Jiggmin's Village

Full Version: METAL MEGATHREAD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mainly making this for nostalgia and as a legacy to the original thread in JV1.

Discuss all things metal! (The musical genre, you dummy)
I've been meaning to start getting into metal for a while actually. any recommendations/places to start?
(5th July 2020, 3:07 AM)gemj Wrote: [ -> ]I've been meaning to start getting into metal for a while actually. any recommendations/places to start?

Not sure if it's efficient to decide and jump blindly into the metal scene, and I doubt there's any sort of tutorial, but eh let me try Tongue

I'd recommend trying to find a sub-genre or a few that you like at first, then only after go out and listen to albums and etc. A good way to test a certain genre is to listen to compilations. Whether it is your workout/study music, background music for gaming or active listening, you can get a glimpse of what the genre is about. I'd suggest Youtube cause that's all I'm very familiar with, but I'm sure Spotify Soundcloud or whatever else can also be great. There are plenty of channels who will propose 30 mins to 2 hours lists of songs that usually fit the same sub-genre and/or sometimes a theme.

First things off though, you'll need to actually know what genres there are out there. Not gonna name groups, cause for most of these I'm not that knowledgeable, but Google is your friend, and like I said it's better to start with general listening. This ain't an exhaustive list by any means (trust me, metalheads can get VERY creative and specific lol), it simply shows the main branching points. If you want a more complete list, click here. You can check detailed descriptions there too. Pretty much all of these have derivatives and sub sub-genres Tongue

Heavy metal
Grunge / punk rock (very early metal to some extent) ?
Glam metal
Speed metal
Trash metal
Black metal
Death metal
Doom metal
Nu metal
Grindcore
Metalcore
Progressive metal
Symphonic metal
Power metal
Folk metal

It's tough to navigate through all of this, so I suggest trying to stick to one genre first, figure out if you like some of its stuff or not, and then move on from there. Some sub-genres are similar, and the differences can also get very obvious.

Once you've found a sub-genre that you particularly like, now it's time to get into groups. You can either take your favourites from what you've heard and look at more of them, or continue searching for new material, but either way, I advise using Metal Archives:

https://www.metal-archives.com/

Tonnes of info about bans and members, complete discography with lyrics, very neat classification, details, reviews and more. It's easy to discover things you are likely to enjoy.

This should be a good start for any one willing to get into the metal world. I wouldn't give it a shot if you're only doing it as a chore, but if you genuinely start having a good time, it's worth it. A few people here are probably well informed on different sub-genres (@a7x3, @JEEJAYEM, @"Al Jolson" on the top of my head).

I'm a power metal nerd newbie if you ever need me ^^
(5th July 2020, 3:07 AM)gemj Wrote: [ -> ]I've been meaning to start getting into metal for a while actually. any recommendations/places to start?

I personally recommend watching videos that compile the subgenres so you can listen to them next to each other and recognize stylistic differences between them. Itll help you in navigating the world of metal and discovering what you like.
Huge fan of metalcore and have been since I was in secondary school B)
I'm not a huge fan of metal but there is some that I really like. White Zombie, Rob Zombie, and Rammstein is what immediately comes to mind although I don't listen to any of their newer stuff (White Zombie isn't even around), just some older classics that I grew up listening to. I'll list a few favorites from each:

White Zombie: Super-Charger Heaven, I'm Your Boogieman, and More Human Than Human
Rob Zombie: Demonoid Phenomenon, Superbeast, and Dragula
Rammstein: Spiel Mit Mir, Sehnsucht, and Ich Will

All great songs that also make for excellent work-out music
Check out Buckethead. He's a guitarist that has over 300 albums that cover just about every genre you can think of.
brb while I revive the old "Prog Megathread"

I guess I have not listened to much metal recently, since I have been going through a punk phase, mainly the skate sub-genre. To name a few hardcore ones: Agent Orange, The Meatmen, Suicidal Tendencies, and Millions of Dead Cops (MDC for short; also, very topical with current events). With metal, my favorites are Iron Maiden and Megadeth.
(5th July 2020, 6:39 AM)TRUC Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if it's efficient to decide and jump blindly into the metal scene, and I doubt there's any sort of tutorial, but eh let me try Tongue

I'd recommend trying to find a sub-genre or a few that you like at first, then only after go out and listen to albums and etc. A good way to test a certain genre is to listen to compilations. Whether it is your workout/study music, background music for gaming or active listening, you can get a glimpse of what the genre is about. I'd suggest Youtube cause that's all I'm very familiar with, but I'm sure Spotify Soundcloud or whatever else can also be great. There are plenty of channels who will propose 30 mins to 2 hours lists of songs that usually fit the same sub-genre and/or sometimes a theme.

