A Guide for the Clueless Temporary Moderator
Have you ever been a temporary moderator and been unsure of what to do?  Have you questioned when it is justifiable to warn or not?  Here are some examples of common scenarios you might encounter as a temp mod.  After each example, I will either say "Don't Warn" or "Warn".

Swearing

When someone swears, you warn them, right? Not necessarily. Here are some examples of a few different scenarios, and whether or not the user should be given a warning.

Let "ruck" take the place of any common swear word.

Example 1:

LCPD: hi
Clairehof: Ruck you!
LCPD: aww thanks!

Warn - The user swore at another and it was not filtered.

Example 2:

e46m3: Hey
Clairehof: Ru ..... ck
e46m3: tisk tisk

Warn - Even if a swear word is spaced out, it is still a swear word.

Example 3:

LCPD: howdy
Clairehof: fooey!!
LCPD: ok

Don't Warn - The swear word is filtered, and it is not directed at another user.

Example 4:

Albatross: hey y'all
Clairehof: fooey you Dev52
Albatross: :[

Warn - The swear is filtered, but it is directed at another user.

Example 5:

ASilva93: yo
1python64: ruk
ASilva93: wut

Warn: Users should not evade the swear filter.

Example 6:

inuyasharox: fooey
inuyasharox: fingilly
usb hub: what?
inuyasharox: fingillyfooeyjiminy cricketjiminy cricketfooeyfingilly

Warn - While the swear was filtered and not directed at anyone, it was excessively used.

--------

TL;DR:
- Swears caught by the filter are okay if not directed at another user.
- If a swear is directed at another user, depending on the severity, a warning should be given (regardless of whether or not it was caught by the filter).
- Filter evading is not allowed.
- Excessive swearing is not allowed.

Spamming/Flooding

Have you ever been unsure whether something is considered spam?
Here's the golden rule: 3 or more lines of meaningless text or a repeated message is spam.

Example 1:

LCPD: uhbdububeu
LCPD: hrebdsouhbe
Clairehof: dont spam
LCPD: r4hbfdohu4o3hbo32hb

Warn - There were 3 lines of meaningless text.

Example 2:

Clairehof: OMG
Artasmas: what?

Warn - There were 3 lines of a repeated message.

Example 3:

Waterwing: NO
Waterwing: NO
Clairehof: what ww?

Don't Warn - This is only 2 lines of a repeated message. Only warn when it is 3 or more.

Example 4:

LCPD: WHAT?
Clairehof: yes lC?
Clairehof: do you need something?
Waterwing: hey LC

Warn - Even if the repeated message (3 times or more) is spaced out, it still is not allowed.

Example 5:

Clairehof: Hey everyone
Clairehof: how are you guys?
Clairehof: lol

Don't Warn - Since these messages actually have meaning and have been kept to a reasonable number of lines, it is not considered spam.

Example 6:

Clairehof: HAI
Clairehof: how
Clairehof: are
Clairehof: you
Clairehof: ?
Clairehof: ?

Warn - This is a flood. Even though this text has meaning, it does not need to be broken up into 6 separate messages.

Example 7:

bls1999: OMG
bls1999: GUYS GUESS WHAT
bls1999: SO I WAS RACING AND I ENDED UP FINDING THE ARTIFACT
bls1999: THAT'S SO COOL RIGHT???
bls1999: I WAS REALLY EXCITED!!!

Warn - Excessive use of caps is flooding.

--------

TL;DR:
- 3 or more lines of meaningless text or a repeated message is spamming.
- Messages spaced out over an unreasonable amount of space is flooding.
- Excessive use of caps is flooding.

Flaming (or being mean)

Have you ever seen a user flame another in the chat and not been sure whether to warn for it or not? Here are some examples that are sure to help you out.  Note: flames can include swears, but don't have to.

Example 1:

DirtRacer: Hey
Clairehof: I HATE YOU DIRT, STFU AND BURN IN HECK
Dirtracer: ...

Warn - This is a nasty, direct flame.

Example 2:

Clairehof: You stink gosh noob!
LCPD: be nice
Clairehof: no

Don't Warn - Even though Clairehof was being rude, you may just want to warn verbally first.

