Jiggmin's Village

Full Version: Problems with PotM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
POTM is an ok contest but it always has been and likely will continue to be way too easy to cheat at, having it give out huge exp rewards would be a bad move.

Mod edit: Split from this thread.
(11th February 2019, 9:39 AM)bls1999 Wrote: [ -> ]Big oof, shade thrown, shots fired

I have to admit now, that I cheated back when the contest was active to get me a bubble set. I took a picture of a students art work at my art class and put a sticky note under it
^Literally this, this is why I expressed disappointment as soon as it was given Bat set as a prize, the contest definitely deserves a prize don't get me wrong, but not something as good as what is now arguably one of the nicest looking sets

Edit: Especially since if you give a contest that is very easy to cheat one of the nicer prizes it only encourages cheating because people have no morals and will basically do anything to get a prize they want, I remember tons of people cheating the OG potw and RotW for thier respective prizes because they were very much desired.
This whole Painter of the Week fiasco could literally be resolved by enforcing that the "Paintings" would have to be completed in the PR2 level editor. You could then add rules such as animations/effects available within the contest to spice it up a little and we can deviate from the already used 'Painter of the Week" and use something like 'PR2 Art Contest' or something else. (Just a suggestion)
There are ways you could prove it is yours.
Make them put the JV logo in the top-right corner (The J in the circle and the 3 bubbles).
And their pr2 name in the bottom left.
And then a picture of one of the many PR2 bodies hand drawn.
Or just make all pictures Jiggmin themed Smile
(11th February 2019, 1:33 PM)__ Wrote: [ -> ]This whole Painter of the Week fiasco could literally be resolved by enforcing that the "Paintings" would have to be completed in the PR2 level editor. You could then add rules such as animations/effects available within the contest to spice it up a little and we can deviate from the already used 'Painter of the Week" and use something like 'PR2 Art Contest' or something else. (Just a suggestion)

@Rank
(11th February 2019, 11:53 AM)Appah Wrote: [ -> ]^Literally this, this is why I expressed disappointment as soon as it was given Bat set as a prize, the contest definitely deserves a prize don't get me wrong, but not something as good as what is now arguably one of the nicest looking sets

Edit: Especially since if you give a contest that is very easy to cheat one of the nicer prizes it only encourages cheating because people have no morals and will basically do anything to get a prize they want, I remember tons of people cheating the OG potw and RotW for thier respective prizes because they were very much desired.

Cheating was my biggest concern when I was reviving the contest. This is why I originally enforced the rule that your JV name had to be visible somewhere in the photo, but A, nobody was following the rule and B, some people had a problem adding it (you would've had to MS paint over yours or revive your old laptop, for example). I was hoping that with reverse image searches, it would stop anyone from pulling images directly from the internet, but the issue of what Addy did back in the day can still easily happen. I was also hoping that with the community as small as it is, there'll be less people trying to cheat in this sort of contest, but like you said people will basically do anything to get a prize they want, especially the newest and best-looking set in the game. I'd love to enforce Lego-man's list of ideas to prevent this, but I would not be able to take any submissions from people who don't follow it since I can't enforce a rule for only a select set of people. 

(11th February 2019, 1:33 PM)__ Wrote: [ -> ]This whole Painter of the Week fiasco could literally be resolved by enforcing that the "Paintings" would have to be completed in the PR2 level editor. You could then add rules such as animations/effects available within the contest to spice it up a little and we can deviate from the already used 'Painter of the Week" and use something like 'PR2 Art Contest' or something else. (Just a suggestion)

Believe me, I completely agree that it'd make things easier if we did this. However, I have a strong feeling that only accepting submissions made in LE would take so much away from the contest. My favorite part of this whole thing is to see real-life submissions because so many people already have spectacular art in their levels. I think it's so cool to see what people can do in terms of real-life art, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on this. 

What if instead of limiting prizes to one set in PR2, the winner got to pick one thing from a selection of prizes. For example, they could choose a PR2 prize (bat set), a cool PR3 prize, a nifty title or name color on JV, or to redeem a set amount of EXP in either game instead. (Also just a suggestion)
Autodot and probably multiple other softwares exist to automate stuff like drawing in LE or atleast they used to and with enough knowledge and skill you can edit in any "proof countermeasures" to a realistic enough degree to bypass them.
All jjudgings of art ultiamtely comes down to preference, e.g its pointless. what sticks out best is usually selected.
good evidence of having created such an art would be to record parts of the creation procedure, bearing in mind some evidence such as the name of the jv2 account

I guess everyone has a cell phone that can record decently, then they write Jv2 username on a piece of paper (it is shown throughout the video) and they show the beginning, middle and end of the creation procedure of that art. to present, with 1 or 2 minutes of video and it would be more than clear who made that art.

