise when drawing something.

2) Different Brush Styles

[Image: Eyuv7mN.png]
Notice the little drop-down arrow near the Brush icon? This would allow you to choose from different kinds of brushes, allowing you more kinds of designs with your lines. Perhaps there would be a space where you could "design" your own brush? Or, perhaps you could also just add an option to make your own stamps? Either or would be cool.

3) Color Alpha
[Image: b9DL6R4.png]

Here's a feature from PR3 I want retrofitted into PR2. There would be a slider somewhere, and changing it would change the transparency of your brush. I'm not sure if it would be an easy addition (I don't know a lick of programming), but it would be appreciated, nonetheless. It would allow you to draw clear and opaque things and the many kinds of things in between.

4) Bulk Block Placement
[Image: milyze0.png]

Another thing from PR3 (though I think the feature itself was added in PR3R). Holding the CTRL key with a block selected and dragging out to form a rectangle would fill that rectangle with blocks. I tried taking a photo of the selection rectangle itself but even when using my feet I was unable to hold all of those buttons together and take a shot.

This would be useful for bulk block placement, so you don't need to spend all that time meticulously putting down each one! This also could apply to the X block, deleting all blocks within a selection.

5) Better Layers

See this?

[Image: Abl14Y2.png]

I don't like this. Only having so few layers feels so lame! I want more layers! And I don't want them all pre-set like this!

Now look at this, from PR3:

[Image: hzZYzGR.png]

I want this! I can make as many layers as I want! And, I can change their depth - meaning that they can go behind or in front of blocks as I please! Not only that, I can also change their transparency!
So many layers. It's like an onion. 

Adding a layer system like PR3's may be cumbersome - but what I recommend is that levels that utilize the old system of layers just have multiple "installed" layers with the new system, so everything works as it should. Hopefully.

Anyways, that's about it for now. Gameplay-wise, I'm sure there are some nice additions could be made - but these suggestions outlined here would make the level editor easier to use in general, at least I think. Anything else about the level editor you want changed up?
Custom basic blocks...
Would be nice to have...
Then I would finally be able to make levels easier...
(20th January 2019, 12:31 AM)Lego-man945 Wrote: [ -> ]Custom basic blocks...
Would be nice to have...
Then I would finally be able to make levels easier...

It's not a full-on block editor, but Jiggmin once did suggest the idea of "block skins" in a Motley Monday episode. I'd love to see that being put in the game, joining its sister idea of the text tool. See 1:28 in this video:

Opaque paint is technically possible within pr2 now however the method for doing it takes 20 minutes just to draw a block sized square, having it on a slider would be awesome.
(20th January 2019, 12:48 AM)Northadox Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a full-on block editor, but Jiggmin once did suggest the idea of "block skins" in a Motley Monday episode. I'd love to see that being put in the game, joining its sister idea of the text tool. See 1:28 in this video:

the best teeth in the game
(20th January 2019, 12:48 AM)Northadox Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a full-on block editor, but Jiggmin once did suggest the idea of "block skins" in a Motley Monday episode. I'd love to see that being put in the game, joining its sister idea of the text tool. See 1:28 in this video:

That's what I meant lol basic blocks are the ones that don't do anything.
Therefore custom basic blocks.
I would like to place a single block that is connected by a sort of tie or rope and once i pull my mouse elsewhere and place another there it builds land between, this would speed up my map making processes by alot.
Another thing could be to set up a combination of blocks and have them replicate on click so say you place 3 blocks seleCt them all together and then by clicking you past the same stuff to whereve you click.

Cannons could be added to the game as an item perhaps that can fire a player far away or if you shot into it shot back by bouncing or they could be used to shot a cannonball and catch a faster player and knock him over.
Waypoints could be added into the game, tiny arrows or flags better say that we can use to a greater extent in dm matches, eg a race that punishes death but allows u to specifically override respawn options and allow ppl to respawn only at the checkpoints you select.
A machine gun i would like, that shots 3 bullets, to stunlock an enemy, or a rocket launcher that explodes but doesnt fire linearly but fires up and down.
Just ideas.
necrobump
(9th November 2021, 3:24 PM)Lego-man945 Wrote: [ -> ]necrobump

well if it soothes your nerves, my plan for my PR bootleg is that you'll just be able to export a level's blocks as a bitmap image, and then you can paint over it in an art program of your choice and export that image you drew on top/behind the blocks into your level rather than dealing with say something like PR2's janky art drawing (and me having to program one) and adhere to that "do one thing and do it well" philosophy
block selection would be ez too
@bls1999 how hard would it be to make customizable stickers?
bumpppp
Add scroll to zoom to this list idk why yall dont have that yet.