Poll: Revert the Santa Hat physics?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
40.00%
18 40.00%
No
31.11%
14 31.11%
Add the slipperiness option
28.89%
13 28.89%
Total 45 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

POLL: Santa Hat Physics
(11th July 2019, 2:30 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: Wait does Santa give 110 speed?

yeah, it adjusts your maximum horizontal velocity to one more than it currently is (+10).

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Camer the Dragon, gemj
Make Santa like it used to be with the vanish blocks, it's really annoying when you're playing Mario Bros Speed and have to wait for vanish blocks. Revert it ASAP!
Rip, whichever way is decided, there's going to be unhappy people
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bi3liu For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, gemj
(27th July 2019, 8:43 AM)bi3liu Wrote: Rip, whichever way is decided, there's going to be unhappy people

yeah the vote is quite split
á
(27th July 2019, 8:43 AM)bi3liu Wrote: Rip, whichever way is decided, there's going to be unhappy people

the best option for this scenario imo is to just leave it, as those who long for a change would've only done so after the change was proposed, and in this case Ben was the one who proposed the change which most likely means this wasn't a hot button topic on the forefront of many minds before this thread was created.

does that make sense?
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to gemj For This Useful Post:
  • bi3liu
(28th July 2019, 7:45 AM)gemj Wrote: the best option for this scenario imo is to just leave it, as those who long for a change would've only done so after the change was proposed, and in this case Ben was the one who proposed the change which most likely means this wasn't a hot button topic on the forefront of many minds before this thread was created.

does that make sense?
Makes sense but the point/issue I feel like people are straying away from is the fact that this current behavior is unintended, it was intended to behave how it did before.
(refer to
bls1999 post.)

I don't really mind either way but I feel like that's worth noting. 
(28th July 2019, 9:13 PM)Zack6723 Wrote: Makes sense but the point/issue I feel like people are straying away from is the fact that this current behavior is unintended, it was intended to behave how it did before.
(refer to
bls1999 post.)

I don't really mind either way but I feel like that's worth noting. 

But then again, it's been this way for years
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(28th July 2019, 11:13 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: But then again, it's been this way for years
this is absolutely correct.
Definitely put it back to it's old phsyics, it would be really nice.
-AspectZero
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to AspectZero For This Useful Post:
  • Atari4600
Bumping

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
Not sure if this poll is public but due to how even the results are currently (yes and no) I don't think this should be changed. The option could be nice but if someone had it on while somebody else had it off could they possibly get an advantage?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=714605&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC][Image: sigimage.php?u=735689&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
(20th April 2020, 5:47 AM)Stxtics Wrote: Not sure if this poll is public but due to how even the results are currently (yes and no) I don't think this should be changed. The option could be nice but if someone had it on while somebody else had it off could they possibly get an advantage?

The poll is public. I don't feel the option would give an advantage, as anyone who has the hat could toggle it at will in their options menu.

The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Stxtics
I tried to beat the legend by nerdy with a Santa hat and i flew through it until I got to a part of arrow blocks and super jumps.. it was impossible because the Santa hat goes too fast in arrow blocks and doesn’t have enough time to do a super jump to make it up
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999

These are the old PR2 santa hat physics, do note that this run is now completely impossible due to the current physics, you can not do that first corner glitch.
-AspectZero
(20th April 2020, 10:22 AM)Addy Wrote: I tried to beat the legend by nerdy with a Santa hat and i flew through it until I got to a part of arrow blocks and super jumps.. it was impossible because the Santa hat goes too fast in arrow blocks and doesn’t have enough time to do a super jump to make it up

This is part of the reason I want to revert the physics. Using the santa hat on arrow blocks makes certain maneuvers completely impossible now (e.g. the second set of right arrow blocks on Airox by xXsuper3Xx on the 3rd page of campaign). As the guidelines for CotM implicitly state that levels must be able to be completed wearing any hat (no advanced maneuvers or glitches which includes the top hat not being able to perform the "hit the net block, fall through vanish blocks/basic blocks" glitch), I feel this should be addressed.

(20th April 2020, 11:57 AM)AspectZero Wrote:

These are the old PR2 santa hat physics, do note that this run is now completely impossible due to the current physics, you can not do that first corner glitch.

Wow. That run was completed in one playthrough of Code! Incredible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Addy, AspectZero
(20th April 2020, 5:06 PM)AlphaZ Wrote: Doesn't turning a vanish or crumble into an ice block affect the player in question? Seems like a minus to any player trying to win a race using Santa hat. A lot of times those blocks are used to slow down players, but with the current physics, players using Santa hat could actually benefit the people losing the race.

Freezing crumble blocks with the santa hat/ice wave doesn't really seem to do much, since the player can just break through the block to override the freeze. I suspect this occurs because the check for crumble strength (idk if this is what it's called) is before the check for if the block is frozen.

It can be a plus or a minus depending on the level, which is why I think adding an option for the level of slipperiness is the best bet. It preserves both the old and the new physics and doesn't make anyone too mad. There would still be water/push blocks affected by the slipperiness no matter if the option was checked or not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ, bi3liu
My reasoning for preferring the slipperiness option:
The current santa physics is faster in some races like Candyland and Newbie Train, as the freezing of the arrow blocks (and vanish blocks for Newbie Train) allows you to beat the level a tiny bit faster.
Likewise, the old santa physics is faster in other races like Mario Bros Remix/Speed where there's a part you have to go down some vanish blocks.
Reverting it would also invalidate a lot of speedruns done with the current santa physics, so maybe a compromise can alleviate both sides.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bi3liu For This Useful Post:
  • Stxtics
could we in theory do a level option to do it? I don't really know how that will affect older levels but, we could do a thing where older levels than 2013 has the option off(not affecting) and newer levels have it on. Whether its on or off it'd be in the info about the level.

If we do it this way, it would make people that like it how it is and how it was.

Anyway its just a idea
[Image: dDh1Lkq.png]
It gives +10 to speed, so assuming you have 100 then yes, it does
Arrow
I prefer hats having advantages/disadvantages both.
Party hat cries in a shadowy corner
[Image: 213.jpg]