Goliathe Grand Prix
GGP Judge Applications are closed, new judges will be announced soon.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=714605&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC][Image: sigimage.php?u=735689&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Stxtics For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
Congrats to @Ashley766 and @Dolphiner on becoming GGP Judges.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=714605&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC][Image: sigimage.php?u=735689&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stxtics For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, gemj
bump
-AspectZero
To make sure people know this contest is still going I'm going to say what parts were awarded when I update the scores.
  • Ashley766, IHaveDaCowboyz
didn't even realize i had a level in this. neat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fresh Cookies For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, gemj
150 Points! GGP Part 3 when?
-AspectZero
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to AspectZero For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766
Congratulations to @AspectZero for getting the Mystery Prize! It's been over a year since someone got it.
Also @IHaveDaCowboyz has been awarded the reindeer feet.
  • Ashley766, AspectZero
Let the grind begin :3
Congratulations to @bi3liu for completing Part 1 of GGP.
Also @IHaveDaCowboyz has been awarded the reindeer body.
  • Ashley766, bi3liu
The last update of the year and to go with the season its a me mario has been awarded reindeer feet and body for participating in GGP.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Stxtics For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766
First update of 2020:
@IHaveDaCowboyz has been awarded an epic reindeer head.
And a certain someone is very close to completing part 2...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stxtics For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bi3liu, IHaveDaCowboyz

just gonna post vids of my takes in here, since TRUC is unable to take vids. hope this is fine.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Fresh Cookies For This Useful Post:
  • TRUC
(16th April 2020, 1:45 AM)Fresh Cookies Wrote:

just gonna post vids of my takes in here, since TRUC is unable to take vids. hope this is fine.

all runs need to be done and spectated by an official GGP judge, so this run is not official. contact any of the judges to do your runs with!
(16th April 2020, 11:59 AM)IHaveDaCowboyz Wrote: all runs need to be done and spectated by an official GGP judge, so this run is not official. contact any of the judges to do your runs with!
Isn't truc in the video watching his runs?
[Image: 7yFzNKY.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~JBG~ For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bls1999
(16th April 2020, 1:45 AM)Fresh Cookies Wrote:

If this is allowed I'll be doing my runs the same.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=818553&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
(16th April 2020, 11:59 AM)IHaveDaCowboyz Wrote: all runs need to be done and spectated by an official GGP judge, so this run is not official. contact any of the judges to do your runs with!

(16th April 2020, 12:17 PM)Al Jolson Wrote: Isn't truc in the video watching his runs?

(16th April 2020, 2:47 PM)bazooka Wrote: If this is allowed I'll be doing my runs the same.

I haven't been around for a while, but yep sadly recording PR2 at the moment would very likely end up in me DCing half of the time. I let Fresh Cookies record himself, that's even a disadvantage for him, but I was there watching the run the whole time.

If this happens again in the future, I will thank posts of runs I confirm.
If you're reading this, it means I have not made a cool signature yet and you should be proud of yourself.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to TRUC For This Useful Post:
  • IHaveDaCowboyz
TRUC is still a judge. As long as this was his first run with a judge of the day this is fine. Although I would prefer this to be done in the actual judging format and posted in the correct thread. I'll look through this video and make a post.

@Fresh Cookies please don't delete that video as it will be used as evidence.
  • Ashley766, Fresh Cookies
I've been thinking recently about the more hardcore side of PR2 and perhaps returning to this challenge once again, but there's just one tenant about the GGP that just baffles me.

(31st August 2018, 11:25 PM)Dagg Wrote: - Only 1 attempt per day, on 1 account only.

What was the thinking behind this rule? I'm trying to think of the justifications in my head, and while there are some mild positives, I just think in large it hurts this challenge's appeal to many simply because it's needlessly punishing and grating, which I think is especially grating to the small population the game has had. I've had this sentiment for a while now, I just had the impetus to make an argument against it only recently. To counter some potential justifications:

1) Judge scheduling. Some judges don't have the time and day to sit on a person continually trying to best their scores, and while that can be an issue, it's entirely in the judge's power to state that they're unavailable. Really, if a person wants to try a cup again the same day, what is the harm in that, judging-wise?