First things off though, you'll need to actually know what genres there are out there. Not gonna name groups, cause for most of these I'm not that knowledgeable, but Google is your friend, and like I said it's better to start with general listening. This ain't an exhaustive list by any means (trust me, metalheads can get VERY creative and specific lol), it simply shows the main branching points. If you want a more complete list, click here. You can check detailed descriptions there too. Pretty much all of these have derivatives and sub sub-genres Tongue

Heavy metal
Grunge / punk rock (very early metal to some extent) ?
Glam metal
Speed metal
Trash metal
Black metal
Death metal
Doom metal
Nu metal
Grindcore
Metalcore
Progressive metal
Symphonic metal
Power metal
Folk metal

It's tough to navigate through all of this, so I suggest trying to stick to one genre first, figure out if you like some of its stuff or not, and then move on from there. Some sub-genres are similar, and the differences can also get very obvious.

Once you've found a sub-genre that you particularly like, now it's time to get into groups. You can either take your favourites from what you've heard and look at more of them, or continue searching for new material, but either way, I advise using Metal Archives:

https://www.metal-archives.com/

Tonnes of info about bans and members, complete discography with lyrics, very neat classification, details, reviews and more. It's easy to discover things you are likely to enjoy.

This should be a good start for any one willing to get into the metal world. I wouldn't give it a shot if you're only doing it as a chore, but if you genuinely start having a good time, it's worth it. A few people here are probably well informed on different sub-genres (@a7x3, @JEEJAYEM, @"Al Jolson" on the top of my head).

I'm a power metal nerd newbie if you ever need me ^^

appreciate this a lot man! I wouldn't say I'm jumping in blind; if being very familiar with grunge and prog/alt rock is a starting point then I'm there. I've dabbled in some niche metal bands that I've been recommended before, but I never really went whole hog, you know?

I'll probably be sticking to Spotify for most of this, but I'l have a muck around with YouTube too. I would say I sort of know what I want to look into, i.e. probably not glam rock and nu metal but everything else is fair game. I think you bring up a good point in sticking with what I like, so in the days coming I think I'll find a starting point and see what I can grab out of it. I had a look at Metal Archives; thank you for the resource (and the reply ^_^)!
(5th July 2020, 9:43 AM)JEEJAYEM Wrote: [ -> ]I personally recommend watching videos that compile the subgenres so you can listen to them next to each other and recognize stylistic differences between them. Itll help you in navigating the world of metal and discovering what you like.

(5th July 2020, 6:14 PM)Legend Wrote: [ -> ]Check out Buckethead. He's a guitarist that has over 300 albums that cover just about every genre you can think of.

will do, thank you both!

I've only really just discovered these guys and I think it's the best video ever made tbh
Youve havent seen anyone (properly) spaz out on a guitar until youve seen this dude play

My favorite band rn. Their latest album, The Decaying Light, imo perfected the balance of pretty and br00tal riffs.

Any A7X fans here?
(28th July 2020, 11:01 AM)GI_John Wrote: [ -> ]Any A7X fans here?

not a hardcore fan, but i listen to either bat country or beast and harlot about once a month

great band, seen them twice, even better live Big Grin
I love when metal gets more atmospheric, like in French band, Alcest songs.

See "Sapphire" for example: 
Rewriting lyrics for one of my bands songs and I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with so far after 30 minutes or so...constructive criticism would be nice

https://prnt.sc/vn8ziz

I have plans of recording every song with a different line-up (most likely gonna be long distance) and releasing an album or EP

This is hella late, but where do you think I got my name from? Wink
Pages: 1 2