Jiggmin's Village

Full Version: old level timers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey i just started playing this game again so sorry if it's already been asked but is it possible to change all the old levels with the 16:39 timer to unlimited time?
If it's your level in level editor, you can go to settings and where it says time 120, you set it to 0 for unlimited time
(17th July 2019, 6:57 PM)Ashley766 Wrote: [ -> ]If it's your level in level editor, you can go to settings and where it says time 120, you set it to 0 for unlimited time
Pretty sure what he's referring to is maps that were made prior to having an option of choosing unlimited.
Back when the max we were allowed was 16:39 (999 seconds).
Players that set the map time to this would have almost certainly used "unlimited" if it had been an option for them.

The only problem is that nowadays most of these old map makers are long gone and it isn't likely that they will be returning to update their maps to use a feature that they probably aren't even aware exists.

I'd be happy to see those with the old max timer being updated to reflect the new unlimited timer personally.
I had a level with 0 seconds and it made a glitch where the timer said -1:-1 but then inf time was added and it doesn't do it anymore oof

also yeah this would be cool as it would also save people having to mass republish half-decade old or even older levels

I remember hotels from 2009 a lot of those have 16:39 and many of the people who made them don't play anymore so wouldn't be there to change it anyway
is there a way to change this? if it's wanted and it helps improve the game then I'm down, but imo it sounds like there'll be some problems
In theory, it's a good idea; however, this would require a script that looks through every individual level text file and makes the change if the time matches a certain value (999 secs).

I believe Jiggmin posted back in 2012 when he moved over to PR2hub from jiggmin2.com and said that all of the text files totaled about 80gb in size… just imagine the total now! That operation would take multiple days to finish, and would also have a high chance of causing some serious problems with screwed up level data. Further, if a level maker actually only intended for their level to have 999 seconds, we'd be bypassing that.

I wish I could help you on this, but I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth. :/
(18th July 2019, 3:46 AM)bls1999 Wrote: [ -> ]In theory, it's a good idea; however, this would require a script that looks through every individual level text file and makes the change if the time matches a certain value (999 secs).

I believe Jiggmin posted back in 2012 when he moved over to PR2hub from jiggmin2.com and said that all of the text files totaled about 80gb in size… just imagine the total now! That operation would take multiple days to finish, and would also have a high chance of causing some serious problems with screwed up level data. Further, if a level maker actually only intended for their level to have 999 seconds, we'd be bypassing that.

I wish I could help you on this, but I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth. :/

Wow lol

Offline PR2 that'd be cool but also take more space than the biggest AAA games lol
(18th July 2019, 3:46 AM)bls1999 Wrote: [ -> ]In theory, it's a good idea; however, this would require a script that looks through every individual level text file and makes the change if the time matches a certain value (999 secs).

Alright, so since it's actually possible that a whopping handful of players want a 999 second time limit on their map..
Is it possible to filter out maps by publish date? [assuming this data is worth storing] 
because if it is, maps published after the update can simply be excluded, as they already had the option and chose not to use it. 
This could even go a step beyond and check it against the map creators last active date, if they've been online after the update that allowed for unlimited time then we can assume they chose not to update their map for a reason 
[this one is far fetched since some people came back for 5 mins and just vanished again and still don't know but eh.]

Since corruption would be a MAJOR concern and also assuming the above happens to be true, could one not simply take a test batch of say, 10,000 - 50,000 randomly selected levels?
(move these copies elsewhere and test a script against them until it has a 100% success rate?)

If this all goes well, you should almost certainly make a complete backup of every level file while also giving the players a notice not to make map updates/publishes for a period of time [estimate time to complete the process, up to 2 weeks(?)] unless they're fine with that being potentially rolled back. 
Backing up 200gb~[Never did get the actual current size.] isn't the end of the world imo, we have fast internet and cheap bulk storage drives these days. 

Then run the script on the actual servers. If something goes catastrophic, restore the backup and trash that idea. 

End; I understand you've basically already said no, and for some very sound reasons. Gotta make a post tho ;p
(18th July 2019, 9:28 AM)Zack6723 Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, so since it's actually possible that a whopping handful of players want a 999 second time limit on their map..
Is it possible to filter out maps by publish date? [assuming this data is worth storing] 
because if it is, maps published after the update can simply be excluded, as they already had the option and chose not to use it. 
This could even go a step beyond and check it against the map creators last active date, if they've been online after the update that allowed for unlimited time then we can assume they chose not to update their map for a reason 
[this one is far fetched since some people came back for 5 mins and just vanished again and still don't know but eh.]

Since corruption would be a MAJOR concern and also assuming the above happens to be true, could one not simply take a test batch of say, 10,000 - 50,000 randomly selected levels?
(move these copies elsewhere and test a script against them until it has a 100% success rate?)

If this all goes well, you should almost certainly make a complete backup of every level file while also giving the players a notice not to make map updates/publishes for a period of time [estimate time to complete the process, up to 2 weeks(?)] unless they're fine with that being potentially rolled back. 
Backing up 200gb~[Never did get the actual current size.] isn't the end of the world imo, we have fast internet and cheap bulk storage drives these days. 

Then run the script on the actual servers. If something goes catastrophic, restore the backup and trash that idea. 

End; I understand you've basically already said no, and for some very sound reasons. Gotta make a post tho ;p

I think he means even in the past someone might want the level to have a time limit of 999 (you have to beat in 16:39)
(18th July 2019, 9:37 AM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: [ -> ]I think he means even in the past someone might want the level to have a time limit of 999 (you have to beat in 16:39)
Yeah, that's part of the sound reasoning I was referring to. 
I'm just certain that number is incredibly small. regardless, its enough to stop a change like this unless it had overwhelming support from the current player-base and I acknowledge that.
One thing I thought of was (and I don't know if loading levels works this way) when loading a level check if the time is 999 and if it is, give the user unlimited time without actually modifying the level text file.

Still doesn't avoid that some users may have wanted their levels to have 999 seconds time but it could be a way to do it.
(18th July 2019, 12:28 PM)Stxtics Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I thought of was (and I don't know if loading levels works this way) when loading a level check if the time is 999 and if it is, give the user unlimited time without actually modifying the level text file.

Still doesn't avoid that some users may have wanted their levels to have 999 seconds time but it could be a way to do it.
This right here is actually probably the best way if possible [as long as it's decided to be done, of course]
(18th July 2019, 12:28 PM)Stxtics Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I thought of was (and I don't know if loading levels works this way) when loading a level check if the time is 999 and if it is, give the user unlimited time without actually modifying the level text file.

Now, this is a lot more feasible. The last updated time is listed in all level text files, so theoretically the client could even detect when it was last modified and determine which levels to convert to infinite time that way.
(18th July 2019, 2:23 PM)bls1999 Wrote: [ -> ]Now, this is a lot more feasible. The last updated time is listed in all level text files, so theoretically the client could even detect when it was last modified and determine which levels to convert to infinite time that way.

this would be awesome if you decided to implement it whenever you get time

thanks for your work on this game btw
I remember back in the day when instead of just using 999 seconds you would just set your date back by a day and get 24 more hours to finish a map. I remember when I was still a noob, at 2 in the morning trying to beat Classic traps by devious shadows and I had to keep adding more time so I could finish it.
Added in 157! Smile