Trapping Rewards
Rewarding Trappers

Writing this post to express my feelings, and I’m sure the rest of the trapping community’s feelings as well. Us trappers spend hours developing skill and playing the game with as much precision as possible. Despite putting in hours into our craft, when it comes down to it we have little to show for it. Many of us play very consistently and make up a good portion of the active players. I have a couple of ideas to reward and encourage the trapping community to keep at it.
  • EXP For Certified Trap Levels
  • A group of levels will be certified by staff, as well as an experienced trapper. These levels will reward players based on their difficulty with a large sum of exp.
    Noob - 10-25k Pro - 25-50 Epic - 50-100k
  • Trap Campaign
  • A series of 9 levels, which consistently have rewards as campaigns currently do, which give some body parts and possibly a hat for the 9th level. 
  • Experienced trappers would probably need to decide on levels and help set this up
  • Certified Trap Levels
  • Maybe trapping doesn’t deserve an entire campaign page, but body parts and/or a hat for approved levels would be encouraging, as well as rewarding
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BronxBomber For This Useful Post:
  • bazooka, bi3liu, gemj, HokeTz, Hyperacticpro, Lego-man945, Magniloquent, Northadox, oxy, Tejs
i cant see the text on dark theme.

i like to see rewards for traps. what about rewarding the trap creators too? >:v

"(im currently working on a project that combines all the famous trap levels from the past decade into one level.. i am tired of seeing the new trapwork in newest that is insane to beat and keep dieing on the first trap with bombs placed everywhere and nowhere to jump. my goal is to dedicate all the famous and sucessful trapwork creators to making there level recent again into my newest level so people who just recently joined can play them and see how easy traps were back when traps was everyone's main thing to do.)"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber, gemj, HokeTz, Tro
(16th April 2020, 6:38 PM)Addy Wrote: i cant see the text on dark theme
Hopefully fixed
good idea honestly, sets specifically dedicated to trap levels would be fun
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Hyperacticpro For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber
I rate thus
[Image: sigimage.php?u=818553&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bazooka For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber
I like the idea of adding EXP/part prizes for trap levels; however, I don't believe there should be a campaign centered around traps levels. Campaigns have always has been an introduction to the game with tastefully difficult levels-- not about advanced maneuvers, glitches, or traps.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, AspectZero, BronxBomber, Camer the Dragon, LCPD, Tejs
Look, I admire the skills of those who play trap and frust levels, but honestly, locking content behind them isn't really palatable to me. Yes, they test the abilities of many a racer, but they're built off of repetitive design that force players to restart entire gauntlets with one minor screw up. Sure, you can have your EXP awards, but rewarding something as significant as a hat should be bound to more traditionally difficult levels like The Legend.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
(17th April 2020, 7:22 PM)Northadox Wrote: Look, I admire the skills of those who play trap and frust levels, but honestly, locking content behind them isn't really palatable to me. Yes, they test the abilities of many a racer, but they're built off of repetitive design that force players to restart entire gauntlets with one minor screw up. Sure, you can have your EXP awards, but rewarding something as significant as a hat should be bound to more traditionally difficult levels like The Legend.
So.. "No player improvement incentive!!!" Is that what you mean?
-AspectZero
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AspectZero For This Useful Post:
  • Addy, BronxBomber, Northadox
If the trap campaign idea is implemented, I think the prize should be awarded to anyone who finishes instead of just the person who finishes first
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JEEJAYEM For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber, gemj, HokeTz, Hyperacticpro, Northadox
(17th April 2020, 7:33 PM)AspectZero Wrote: So.. "No player improvement incentive!!!" Is that what you mean?

Not entirely what I meant. Player improvement incentive for additional EXP, but not needing to beat brutally unfair and punishing levels to acquire new, game-altering content such as hats.

EDIT: Scratch this argument entirely; I'm a fool. I, indeed, suck at PR2 and my frustrations with the game's mechanics and miscommunications nor my non-presence in the trapping or frust community shouldn't get in the way of players who have overcome them and expect to be rewarded for them. Being a completionist who wishes to one day reap all of PR2's official rewards myself, giving hardcore players who've logged hours of time into the game a nod would be appreciated and would act as ample encouragement for middling veterans such as me to push my skills further.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • AspectZero, BronxBomber, ~JBG~
(17th April 2020, 6:58 PM)bls1999 Wrote: I like the idea of adding EXP/part prizes for trap levels; however, I don't believe there should be a campaign centered around traps levels. Campaigns have always has been an introduction to the game with tastefully difficult levels-- not about advanced maneuvers, glitches, or traps.
i'm not really sure what you mean when you talk about "not about advanced maneuvers, glitches or traps" when we have The Legend, Apocalypse and EXP Grind 3 in the campaign, all including atleast 2 of those.

A trap campaign could be a good idea for players wanting to learn how to trap. It could consist of easier trap maps to begin with and gradually get harder. If a player needs to learn how to move, there are 6 other campaign pages that teach that on the very first level. At this point we should be helping players grow their skills in the different gamemodes that PR2 has to offer instead of limiting them to just racing and learning how to move.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to __ For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber, gemj
(18th April 2020, 8:38 AM)__ Wrote: i'm not really sure what you mean when you talk about "not about advanced maneuvers, glitches or traps" when we have The Legend, Apocalypse and EXP Grind 3 in the campaign, all including atleast 2 of those.

