Jiggmin's Village

Full Version: Local Finish Times
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I suggest that the local finish times should be also displayed in a race (for speedrunning). 
There is a delay between the time displayed and the actual time someone gets in a race, and some racers (particularly those outside of the US) have a larger delay than others. 
Therefore, it may be more fair if the local time can be displayed next to the server time, maybe in a different color or with an asterisk? 
Also if this is approved, it would be nice if displaying local times can be toggled in the options.
oh wow I never even thought of that Eek
Somewhat adding onto this, I'd like if the timer itself was also expressed in milliseconds as well, like an actual stopwatch is.
(22nd February 2019, 12:23 AM)bi3liu Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest that the local finish times should be also displayed in a race (for speedrunning). 
There is a delay between the time displayed and the actual time someone gets in a race, and some racers (particularly those outside of the US) have a larger delay than others. 
Therefore, it may be more fair if the local time can be displayed next to the server time, maybe in a different color or with an asterisk? 
Also if this is approved, it would be nice if displaying local times can be toggled in the options.

(22nd February 2019, 5:00 PM)Northadox Wrote: [ -> ]Somewhat adding onto this, I'd like if the timer itself was also expressed in milliseconds as well, like an actual stopwatch is.

yes! these would be huge for a lot of people in terms of contests, HoFs and racing in general!

at the very least I hope this is considered for PRF...
Finish Lag is a real problem in PR2!!

What is Finish Lag?

Finish Lag is a real issue when you're trying to get a good time.
When you finish, it takes a few milliseconds, some times seconds to send to the server.
This is a real issue among Speedrunners.
Here you can see a picture where bi3liu and I played a level where we start in the same position.
[Image: rwE5hMp.png]

We both hit the finish block on the first frame, so our time should be 0.04, for both of us.
It would be nice if when you finish, it shows your server time, and then your client time in this format.
Server Time(Client Time)
0:00.23(0:00.04)
nice font
So is that why I get a higher time because of higher ping (from EU)

[Image: rgsiMXO.png]
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5d6e584...arison.php

I had a higher ping than Lich. and we finished a couple frames apart but the game registered his time 0.50 seconds slower. On a map that short 0.50 seconds is almost impossible to pick up (unless you are bi3liu)

Hope this helps!
Yeah servers are in America I'm from the UK so I'll get it too
(lemme see my time on the level)

0.30, 0.39, 0.30, 0.33, 0.32, 0.33, 0.33, 0.34, 0.30, 0.31
avg 0.325
This would be a really nice addition, some people get up to +5 seconds on their times from finish lag.
I do think this'd be really good and (possibly?) simple to put in
depends on how PR2 deals with clientside things
[Image: 2FDEZB8.jpg]

xd, for some reason Im able to get a faster time if Im with other players

also level is Finish Lag Test by bi3liu if you guys want to try to beat my best time
I often get anywhere from 20-90 miliseconds added onto my time. But this goes beyond finish lag no? Guns etc are extremely inaccurate, and you have to predict where your target is going to be rather than actually shooting them where their current position is.
(7th September 2019, 8:47 AM)Tejs Wrote: [ -> ]I often get anywhere from 20-90 miliseconds added onto my time. But this goes beyond finish lag no? Guns etc are extremely inaccurate, and you have to predict where your target is going to be rather than actually shooting them where their current position is.

Time accuracy, not gun accuracy. Tongue
(7th September 2019, 8:47 AM)Tejs Wrote: [ -> ]I often get anywhere from 20-90 miliseconds added onto my time. But this goes beyond finish lag no? Guns etc are extremely inaccurate, and you have to predict where your target is going to be rather than actually shooting them where their current position is.

This is something that is not an easy fix. It's to do with the multiplayer server which is just slow. It's called Blossom I believe. There was a nice animation for how it works here but it seems the images no longer show.

Hopefully, with the time thing, your actual time is stored on the client on the client also and is not used or maybe could be implemented.
The code that displays the times is very, very nuanced. If I were to do this, the easiest way to accomplish it would be to make the fabled speedrunning server for which everyone has been asking.
yes, the server is located in a certain location (it has been in the U.S. for at least 4 years now I think? unless something recently changed)

people will have a different ping to the server, and it is also why DMs have delay

I will say that this has potential to ruin what made PR2 DMs unique

That's just part of the way PR2 multiplayer works and the servers and ping and stuff
the time thing would be just timing on client between start and hitting the finish which would be simpler than trying to change the way the multiplayer works
(9th September 2019, 12:44 PM)$hake Junt Wrote: [ -> ]I can't screenshot since I'm at work but I got 00:02.30, 00:03.08 and it gets worst. Best I had was 00:2.28 after a couple of tries

That's probably without the JS hat. I get around the same time as you do
a bump cause of the relevance in sotwr
Pages: 1 2