[Suggestion] Completion Check
I say suggestion, but this thread can pretty much serve as a discussion as well for PRF.
Please note that I will provide more detailed information than necessary, only to give room to develop the idea.

Anyway, here's the overall idea.

Tired of playing those levels in newest that have no finish blocks ?
That glitch is suspish, that frust seems too rough, these traps give you rash ?

Well, introducing the Completion Check (or insert any other cool name) for you !

Basically, to publish a level from the Level Editor, the level creator would have to prove it is possible to finish it by running this Completion Check (CC for short, from now on).

This is assuming that level publishing works in a similar manner as PR2 (saving with ''publish'' checked on = newest). To my knowledge, on PR3 you could also host levels, but I'M not sure if you could host LE levels or not. Doesn't matter much I guess.

Here's how it could work:

1. After saving the level with the intent to publish it, a pop up window would appear to inform the creator that they will now have to perform the CC.
2. The creator must choose any hats from the hats that were made available for the level (assuming this is a PRF feature) AND stats that fall under the minimum stat requirement - see example below.
3. The creator must complete the level under these requirements, including time limit.

Of course they would get as many tries as they wish, and could quit the process at any time, thus saving the level, but keeping it unpublished. I think it would be a good way to encourage people to improve their skills if they wish to make difficult levels, plus it would make a better experience for most players playing the game.

Example: I am making a race that allows any hat, with a 5 minute time limit, and a minimum rank of 0 required.
Upon publishing the level, I will have to go through the CC.

I decide to pick no hats. As for stats, (let's pretend they are PR2 stats for the sake of this example), I go with the good old 50/50/50, but I could also decide to use anything, as long as the total of stat points is EQUAL OR LESS THAN 150.
If I can then complete the race, my level gets published.

Further details/ideas to be discussed:

- I think it would be cool if you could view the CC details when hovering over a level in the lobby, and/or access that info from inside the level. By this, I mean a card or tab, like what we have in PR2 now, that would show which hat and stats were used during the CC by the author of the level, and maybe even the time ?

- This is a bit more advanced and complicated, but it could require you to pass the CC with all hats you have made available in your level. Of course similar hats or hats with no effects on gameplay are a given (like EXP/Kong/Party count as the same, etc.), but it would help greatly for filtering. For instance, you could not play a level in newest if you didn't have a hat that was deemed possible from the CC ?

- For traps, frusts and other kind of skill challenges, this could go along well with a tag system for levels, and a difficulty scale for levels. Maybe new categories in lobbies or solo gamemodes (think Mario Maker, although I never played it) ?

- I know this only makes sense for Race and Objective levels as of now, but does anyone have suggestions for Deathmatches, Coin/Hat levels, Capture the Overseer... or even Eggs ? Do they need CCs ?

I'm just tossing the idea out there, but there is definitely a big potential for cool stuff with this idea. There are some downsides though, like the fact you need greater skills to be able to publish harder levels to the mass, but I think they can be turned around (like hosting those levels yourself instead, or these levels cannot be selected by randomisers and/or other stuff there will be in PRF, maybe a solo mode, who knows).

Aaaaand that's enough of me rambling around.
If you're reading this, it means I have not made a cool signature yet and you should be proud of yourself.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TRUC For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, AspectZero, bls1999, Camer the Dragon, Dangevin, gemj, Hyperacticpro, JIyHu, Lego-man945, Magniloquent, Northadox, Stxtics
This sounds cool yeah

- For levels like Hotels/Drawing, just put a finish block close or something that should be fine

- DMs and Egg levels are harder to judge, but someone can always win (even if it is an RNG-fest or last who quits type of deal)

- I think the time for CC is kinda not needed, the rank used and hat could be useful though

- I'd like a tag system like "Traps, Frust, Race" and "Easy, Medium, Hard, V. Hard" or something

- The problem I see though is that teamwork levels are impossible to do with the CC unless it gave 4 accs? and then you'd have to play with all at once which might not work as it might require all 4 to be moving at once

- CC should have the following imo:
• Hats
• Rank (dependant on how many points you used)
• Player Position (i.e. can you beat it from other players than P1, and if not then the level basically says to you if you're P2 - P4 "this level is unknown to be possible with this player slot" or something)
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
I probably suggested this sometime in the past but this is really a must. This was also an idea I sourced from Mario Maker, being an avid player of that game and its sequel. I know impossible or brutally difficult levels are their own niche, but having a completion check would make sure that they are indeed possible to complete before playing them and prove that the level creator knows their stuff and isn't just throwing stupidly difficult obstacles your way without thinking.