Example 3:

1python64: hi guys =]
Legisperitus: I hate you so much and I hope you die.
1python64: oh...

Warn - While the user didn't swear in his flame, it was still pretty rude.

Example 4:

e46m3: hi everyone
Clairehof: hey you butthead
e46m3: lol hey Claire

Don't Warn - Sometimes good friends joke with each other, and it may be difficult to distinguish from a flame. If you're unsure, don't warn and ask a mod.

--------

TL;DR:
- Nasty flames get a warning.
- Lighter flames get a verbal warning initially.

Languages other than English

English is the official language of the PR2 chat. If any users are speaking other languages, inform them of this rule before warning them. If they persist past warning 3, kick them and notify a staff member.

Inappropriate Content

Any mention of sexual innuendo is against the rules and warrants an immediate warning. Inappropriate websites warrant an immediate kick.

Asking for Passwords/Scamming

NEVER give your password to ANYONE. It is your responsibility to encourage others to do the same.

There is no tolerance on PR2 for asking for passwords.  However, while account trading and sharing are both frowned upon, they are allowed when executed in a private conversation.  If someone intiates an account trade in the chat, you should give a verbal warning first, with a request to take it to PMs.  Attempted scamming and asking for passwords both warrant an immediate warning, and possibly a ban by a full moderator (depending on the severity).

Example 1:

Eternal: sup guys
grim ripper1: hey can we share accounts?

Don't Warn - The user may just not know about the rule. A verbal warning should be given, accompanied with a request to take the trade to a more private setting.

Example 2:

cod4fan: hi guys c:
Dev52: give me your pass cod4fan

Warn - The user directly asked for a password.

Example 3:

Nemo Nation: what a day to be alive
TRUC: PM me your password for a crown!

Warn - This is a blatant scam and deserving of a warning, at the very least.

--------

TL;DR:
- Asking to trade accounts warrants a verbal warning and a request to continue the conversation privately.
- Asking for passwords and scamming both warrant immediate warnings.
- NEVER give your password to ANYONE. It is your responsibility to encourage others to do the same.

Illegal/Malicious Websites

Posting illegal or malicious websites is a bannable offense. If you suspect a website to be inappropriate, save the chat log, kick the user, and report the incident to a staff member.

Impersonation

Have you ever seen a user impersonating someone else?  Ask yourself the following question: are the usernames similar enough to each other that a friend might mistake one for the other?

Example 1:

Clairehof vs. CIairehof (the second username has an I instead of an L)
Warn - This is a blatant impersonation attempt.

Example 2:

Flame and Flame3

Don't Warn - The two usernames have significant differences that distinguish one from another.

Remember, if you see someone impersonating someone else, warn them and ask them to use a different account. Some mods skip to account bans with impersonators, but since you are only a temp mod there is no need to worry about that.

Warning on Request

Don't do it under any circumstances.  Only when someone breaks the rules of the chatroom are you allowed to warn them.

Example 1:

bls1999: ban me
Legisperitus: no
bls1999: :c

Don't Warn - They didn't break the rules.

Example 2:

LCMK: BAN ME
bls1999: ?

Warn - They broke a rule. Warn for that, but not for their ban request.

Some final pieces of advice:
- Users look up to you! Set an example, answer questions, and act with integrity, responsibility, and kindness.
- You are not the supreme dictator of the chat.  You are a peacekeeper!
- Always start out with warning 1, and then move up the scale. Never skip warnings.
- Pressing and holding CTRL pauses the chat. This may come in handy if it's moving rather quickly.
- If you are unsure whether to warn, then don't warn.
- Read every line of chat that comes through to really stay on top of things.
- During your session as a temporary moderator, it's best not to race.
- Treat everyone equally (i.e. don't make exceptions for your friends when moderating).
- Other staff members are there to help you.  If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask!
- Don't sweat it, and be yourself!

This thread was recovered from a web.archive.org link.  It was originally posted by Clairehof on JV.  I have updated the thread and posted it here for new temp mods to reference.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, BrokenBulb, Zelante