End-of-Life Notice for AS2 Games
On October 1, the following games will reach their end-of-life for updates and support:

What exactly does this mean?

This means that no client-side updates or bug fixes will be pushed to games made with ActionScript 2. It will not affect your ability to play the games in their current state, whether that be through Flash or Ruffle.

Will the servers for _____ still be running?

This end-of-life does not affect high scores pages or the servers for the multiplayer games.

Will they still be playable in the browser?

This end-of-life does not affect Ruffle compatibility or any potential future HTML/JS conversion.

Why is this happening?

The latest Adobe program that supports exporting to ActionScript 2 is Adobe Flash CS6, a 32-bit application. Since Mac OS Mojave is the last version of Mac OS that offers support for 32-bit applications, I have been running that version in order to preserve support for these games. By not updating, I'm exposing myself to security vulnerabilities and missing out on some of the newest features.

How should I prepare?

Please report any bugs in the listed games before October 1. I will do my best to fix any that can be fixed in ActionScript. These are separate from the status of Ruffle compatibility.

How do you feel about it?

While it's definitely sad to say goodbye to the ability to update these games, most of the management for things like high scores and socket servers is done server-side. Most will eventually work with Ruffle, so it's not like the Flash EOL that blew everything up. I think, for the most part, this won't have much of an effect on your day-to-day enjoyment of these games.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, Ashley766, Camer the Dragon, Dangevin, Drflash55, Eternal, Lego-man945, LuniFoxo, Master Raiden, Panther, Stunt
big L for me and the two other Game of Disorientation fans
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999
(13th September 2022, 6:15 PM)Northadox Wrote: big L for me and the two other Game of Disorientation fans

You'll still be able to play the games; however, official support for client modifications will be dropped. This probably won't have an effect on your day-to-day enjoyment of the games.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
Is it only affecting Platform Racing (1), and not PR2?
(14th September 2022, 11:36 AM)bls1999 Wrote: You'll still be able to play the games; however, official support for client modifications will be dropped. This probably won't have an effect on your day-to-day enjoyment of the games.

what do you MEAN I can't expect client updates from my five minute long nearly two-decade old flash game??? I was so looking forward to buying the season pass!! i need to consume the content!!!!
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, bls1999, Camer the Dragon
(14th September 2022, 7:05 PM)Battlealvin2009 Wrote: Is it only affecting Platform Racing (1), and not PR2?

PR2 is AS3 p sure
á
(14th September 2022, 8:29 PM)Northadox Wrote: what do you MEAN I can't expect client updates from my five minute long nearly two-decade old flash game??? I was so looking forward to buying the season pass!! i need to consume the content!!!!

D:

(14th September 2022, 7:05 PM)Battlealvin2009 Wrote: Is it only affecting Platform Racing (1), and not PR2?

The affected games are in a list in the thread.

The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox