Jiggmin's Village

Full Version: Fitness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey'all, 

How are you managing your body health and fitness?

I lost 12kg (26,4lbs) over the last two months by cutting most of the fat/carbs and eating less and well.

Since i'm at home I end up eating alot better than when i had a office job and easy access to sweets/fast food

My next goal is to start building up muscle mass bit by bit (and ofc not going back to my old weight)
that's awesome man! I've been meaning to look into diets and cutting things from what I eat. any tips?
I’m not all for the diet thing.. but i workout about 2-3 times a week for about an hour and a half so that definitely keeps me in a ... decent shape lmao. I drink plenty of water each day and i’ve recently started drinking protein shakes as an after workout meal. Smile
My diet has been pretty healthy the past couple years except for not eating quite enough lately, I've gotten more strict and just need to take the time to learn some more recipes. When it comes to fitness I've been really slacking, although I was set back for a good while at the beginning of the year since I had a hernia repair surgery. I want to get back into the habit of running at least 3 times a week as well as doing a lot of calisthenics and then start making it harder by wearing a weight vest and slowly adding more weight over time. Aside from being really skinny I've still managed to look decent which I attribute to my diet, your diet is definitely the most important thing when it comes to health and how you look but fitness is still essential of course.

(14th June 2020, 6:12 AM)gemj Wrote: [ -> ]that's awesome man! I've been meaning to look into diets and cutting things from what I eat. any tips?

Depends what your goals are, if you simply want to lose weight then truth is you can eat whatever you want, what matters is how much you are consuming vs how much you are burning. I would recommend tracking what you eat, a kitchen scale would help out A LOT in this regard. Once you've figured out how many calories you're typically eating, you simply cut back on that (I'd recommend cutting at least 500 calories, but it all depends). Or you could use a weight goal calculator.

If you're just wanting to eat healthier foods (or maybe doing both, this can apply to the other as well) than the first thing I'd recommend is getting rid of all junk food from the home so there's no temptation. After that, when you go grocery shopping, make sure to go on a full stomach otherwise you'll be tempted to buy junk because you'll be hungry and will want a lot of different things. Another important and very helpful thing to do is meal prep. If you're hungry and don't have a meal ready to go you're a lot more likely to go and get something that's quick but unhealthy. Some people are willing to prepare each and every one of their meals fresh, but a lot of people aren't especially those who are just getting into a new diet and aren't as quick (it simply takes up a lot of time).

Some bonus tips:

- Eat food that is high in volume but low in calories
- Drink a lot of water before a meal
- Get away from drinks with calories, even fruit juices and energy drinks are unhealthy due to being filled with sugar also meaning lots of calories

Edit: Almost forgot, eat food you enjoy! If you don't enjoy what you eat you will not stick to it long term, consistency is key
(14th June 2020, 1:46 PM)David Wrote: [ -> ]My diet has been pretty healthy the past couple years except for not eating quite enough lately, I've gotten more strict and just need to take the time to learn some more recipes. When it comes to fitness I've been really slacking, although I was set back for a good while at the beginning of the year since I had a hernia repair surgery. I want to get back into the habit of running at least 3 times a week as well as doing a lot of calisthenics and then start making it harder by wearing a weight vest and slowly adding more weight over time. Aside from being really skinny I've still managed to look decent which I attribute to my diet, your diet is definitely the most important thing when it comes to health and how you look but fitness is still essential of course.

Depends what your goals are, if you simply want to lose weight then truth is you can eat whatever you want, what matters is how much you are consuming vs how much you are burning. I would recommend tracking what you eat, a kitchen scale would help out A LOT in this regard. Once you've figured out how many calories you're typically eating, you simply cut back on that (I'd recommend cutting at least 500 calories, but it all depends). Or you could use a weight goal calculator.

If you're just wanting to eat healthier foods (or maybe doing both, this can apply to the other as well) than the first thing I'd recommend is getting rid of all junk food from the home so there's no temptation. After that, when you go grocery shopping, make sure to go on a full stomach otherwise you'll be tempted to buy junk because you'll be hungry and will want a lot of different things. Another important and very helpful thing to do is meal prep. If you're hungry and don't have a meal ready to go you're a lot more likely to go and get something that's quick but unhealthy. Some people are willing to prepare each and every one of their meals fresh, but a lot of people aren't especially those who are just getting into a new diet and aren't as quick (it simply takes up a lot of time).

Some bonus tips:

- Eat food that is high in volume but low in calories
- Drink a lot of water before a meal
- Get away from drinks with calories, even fruit juices and energy drinks are unhealthy due to being filled with sugar also meaning lots of calories

*Buys healthy-ish versions of junk food*
For reference, I am 5'10" (177.8 cm).

