Jiggmin's Village

Full Version: Tournament Server Change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It'd only make a slight difference, but for the efforts of PR2 fashion, could the tournament settings not remove the hats, but just make them effectively only cosmetic?
Hm. . . I sort of like how the tournament server is set up, where an admin can change the stats and hat that is to be worn mannually.

However, it would be nice if there was sort of a "Sandbox Server" which allowed you to have 100 100 100 and all hats. However, you would not be awarded any exp, or be able to race anyone else. This would also be nice for speedrunners to optimize strats, and allow everyone to be on the same playing field when it came to recording their own personal runs.
Changing the code to allow for the hats to be cosmetic-only seems like it would have the potential to cause some serious issues. I do quite like the sandbox server idea, though.
Yeah, the difficulties make sense. The sandbox server and all sound better. I didn't think about the tournament server as anything but the GGP, but there is clearly more to it than that now. Things are just usually rather quiet there.
It'd be cool if tourney let player 1 choose stats (of any value, 300pts) but it said at the start of the race which stats were used (and everyone has the same stats)
not sure on the sandbox idea.. it's like fullllly defeating the point of ranking up, stat points may as well not be awarded on rank-up
(16th February 2021, 2:03 PM)bazooka Wrote: [ -> ]not sure on the sandbox idea.. it's like fullllly defeating the point of ranking up, stat points may as well not be awarded on rank-up

I mean, imo isn't the tournament server basically a sandbox for players who aren't in the rank 40's yet? Yeah I know mostly there's high ranks roaming around like 50+ but a sandbox would be nice to test things.

For ex; On BTD5 on sandbox mode, you have unlimited amount of $, towers to test out what strategy you can do and can't do going against whatever you want to get send out. 

What I think a sandbox in PR2 should look like is that maybe in that 'Server' we can get access to when we login is; 

1) Our account be Rank 142 with the 8 rank tokens to be 150 (that way it won't break anything if it goes beyond 150?

2) Get access to all sets and hats

3) Just like @Camer the Dragon said when you enter the race P1 can pick what stats to use for the map

Once you log off from that server, everything will go back as how you had it

If I remember correctly, we had a server that was like that when we did an anniversary of PR2 when we were rank 2008 or so, if we can do that we can do this Tongue
So, food for thought.

I don't think many people would solely play on the sandbox mode and I dont think it would defeat the purpose of ranking up because:

1) People don't play the sandbox mode to play by themselves
2) Your account is not in the sandbox mode, your account is logged into Derron. So anything that you do in sandbox mode effectively goes away.
3) You can't chat or interact with people, which is why pr2 got so popular to begin with. It wasn't Called "Platform Solo 2"

I think people would enjoy it (like myself):

1) People could participate in contests using the required number of stat points if they are too low of a rank to use rank 45.
2) Testing things, in game, would be really beneficial for speedrunners.
3) Players would get a chance to also practice maps, with any stats they want.
Ok so players that want to speedrun or practise a map that requires higher stat points, why not just add the 300 stat points, things can still be tested with this. The rest is redundant (all parts and possible all the hats) and doesn't need to be added. I think if people have all the sets and rank 150, why would anyone want to revert back to normal PR2 after they have EVERYTHING they ever wanted in PR?
(19th February 2021, 11:37 AM)bazooka Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so players that want to speedrun or practise a map that requires higher stat points, why not just add the 300 stat points, things can still be tested with this. The rest is redundant (all parts and possible all the hats) and doesn't need to be added. I think if people have all the sets and rank 150, why would anyone want to revert back to normal PR2 after they have EVERYTHING they ever wanted in PR?
Well that's just it. Sandbox mode means that it is not on the player's account. I agree that the sets would be a bit overkill, but the stat points would allow for the players to practice and stuff as mentioned before.
However, I don't think players would stay attached to the sandbox mode as it would mean they 1) cannot earn exp from it, and 2) It is simply for testing and practicing, You don't traditionally race by yourself unless you are speedrunning.

With this sandbox mode, players could do SotW a lot better
Speedrunners like Bi3liu, myself, and many other people could get insanely good times on maps and add a lot more interesting speedruns to the list.
And it most importantly a sandbox mode, a means of trying out new things that you wouldn't normally be able to do otherwise.