WIP Album Thoughts
Photo 
Hi JV2.

I've been working on a conceptual experimental rap album since November 2016 called Influence and it's close to being finished. The description for the project is as follows: "A teen going through his high school career details his experiences with social anxiety, depression, and lack of confidence in himself and his future in this conceptual experimental rap album."

Was wondering if I could get some input on the album (general opinions of the album, best/worst song on the album, if the mixes are fine, etc.).

Before posting the link, here are a few things I'm thinking about tinkering within some of the songs:
- Re-recordings of certain sections of songs where I messed up the vocal recording (tracks like Same Vibe and Karma)
- Changing up some lyrics on Deception
- Adding some spoken word in some tracks (the end of the track Karma and Who I Need to Be)
- Re-mixing each track so instruments don't peak in volume (I started working on each song with little to no production knowledge so it's just clean-up)

The mixes aren't final, so if you agree with the changes I've been thinking of, lemme know. If you got other feedback, lemme know.

Anyway, if you're interested in listening to it, here's the link to it:

https://soundcloud.com/damonbass/sets/influence/s-W69nw
Dangevin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dangevin For This Useful Post:
  • JEEJAYEM, LuniFoxo, Resarekt
(3rd March 2020, 6:06 PM)Matt Wrote: [Prior to reading this do keep in mind these are my thoughts which are based on personal taste. I'm currently studying music at degree level, second year. So constructive criticism will be based on what I've learnt and what I'm currently learning, as well as experience I have working in the music industry, and as well as myself being a musician. Hope this review helps]

I really appreciate the amount of time you took into giving feedback, and I think the feedback you gave was excellent! Especially happy to hear that you enjoyed the overall project. Spent a lot of time working on the overall composition of the songs, and hearing praise regarding that really makes me happy.

I do agree with the critiques of the vocal recordings and mixes. As mentioned in the OP, I do plan on doing some re-recordings in certain sections of tracks, so when the project is completed, the vocals will sound better in that regard. However, the number one thing I think I've struggled with for the project is mixing (especially vocal mixing, as you've pointed out in feedback of tracks you've highlighted). A lot of what I've done with the mixes are a result of learning things via websites and YouTube videos I'd watch regarding mixing (seeing as how I started off the project with no production/mixing/mastering knowledge), and even now I'll feel insecure at points when listening specifically to mixes of the songs.

With that being said, at some point if you're okay with it, maybe you could give me some mix pointers in relation to the project via DMs? Whether that's plug-in suggestions, or certain techniques used in mixing for vocals specifically or for the overall mix, I would really value any tips you could give.

Again, thank you for the feedback, I really do appreciate it!

*FYI, I heard one of the previews you made in the PR4 Soundtrack thread (I think it was the first one you posted) and I thought it was very good! I still need to listen to the others you posted in there soon. If you do decide to DM me some tips, could you also show some music you've worked on? I'm really curious to hear some of your other work!
Dangevin
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Dangevin For This Useful Post:
  • Matt
Hi Dangevin!
It's great that you've been able to put such a big project to this advanced stage. It'll stay there as a mark of your teenagehood.
I'm not a composer myself so I'll just give you my opinion as a curious listener.
I thought the album was good, you put thought into structure, chord progressions, melodies, soundscapes and your rap is surprisingly pretty decent. I haven't paid too much attention to lyrics because 1) they're hard to understand for me as I'm French 2) they're hard to understand because the mixing doesn't bring them forward so much, sometimes 3) I don't usually bother listening to lyrics all that much anyway.
As you've said it's experimental, and as everything experimental, it's not easily accessible. Some tracks make one feel like he's inside your head which feels really weird.

Particular comments:

My favorite track is Youth, it ticks a lot of right boxes for me. In particular, the opening is catchy, and the instrumental works really well. The chorus could be improved I think, it doesn't sound very "clear" if that makes any sense. The ending was very abrupt. Also, while I do mean that the opening is catchy, it also gets a bit too complicated and I feel that you lose the listener by putting notes that seem far-stretched for him. I think you could keep it more simple.

On the track 'Echo', 46s, I think there's something weird in the harmony.

I thought your rap was best in Influence, which had some pretty intricate methods of mixing (which I know nothing about but acknowledge) that worked out well. I dislike the ending part though, I think I would have preferred it ending at 3:15. Then again, I don't really listen to lyrics; I'm sure you'd be unsatisfied with cutting it short at this moment.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Campaigns | Ilraon For This Useful Post:
  • Dangevin