Ever since the whole pandemic, I have started weight training with my dinky basement home gym (cramped, ceiling of 7-8', weird weight plate sizes, bench max rated weight of 110 lb. (~50 kg)) to build baseline strength/bulk up (break the "skinny-fat" look). Results-wise, I have gone from ~143 - ~150 lb. (65 - 68 kg) with some added strength/definition. Unfortunately, I feel like I am kind of at a plateau because I am at the max for compound lifts (bench limit, no more plates for deadlift, cannot squat due to space/lack of power rack). After that first baseline of strength, last week I have started going more the bodybuilding/hypertrophy route to break that plateau and utilize the equipment better. Max on "big 3" lifts (can do more, but limited by equipment) - Deadlift: ~165 lb (74.8 kg); Bench: ~110 lb. (~50 kg); Squat: N/A.

Regarding nutrition (Caveat: I am not a doctor and everyone's body/needs are different; this is what worked for me): Before this bulk phase, I was on a cut for about a year (not recommended, but it was not uber strict towards the end). I went from ~164 lb. - ~143 (74.4 - 64.9 kg). My problem was I ate healthy foods in unhealthy proportions. I went big on portion control, only eating when necessary, and going low-ish carb (essentially not much carbs for dinner because I did not need them at night). Now, I follow kind of the same, except I transitioned to a surplus of calories instead of a deficit (also being at home means eating a little more junk because I do not want to be "that guy" that refuses to eat any of their mother's homemade baked goods).
I'm such a cave goblin, I hardly ever work out. I did manage to do a semi regular routine during this quarantine (shockingly enough) but with moving and a lot of other stuff going on its hard to keep up, especially cause this isn't something I'm prone to doing.

I just need bigger legs my legs are tiny sticks lol
(14th June 2020, 4:08 PM)Lunanova Wrote: [ -> ]I'm such a cave goblin, I hardly ever work out. I did manage to do a semi regular routine during this quarantine (shockingly enough) but with moving and a lot of other stuff going on its hard to keep up, especially cause this isn't something I'm prone to doing.

I just need bigger legs my legs are tiny sticks lol

I love doing legs, if you ever need help with some ideas on how to get them more muscular let me know ^^
Since the 31st of may I've been doing 30 minutes of rowing a day (on a rowing machine) in two 15 minute sessions.
The machine is from 2003 but still works well. It records calories being burned and according to the machine I'm burning 150 calories every 15 minute session which is 300 a day from rowing.
I also record it on my phone which says 15 minutes of rowing is around 95 calories but my phone doesn't have an option about how fast I am rowing or the difficultly of the rowing so I think the machine is more accurate.
In between the 15 minute sessions I've been doing some muscle training stuff.
I don't know the exact names of these so I will just describe them.
-Pulling down a bar.
-Lifting weights with both legs.
-Pushing arms inwards to lift a weight.
-Bicep curls

I used to go to the gym about twice a week before lockdown but for a while I wasn't get much exercise as I'm working from home which involves me being sat at my desk pretty much all day.

I'm currently about 73kg (160 lbs) and 170cm (5"7) in the morning and I'm mainly going for weight loss but also a bit of muscle growth at the same time.
I've found rowing as been really helping my posture and making a difference in my forearms.
I'm not an expert at this stuff so I might be doing things slightly wrong. If anyone has advice I'm happy to hear it.
(13th June 2020, 11:38 PM)OldMarx Wrote: [ -> ]Hey'all, 

How are you managing your body health and fitness?

I lost 12kg (26,4lbs) over the last two months by cutting most of the fat/carbs and eating less and well.

Since i'm at home I end up eating alot better than when i had a office job and easy access to sweets/fast food

My next goal is to start building up muscle mass bit by bit (and ofc not going back to my old weight)
we love to see that kind of commitment. you keep at it, friend.

i'm not looking for muscle mass (entirely), just hella cardio and hella endurance. i used to borderline track scholarship-tier in track and field, but it was all talent and no hard work. threw that away a couple of years later, and now i'm trying to work myself back up, focusing on mile runs. best case scenario? scholarship actually pulls through. worst case scenario? i get slightly fitter. gold win-win situation here.

i wish you the best of luck on your adonis journey.
Update:

So I just got under 85kg, which is AWESOME. Since i'm living with my mom for now because of COVID we are planning on starting a red meat-less diet (not vegetarian though, since we'll be eating fish and eggs) so things are looking good, the rest of my diet will remain as normal (no bread/sugar as well). I also started a workout routine of 1:30 hour of exercise (push-ups, sit-ups and such) 3x a week and 2:00 of walking 3x a week. It started giving me better focus on my academic goals.

I think by the end of June i should reach under 84kg, which is closer to my endgoal (82kg)

I'm doing this entirely without help from a physician/nutritionist, and i'm planning to see one as soon as COVID calms down a bit (which on the country i'm living will be by the end of the year *laughs nervously*)

Also, Saturday is my cheat day so i'll treat myself with a pizza to celebrate this achievement (and running 10km tommorow to compensate)