However, this could be an optional feature, perhaps. Maybe you want an impossible level, or made a level so teeth-crunchingly difficult that even you couldn't beat and you want to see PR's best give it a go. On the level's information, there could be a mark indicating whether or not the creator was able to successfully complete a level.

About the necessary hat/rank part, though. With the mark, I think it should just say HOW the creator was able to beat a level, e.g., "Creator was able to beat the level with the EXP Hat and Rank 10 stats". Testing each hat and minimum rank would probably just be tedium for making and publishing a level.

As for modes, I think CC should only really be required on modes that require Finish Blocks in order for them to conclude -so Objective and Race, going from PR2's roster of modes.

A tagging system for levels would also be great. It could work like a social media platform where you just slap number signs with keywords with your level, and people could search these keywords to get levels under them. Definitely shouldn't be as limited as Mario Maker 2's system, though!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • AspectZero, Camer the Dragon, gemj
It's too late in PR2 for this, unless bls1999 decides to unpublish millions of levels, but it should definitely be a thing for PR4.
-AspectZero
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AspectZero For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj, Magniloquent
(11th April 2020, 1:27 PM)AspectZero Wrote: It's too late in PR2 for this, unless bls1999 decides to unpublish millions of levels, but it should definitely be a thing for PR4.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please donate to help keep JV Revival free for all.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • AspectZero, Camer the Dragon, gemj, lalafox, Northadox, TRUC
what about those teamwork levels that are unbeatable by one person?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justinbob100 For This Useful Post:
  • AspectZero, gemj
(13th April 2020, 11:43 AM)Justinbob100 Wrote: what about those teamwork levels that are unbeatable by one person?
I believe that PR4 was going to have a multi-player level editor, so that would take care of that.
-AspectZero
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to AspectZero For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
Nice idea. I think it could be tedious to gather 3 people to try out your teamwork levels with though. Besides, it could take a huge number of tries. Usually the way it worked for me is that I try out independently every part of the level, but can't manage them all in a row...
And lastly if there is a new version, what happens? Say you just edited some tiny detail blocks, extended hall of fame or something. You'd have to run the whole level again, and that would be bothersome if it's an hour long and difficult.

But having it as an option can't hurt. It's the best way to see if the addition is something people like using.
I think instead of making it a requirement, it could be just an option to add in level editor. And when users are browsing maps, there could be some sort of tag or something to identify those that have been checked for completion. That way really hard frust or trap maps wouldn't have to go through this, and little edits can be done as much as a creator wants without much hassle.

There could also be a way to separate those that have had a completion check done so that it seems like its worth doing for the creator, if they want their map to be popular. maybe maps that haven't gone through completion check can't be rated, or something along those lines.
Some sort of completion percentage would be interesting.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to okbob3 For This Useful Post:
  • AspectZero, Camer the Dragon, Dangevin, gemj, Justinbob100, Northadox
(14th April 2020, 1:24 AM)okbob3 Wrote: Some sort of completion percentage would be interesting.
This would be very complicated to do on levels with twists and turns. Perhaps the level creator could set the path of the level with a line, and that line is turned into a measuring stick for percentage. Note that this line would be invisible during gameplay.
-AspectZero
(16th April 2020, 11:17 AM)AspectZero Wrote: This would be very complicated to do on levels with twists and turns. Perhaps the level creator could set the path of the level with a line, and that line is turned into a measuring stick for percentage. Note that this line would be invisible during gameplay.

I think he means
(finishes/plays)*100
á
(16th April 2020, 11:29 AM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: I think he means
(finishes/plays)*100
Yes, though it wouldn't always be accurate because people could just play and quit or whatever.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to okbob3 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon
(14th April 2020, 1:24 AM)okbob3 Wrote: Some sort of completion percentage would be interesting.

(16th April 2020, 11:29 AM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: I think he means
(finishes/plays)*100

(16th April 2020, 10:02 PM)okbob3 Wrote: Yes, though it wouldn't always be accurate because people could just play and quit or whatever.

A potential way to partially solve this problem could be to have it set as 1 play per account/IP only on the overall calculation, but that is tedious, and it doesn't prevent people from trolling those percentages.
If you're reading this, it means I have not made a cool signature yet and you should be proud of yourself.
I still like the idea of unpublishing all the levels.
-AspectZero
(18th April 2020, 11:11 AM)AspectZero Wrote: I still like the idea of unpublishing all the levels.

lol I'd have to republish like 600 levels
á