Why do I say that record with a camera?

Although it may be art made in pc.
With a bit of simple editing, the video can be edited by placing a label with the name of jv2
Not everyone has the facilities or would be comfortable recording something like this plus it's more of a hassle to attempt to record yourself whilst drawing.
(11th February 2019, 7:30 PM)Appah Wrote: [ -> ]Not everyone has the facilities or would be comfortable recording something like this plus it's more of a hassle to attempt to record yourself whilst drawing.

if you do not know how to look for an angle where you can support the material with which you recorded simplyask a person for help,
If you do not feel comfortable recording, you can simply present the art but if you win you do not receive a prize
I know it does not seem fair, but it would not be fair for others to see someone win a prize without seeing the effort he made to get it.
(11th February 2019, 7:16 PM)morning666star Wrote: [ -> ]good evidence of having created such an art would be to record parts of the creation procedure, bearing in mind some evidence such as the name of the jv2 account

I guess everyone has a cell phone that can record decently, then they write Jv2 username on a piece of paper (it is shown throughout the video) and they show the beginning, middle and end of the creation procedure of that art. to present, with 1 or 2 minutes of video and it would be more than clear who made that art.

Why do I say that record with a camera?

Although it may be art made in pc.
With a bit of simple editing, the video can be edited by placing a label with the name of jv2

Or just have those timeline pictures.
While you're drawing it just take pictures every once in a while of the progress.
Have your pr2 name on a slip of paper near it or something in the picture
Not as demanding as a video.
But also more demanding then just putting your name on the finished product
This contest has definitely seen its days, and while I remember running it for some time back in 2014/2015, it needs a new set of rules or just to be shut-down as a whole.

If there are definitive rules to be set forth by administrators/host, then perhaps it can stay. But by the amount of posts going back and forth about ways to provide evidence, doesn't seem very stable to people coming to participate and having to read that there are ways to cheat in this contest.
Honestly this type of contest was flawed at it's very foundation from the beginning, I remember bringing that exact point up back on OG JV and I was very surprised when it was initially approved for prizes, the contest itself is nice and it's a great way to showcase what amazing talent we have here on JV but from a prize giving stand point it's too easy and usually more reliable to disobey the rules for the sake of winning.

Something along the lines of a "Hero of the week-esque" title and some vanity award for profile customization would be more fitting for something like this personally Although I'm not sure how possible that even is with the sites format.
(12th February 2019, 5:34 PM)Appah Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly this type of contest was flawed at it's very foundation from the beginning, I remember bringing that exact point up back on OG JV and I was very surprised when it was initially approved for prizes, the contest itself is nice and it's a great way to showcase what amazing talent we have here on JV but from a prize giving stand point it's too easy and usually more reliable to disobey the rules for the sake of winning.

Something along the lines of a "Hero of the week-esque" title and some vanity award for profile customization would be more fitting for something like this personally Although I'm not sure how possible that even is with the sites format.

I'm going to look more into this. While the Bat Set is an amazing treat for the winner, David brought up a great point that the contest really has nothing to do with PR2 as it is. I like the idea of "community awards" rather than awards specific to a game with a contest like this.
@bls1999
(12th February 2019, 8:15 PM)Rank Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to look more into this. While the Bat Set is an amazing treat for the winner, David brought up a great point that the contest really has nothing to do with PR2 as it is. I like the idea of "community awards" rather than awards specific to a game with a contest like this.
@bls1999

Let's use the AaM thread for your contest on this one.

glad Appah, David and Leigh mentioned this when they did. when I heard 'Painter of the Month', this is what I expected. have to admit I was disappointed. while it's awesome to celebrate talent, PotM doesn't relate to anything at all. I think interest would grow if it was actually like Leigh suggested.
Hey everyone. Thank you for all of the feedback and suggestions for the contest. It's hard reviving a contest when it's been dead for several years! After some careful thought, I've decided that after February's PotM is over, I'll be requiring that all submissions are made in the PR2 Level Editor. (I'm not enforcing it for February because there's only a week until judging starts).  

This will, as others mentioned, make it much easier to determine whether or not somebody is cheating. Additionally, as several others mentioned, the contest as it is has nothing to do with PR2 as it is so it makes no sense to award the Bat Set. Instead of making some sort of new award for JV or PR3, it makes the most sense to me to switch to PR2 LE submissions only. I hope this doesn't disappoint anyone too much, and I'm sorry if it does.

I'll be laying out some of the new rules after judging for February is complete, so keep an eye out for the PotM thread if you want to participate. If you still want to participate for February and haven't uploaded your submission yet, we are still accepting them in any form.

I'd still love to hear the community's feedback regarding these choices, so feel free to @ me or quote me to let me know what you think. Thanks everyone!