Jiggmin's Village
SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Printable Version

+- Jiggmin's Village (https://jiggmin2.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Village Central (https://jiggmin2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Discussion Hall (https://jiggmin2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! (/showthread.php?tid=4059)

SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Different - 26th September 2022

[Image: S09wUi4.jpg]

Your computer loaded this thread pretty fast, huh? Enjoy it. It's very pleasing to see things load quickly, upload quickly, and download quickly, right?! But, do you remember the old days, when none of this ever occurred? I'm talking about the stone ages from the 90s to early 2000s... you know, when we were at the mercy of DSL & Dial-up internet service during that time; cringey right?! Most of us were still too young to remember those days.

All that damn high latency, buffering, extremely poor download speeds, upload speeds, and the dreadfulness of having to wait for a damn page to load is enough to make your skin crawl, having your hair stand up; yikes! Forget about streaming games, bruh. That was unheard of because it would potentially become a joke around that time, if someone were stupid enough to make it a thing.

Nowadays, we got our precious little WIFI routers, faster internet services like Spectrum, Xfinity, Mediacom, etc. Also too, who could ever forget our precious, ULTRA-HIGH 5G internet service, with greater bandwidth and download speeds. All of this stuff gets the job done quickly because we're able to navigate through web pages, much more efficiently.

Being able to stream HD videos on Netflix that far exceed 1080(60)p, is just icing on the cake with what we have, now. Think about your monitors, cameras, smartphones, TVs, etc. Anything that you are currently paying for, or paid for at a premium price, you will receive premium service, as long as you have the internet speeds and bandwidth capacity to meet those demands.

Take all that stuff away, and I promise you your feelings will get hurt, really fast. You'll end up going to the corner somewhere, crying like a baby.

"OMG, my life is over! I don't have fast internet service anymore! Why does my monitor make so much noise! I can't upload pictures on instagram or post on twitter because my internet takes hours to communicate with these sites!" Lmfao! Most of you would be shedding tears of misery, if you had to use Dial-up or DSL internet service today! šŸ˜‚

Now, think about this for a second... 20 years ago, if you were to try and click on this thread, it would take hours just to get here! Or hell, even just logging in, rebooting your monitor, or restarting your monitor would take forever, right? You'd hear that old beeping noise, often because you had that damn, Dial-Up internet service, running at 56kbps, yuck! Oh and don't even get me started on watching videos, downloading things, etc. Now, just imagine trying to download or upload files with 9.6-56kbps. Do you realize how slow that is??!

[Image: NC3A1T2.jpg]

What if a devastating, world-wide power outage destroyed what we currently have today, leaving us with nothing but 1G flip phones, Dial-Up internet, shitty TVs, and monitors with poor graphics below 480p with shitty frame rates? We'd all be devastated, right? It's like taking candy from a baby, reintroducing you to the Stone Age days.

I'm not gonna ramble on too much more about the details, just check out these useful links that I found, interesting.

WIFI Evolution
Speed Requirements
The History of the Internet
Best Internet Speed Testing Apps
Fastest High Speed Internet Service Providers

RE: SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Mia - 28th September 2022

"Mom get off the phone, I'm trying to play Neopets!"

"Wow, my 5 minute video loaded after 20 minutes!"

The internet past definitely tested our patience levels. Back when a gigabyte was a ton of storage space.

RE: SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Master Raiden - 28th September 2022

As someone who used to have slow, unreliable internet with tiny bandwidth, slow internet is torture.

My speed was about 4 Mbps, and when someone went on YouTube, that would drop to about 2 Mbps. And if I was playing an online game, my ping would spike to over 300 which madeĀ the gameĀ almost unplayable. It was seriously frustrating, and I couldn't commit toĀ online matches very often because I feared huge lag and potential loss of connection. Also, having your internet go out when someone picks up the phone is super annoying. I had to deal with that for a long time.

There's not really that much you can do without an internet connection nowadays. Having a computer with super slow or no internet is like having an MP3 player with no music on it.

RE: SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Camer the Dragon - 28th September 2022

56kbps sounds like pain lol
I honestly don't remember what it was like ages ago aside from sometimes I'd watch YT vids in 144p cos the regular 240p/360p wouldn't load fast (this'd've been around 2009-2010)

atm we have like 30Mbps down and 10Mbps up

RE: SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Dan-83 - 28th September 2022

Imagine what life was like with NO internet. It's a different world.

RE: SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Different - 29th September 2022

(28th September 2022, 8:33 AM)MasterĀ Raiden Wrote: My speed was about 4 Mbps, and when someone went on YouTube, that would drop to about 2 Mbps. And if I was playing an online game, my ping would spike to over 300 which madeĀ the gameĀ almost unplayable. It was seriously frustrating, and I couldn't commit toĀ online matches very often because I feared huge lag and potential loss of connection. Also, having your internet go out when someone picks up the phone is super annoying. I had to deal with that for a long time.

Yeah, it was very painful having to deal with tiny megabytes, all the time. Especially going online, knowing someone could be busy on the other end, watching videos and stuff. Even just downloading files at the 4 Mbps rate, would probably take you days to get it to go through. I only played online games at night, though. That was the best time to play when most people were sleeping.

(28th September 2022, 6:52 PM)CamerĀ theĀ Dragon Wrote: 56kbps sounds like pain lol
I honestly don't remember what it was like ages ago aside from sometimes I'd watch YT vids in 144p cos the regular 240p/360p wouldn't load fast (this'd've been around 2009-2010)

atm we have like 30Mbps down and 10Mbps up

Haha yes, it is. You can't hardly get anything done, fast enough at that rate. 2009-2010? šŸ¤” Depends on your monitor. A pretty decent one could probably get you at least 720p. 720p was out around that time. But, I understand not everyone can afford a decent monitor.

RE: SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Camer the Dragon - 29th September 2022

(29th September 2022, 10:04 AM)Different Wrote: Haha yes, it is. You can't hardly get anything done, fast enough at that rate. 2009-2010? šŸ¤” Depends on your monitor. A pretty decent one could probably get you at least 720p. 720p was out around that time. But, I understand not everyone can afford a decent monitor.

I meant the internet
like it wasn't strong enough for that

RE: SLOW INTERNET - UNIVERSAL PET PEEVE! - Different - 29th September 2022

(29th September 2022, 4:34 PM)CamerĀ theĀ Dragon Wrote: I meant the internet
like it wasn't strong enough for that

Oh ok, I see what you mean. Yeah, I used to get that issue happen to me a lot, with my old Samsung Galaxy S2 that I had, 10 years ago. Every time I'd try 720p, it would buffer and knock me down to 480p.