2) Straight up being punishing. It is a challenge, and for a game with such as long of a legacy as PR2, it's equally expected for all participants to have been honing their skills in that time. The skill element is already present with getting the best times possible on all levels on a given cup, and with the daily limit, you're just giving needless stress on a player. With PR2 itself, you have infinite tries on any given stage if you're trying to beat it. It's not like The Legend boots you out if you fail to beat it in time when you're trying to overcome that damn vanish block section and forces you to wait a day to try again. If we consider GGP as an extension of PR2, I've never heard of any other game putting limits on attempting things unless it's a mobile game where waiting is a mechanic used to encourage the player to purchase premium currency to skip over it. As it stands, it's needless tedium and an arbitrary source for tension during the races, and not because of the levels themselves.

3) Prize exploitation. Suppose this rule didn't exist; now, allegedly, someone could continually do the challenge and reap the rewards of it with no time in between. This is, really, a complete non-issue. If someone is good enough to conquer the challenge, they should definitely be entitled to claim its rewards at any time because they've earned it with their superb racing skills. Platform Racing 3 rewards prizes for acquiring a good enough par time on campaign levels; pretty much what GGP is going for, sans the multiple-level aspect to it. There is no waiting period, there is no imbalance. PR3's time trial system is what GGP pretty much is, but considering updating PR2 with a time trial system like that is hard, GGP should simply be the substitute for that with a handpicked assortment of levels and nothing more.

4) Tradition. This is probably the biggest point on why it's still a rule. This contest was assuredly started by TRUC (hence the lovely Goliathe namesake) over on JV many years ago by now, and since then, many contestants have triumphed despite the harshness of the rule. Changing it now would only be a disservice to those who overcame the challenge before, but must it really? One can practice as many times as needed before giving a cup a shot on any given day. In addition, as the rules state, you can only try one cup per day. Why? If a player wants to try multiple cups in a day, I see no reason why not, provided judges are available. A contestant can practice as much as they'd wish beforehand and the daily time restriction only serves to act as an arbitrary source of annoyance.

Keep in mind that I'm not contesting the cup format, just the arbitrary try restriction, because consistently getting good times on a bunch of levels in a row is an agreeable challenge and fair in itself. The day waiting mechanic has no reason to exist, considering judge availability isn't an issue, it being a terribly arbitrary reason for difficulty, guarantees awards all the same, and honestly, seems like it's only present because it was originally there. What if the player makes a small mistake, or their connection acts up all the sudden, or if they're interrupted in the middle of a cup? What if they're really keen on clearing all the cups with flawless times, but are swamped with work with a scant few days of free time to give it a go? They'll all have to cope with the daily limit despite everything, and for this, I ask: what's wrong with giving it the boot?

I dug up this brief Discord conversation on the JV2 server and I'm glad AspectZero agrees with me on this. Stxtics agrees with Ashley over "it being too easy for you to do it again and that would be OP", but I strongly concur with Aspect who says that there's no difference besides the arbitrary wait time. Practice is practice at the end of the day. A determined player will still be able to conquer the challenges, with the wait times only acting as a needless barrier.

I hope whoever has authority over this challenge gives my argument a serious consideration, because I'd love to get back into this knowing that I can try it as many times as I'd like without the stupid and unnecessary tension the daily limit provides.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, AspectZero, Camer the Dragon, Fresh Cookies, Lego-man945, Minimania
(18th April 2020, 1:19 AM)Northadox Wrote: I've been thinking recently about the more hardcore side of PR2 and perhaps returning to this challenge once again, but there's just one tenant about the GGP that just baffles me.

What was the thinking behind this rule? I'm trying to think of the justifications in my head, and while there are some mild positives, I just think in large it hurts this challenge's appeal to many simply because it's needlessly punishing and grating, which I think is especially grating to the small population the game has had. I've had this sentiment for a while now, I just had the impetus to make an argument against it only recently. To counter some potential

First, judges are not around 24/7. This is not a contest that is supposed to be beaten in a single day. It will require practice, and you get one try with the judges, this causes your mind to be under psychological pressure. If you had unlimited tries, this pressure wouldn't be there.
-AspectZero
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AspectZero For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Fresh Cookies, IHaveDaCowboyz, Northadox, Stxtics
(18th April 2020, 1:19 AM)Northadox Wrote: -snip- (post about 1 run a day)

This is the one reason I won't do this
I can't do PR2 precisely under pressure well so having 1 chance a day is an instant no to me doing this (I did a bit before but the 1 a day is just not good for me, reminds me of exams lol)
The pressure makes you perform worse than the average which is eugh
á
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Fresh Cookies, Lego-man945, Master Raiden, Northadox