2020 Tokyo Olympics (in 2021)
There were new events this year, such as Skateboarding, Rock Climbing and Surfing
á
I definitely think they will at least get suspended. The three of the four major sports leagues (since the NFL is not in season) and the MLS in the United States/Canada have suspended their seasons for now. (Preface that I am not a medical professional) It is difficult to project into the future because something new can happen any day, but I do not see the Olympics happening at their scheduled start time, since it is a global event and there is a greater risk with that.

I have not looked into it, but I wonder if this pandemic is currently affecting the progress of building the infrastructure for the games. Say health-wise the games can go on, but the infrastructure is delayed for a month, is still feasible to hold the Games?

Positively speaking, I am excited to see the skateboarding competition, but I am a little disappointed that there is not a vert competition.
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
Yeah they have postponed it now
á
If the vaccine is successful and comes out relatively soon I wonder if they will do it in 2021
I'll be sure to update this if they do
(bumping to remind myself and other this thread exists for the most part lol)
á
oh nice, I hope they come out with a vaccine soon
Yeah same, be nice to get back to more normal
also I look forward to the Olympics each time it comes because it's cool to see such a variety of sports in 1 place, keeps it fresh and the medals etc. are nice stats
á
*Tokyo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gemj For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, lalafox
Lol

Toyko sounds like a collab between Toys R Us and Shopko, which would be doomed to fail since they both went bankrupt.

I do miss watching the US dominate the Olympics though, what else am I supposed to rub into the foreigner's faces??? Frown
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
(12th November 2020, 11:21 PM)gemj Wrote: *Tokyo

oh lmao thx
á
I cannot wait to see some snatches and cleaning before jerking.
I am referring to Olympic Weightlifting contested lifts, if anyone does not understand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj
Very close now!

There will be no spectators at stadiums in and around Tokyo but up to 10,000 in stadiums outside of that area apparently
á
1st medal event has happened now, China win 1st gold of the games
Russia (Russian Olympic Committee) get silver
and Switzerland get bronze
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Addy
(15th November 2020, 6:24 PM)Uptight 534 Wrote: I cannot wait to see some snatches and cleaning before jerking.
I am referring to Olympic Weightlifting contested lifts, if anyone does not understand.
By "Cannot wait to see..." I mean not having a cable package or streaming service to view the events and having to wait for small YouTube highlights.

Also, time to watch people throw more weight over their head than I can deadlift.
Skateboarding Women's Street was crazy there was a 13yo who got gold and another who got silver

when I was 13 I joined JV lol
á
I don't mean to disparage athletes, but it feels weird to me that skateboarding on a rail for 10 seconds earns the same medal as running a 1:55:36 hour triathlon. I guess I'm just more impressed by triathlon competitors. Congrats to Flora Duffy for winning Bermuda's first gold medal ever! It seems like many countries are winning their first medals this time around, which is awesome.
(27th July 2021, 8:40 PM)Mystery Wrote: I don't mean to disparage athletes, but it just feels weird to me that skateboarding on a rail for 10 seconds earns the same medal as running a 1:55:36 hour triathlon. Congrats to Flora Duffy for winning Bermuda's first gold medal ever! It seems like many countries are winning their first medals this time around, which is awesome.
Skateboarding, Skeet, Archery, etc. are sports that lean more towards technical skill than pure athleticism of a triathlon. (Not knowing her background whatsoever) Throw Flora Duffy on a skateboard, and I doubt she can even ollie.

Also, think of it as the highest honor in each respective sport (for the most part (e.g. not for soccer)).
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • Mia
(27th July 2021, 8:40 PM)Mystery Wrote: I don't mean to disparage athletes, but it feels weird to me that skateboarding on a rail for 10 seconds earns the same medal as running a 1:55:36 hour triathlon. I guess I'm just more impressed by triathlon competitors. Congrats to Flora Duffy for winning Bermuda's first gold medal ever! It seems like many countries are winning their first medals this time around, which is awesome.

It's the time to train as well, the training time for all of these is a lot
and in a way a short time to get a medal puts more pressure and requirement of perfection on each second
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Mia
Yeah I get what you guys are saying, but the raw endurance alone for what goes into a triathlon... man. It takes an incredible amount of willpower and training as well, on top of that. It's still gotta be one of the more impressive events to get a gold medal in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Uptight 534
(28th July 2021, 10:20 AM)Mystery Wrote: Yeah I get what you guys are saying, but the raw endurance alone for what goes into a triathlon... man. It takes an incredible amount of willpower and training as well, on top of that. It's still gotta be one of the more impressive events to get a gold medal in.

Ye for sure
á
If they gave out medals for cutest Olympians, Gabby Thomas would get a gold medal. Incredible runner as well!

Did anyone else see the high jump contest? It was so wholesome. One of my favorite moments from this Olympics.

Does anyone have any opinions surrounding the Simone Biles drama? Personally, I think she made the right call stepping out. Mental health is super important, and the pressure for her to perform was ridiculous. Also, I heard they were deducting her points because she's the top gymnast? That's absurd if it's true.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon