Jiggmin's Village

Full Version: Ruffle: Status of Browser Play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed a plugin called Ruffle on JV. This is a WIP by a team of very talented developers aiming to restore flash functionality to web browsers.

Since the plugin is still in its infancy, there are many things that don't work properly. This thread has a rundown of what works and what doesn't. I'll continue to update it as new builds of Ruffle are added to the site; however, since it would be extremely tedious for me to go back and examine every game after every new Ruffle release, please check on your favorite games every now and then to see if the functionality has changed from my notes.

To view Ruffle's overall progress, you can visit the AS2 and AS3 tracking issues on Ruffle's GitHub repo.

General Notes
  • Nothing past Platform Racing works (including the JV bubbles and F@H team banner). This is because Ruffle doesn't support AS3 yet. The only games listed below are built with AS2.
  • No multiplayer games work. You can follow the status of the AS2 XMLSocket class implementation here.
  • Lots of textures and shading are broken or unstable (i.e., sometimes the screen will flash at random times).
  • Many of the "Jiggmin.com" intro screens don't show the website text or have trouble displaying the pixel effects.
  • Some text buttons are difficult to click (you have to put your mouse over the actual text of the button rather than where you'd expect the hit area to be)
  • Right-click menus have added Ruffle elements.
  • Text selection seems to be broken in most instances.
  • Quality-based controls are broken (i.e., low/med/high quality selection)
  • All tests are done on a Mac/Chromium environment.

Games that run flawlessly:
Games that have only some minor graphical/sound glitches:
  • Uber Breakout 2 – small volume NaN and menu screen loop glitch, incorrect hash on score submission for minigame

Games that can be completed, despite major graphical/sound glitches:
  • Red Earth II – animations/sounds remain in a heavy loop, graphical decay occurs
  • Beat Master 3000 – there's a pretty heavy desync across sound channels (i.e., sound effects and music)

Games that can't be completed but can still be played:
  • None at the moment! \0/

Games that don't work at all:

Updates
  • 16 Jan 2021: Red Earth's textures have been fixed.
  • 17 Jan 2021: All high-scores submissions work now! Orbit has been upgraded to "works flawlessly."
  • 28 Jan 2021: Sound support has been improved! The "Uber" games work great and BM3K actually starts now.
  • 18 Apr 2022: Uber Pool and Rolley Ball now work flawlessly. Uber Breakout 2 no longer freaks out on the opening screen.
  • 25 Apr 2022: Added some links to the Ruffle GitHub repo for status tracking.
  • 20 Jan 2023: Graphics update! The menu in Kimblis the Blue now displays correctly, and the errors in Red Earth and TGoD are gone. All 3 now work flawlessly. Also, many of the Jiggmin.com intro screens now display properly.
  • 2 Mar 2023: Cooties now works flawlessly! All AS2 games now have mobile keyboard support. I also added a message above every game on this site explaining Ruffle and linking to this thread. TadTad will love this one :)
  • 11 Mar 2023: Mines has been upgraded to works flawlessly! Turns out the visual bug that was listed was present in the original SWF.