Skilled Trades
Goodmorning everyone! 

Skilled Trades.... Did your high school, or middle school, or whichever education you’re in or have completed, provide you with information about skilled Trades or any hands on experience or opportunity to learn about them? 

I believe (at least in America) that skilled Trades are vital, primarily because I don’t feel that schools pressure or introduce them, and their importance to civilization. Had I known the education skilled Trades offer, and the enjoyment and fullfillment I receive from working with my hands, I would’ve pursuited a career in skilled trades immediately after high school. However I didn’t learn you could make every bit of 100,000 a year and earn a degree until I was 21. I’m just just curious, and hoping to potentially open this door of opportunity to someone else.

Have a wonderful day ladies and gents!

-Drexxo
Nope. My high school (U.S.A.) was for the most part, “Four year university and that is it.” At the same time, my high school did not have the money to have these programs anyway.

I am kind of bummed about this because I was kind of taught that phrase my entire life and did not look at the positives of a trade since I do work better with my hands than theoretical (also the programs are significantly cheaper). At least I did find a major in my university that is kind of a trade, so I do get hands-on training (piloting).
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Drexxo
(13th July 2018, 8:34 AM)Uptight 534 Wrote: Nope. My high school (U.S.A.) was for the most part, “Four year university and that is it.” At the same time, my high school did not have the money to have these programs anyway.

I am kind of bummed about this because I was kind of taught that phrase my entire life and did not look at the positives of a trade since I do work better with my hands than theoretical (also the programs are significantly cheaper). At least I did find a major in my university that is kind of a trade, so I do get hands-on training (piloting).

I had the same instance where my high school presses and pressed ‘go to college, get a degree!’ 

I’m insanely thankful I didn’t. My apprenticeship (5 Years) gave me a associates degree and covered all tuition, book costs, etc. all at no cost to me as long as I worked for a signatory contractor for 5 years post completion. $75,000 worth of schooling and training, at no costs to me.
That's a solid no. It was always "go to college!" at my school. Very few people I know went into the workforce or vocational school straight out of high school. Those who did were considered "unintelligent", "messed up", or "under-achievers" (not my words).

My favorite video that highlights the misinformed nature of that stereotype is this one (swear warning):

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Drexxo
Basically what bls said, my high school was "go to college." My entire grade except for two people went to college but they knew what they wanted to do so they were fine.
[Image: VnNsnRk.gif]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to thique For This Useful Post:
  • Drexxo
In Australia, we have a thing called TAFE, Technical and Further Education. It's basically trades uni/college. You get hands on workshops, employment options and learn from workers in the industry you'd like to work in.
I never went to TAFE, I live in Croatia now anyway, so I don't know many of the specifics, but TAFE is a popular option for many. All the tradies, sparkies and chippies (translated: tradesmen, electricians and carpenters) usually go to TAFE and it's state run with low fees.
I graduated 2016 and I believe over half of my grade went to uni/college with some going to TAFE and some taking a gap year, which I took two of. x)
I plan to go to university next year, but I'm not so sure how that will work out. I may have to move to Zagreb and board with my extended family, let alone fees and juggling work and whatever studies I end up taking, most likely law/business or language studies (to become a consular official etc.).
I'm not really sure if America has anything like this, but it's a good option for hands-on workers.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to gemj For This Useful Post:
  • Drexxo
My high school was also a "prepare for college" type of school. I had a lot of fun sticking with my old buddies and playing varsity basketball and field hockey for the school. Our rival school which was just down the street was a vocational trade school that specialized in Wood Shop, Cosmetology, Engineering basics, Auto Detailing and mechanics, and even culinary too. The culinary kids would actually cook for the school which not only provided great hands-on training but produced amazing food as well along with their indoor vegetable solar farm which was brand new at the time.
               Friendly Gamer and car enthusiast. Feel free to add me on Steam or on the Nintendo Switch if you have one!
                                                                     Click here to add me on Steam!
                                                                  Nintendo Friend Code: 3379-6009-5501
                                                                                 Inspirational Quote
                                                          [Image: mczzo9.png]