A trap campaign could be a good idea for players wanting to learn how to trap. It could consist of easier trap maps to begin with and gradually get harder. If a player needs to learn how to move, there are 6 other campaign pages that teach that on the very first level. At this point we should be helping players grow their skills in the different gamemodes that PR2 has to offer instead of limiting them to just racing and learning how to move.
Exp Grind III contains no advanced maneuvers, as for glitches, it contains no glitches that it forces the player to do. Apocalypse is a level that takes some learning, but is also self explanatory with it's glitches, and does not require help, both of those should be removed from your list IMO.
-AspectZero
Just to add my 2 cents to the discussion, I'm a fan of trap-related rewards - However I do think a trapping campaign would be hard to put together. I have a hard time of thinking about 9 "tastefully difficult" maps, considering the general consensus is that Classic Traps is a relatively difficult trap level.

I also believe that there's reason to look into scouting some specific people to put together these rewards, as there are some people with much more trap knowledge than the current staff team.

I think this idea fits the theme of a general idea - Increasing the skill level within the PR2 Community. Even if it's not traps, I see reasons to reward real skill within the game. Being skilled at the game is not rewarded enough currently, and there's no drive to become better at the game for the average PR2 player. As an example, The Legend is considered a very easy map within my group. And that's the map always being thrown around as being a difficult map.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tejs For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber, gemj, Prince Ande
(18th April 2020, 8:38 AM)__ Wrote: i'm not really sure what you mean when you talk about "not about advanced maneuvers, glitches or traps" when we have The Legend, Apocalypse and EXP Grind 3 in the campaign, all including atleast 2 of those.

You summed up my thoughts pretty well with this one. @Tejs made a good point stating how much of the community has different definitions of what is difficult. I suppose the task of identifying levels that we see fit could be tackled, once and if necessary. In regards to adding a campaign, I support and see the perspective of encouraging players to begin to expand their skillset. I also see @bls1999 perspective that campaign has been simple, traditional race levels which are based around laid-back racing and all players can complete these levels. I suppose the decision comes down to which direction he would like to take with this game. I see the two options as maintaining a simple, laid back game with rare body parts and hats going out to contest winners, or creating a skill gap in which certain players will be able to acquire certain parts, and other less skilled players will need to improve before acquiring said parts.
Will be added in the upcoming patch. Thanks to BLS1999 for giving us permission to do so, absolute legend.

A quick teaser, the campaign will feature different kinds of traps, all very carefully reviewed by our legendary trapper: Darkflamexl. Expect some fire lads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA For This Useful Post:
  • Magniloquent, Tejs
(16th April 2020, 5:43 PM)BronxBomber Wrote: There is no doubt trappers should've be rewarded somehow for being some of the most skilled, dedicated and practiced players in the entire game and history...

It's about time this topic has been pulled on the table, legendary arts of trapworks and gameplays has been made, and an entire trap-community on discord has been creating huge contests (Trap Trials/Adventure trials, knowledge contests, quizzes and much more) for each other.

A community that has always been united after many years of playing - traps kept legendary players coming back. 

Fully supporting BronxBomber, @bls1999 I hope you'll consider this
Owner of Prince Ande, Murderer, Viking & Thousand Hands [Trapwork Accounts]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Prince Ande For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber
(18th April 2020, 8:51 AM)Tejs Wrote: Just to add my 2 cents to the discussion, I'm a fan of trap-related rewards - However I do think a trapping campaign would be hard to put together. I have a hard time of thinking about 9 "tastefully difficult" maps, considering the general consensus is that Classic Traps is a relatively difficult trap level.

I also believe that there's reason to look into scouting some specific people to put together these rewards, as there are some people with much more trap knowledge than the current staff team.

I think this idea fits the theme of a general idea - Increasing the skill level within the PR2 Community. Even if it's not traps, I see reasons to reward real skill within the game. Being skilled at the game is not rewarded enough currently, and there's no drive to become better at the game for the average PR2 player. As an example, The Legend is considered a very easy map within my group. And that's the map always being thrown around as being a difficult map.
^ Real talk here @bls1999 no one can disagree with this one
Owner of Prince Ande, Murderer, Viking & Thousand Hands [Trapwork Accounts]
(17th April 2020, 6:58 PM)bls1999 Wrote: I like the idea of adding EXP/part prizes for trap levels; however, I don't believe there should be a campaign centered around traps levels. Campaigns have always has been an introduction to the game with tastefully difficult levels-- not about advanced maneuvers, glitches, or traps.

I see no reason to continue to design campaigns for new players, of which there are very few. Over the past 12 years, the average skill of our community has increased drastically, so much so that campaign maps are utterly trivial and therefore boring (solo, at least). We have 6 pages of campaign that all accomplish the same thing: introduce beginners to Pr2, then gradually and very slightly increase in difficulty. Why, then, would we not use campaign to introduce some more advanced mechanics (i.e advanced races, basic traps, basic glitches, basic frusts), to introduce players to the incredible complexity Pr2 has to offer while providing a central hub of carefully curated maps?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Magniloquent For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber, Noah.Kiniy, oxy, __
You guys need to think about this on a bigger scale, you stated the reasons as to why It's a good idea, but if you want to make this project work you also need to consider why It isn't.

Humans are greedy by nature, this is no different. The people that are against this idea know beforehand that they probably won't be able to complete this campaign on their own to obtain the parts, meaning that before even considering it being a good idea, they will be against it.

This is where you need a plausible counter argument against those thoughts, and I shall propose my version of this idea;

- A campaign consisting of 9 levels
- Increasing difficulty
- 3 Basic difficulty trapworks > 3 Easy difficulty trapworks > 2 Medium difficulty trapworks > 1 Medium - Hard difficulty trapwork.
> This way, it introduces the players to traps and allows to progress through the challenges.
- The 3 last levels need 3 players minimum in order to have the special parts, making this campaign feel more like a campaign-challenge.
> As said previously by Magniloquent and Tejs, Campaigns as they are right now are just lame and repetitive, only a few levels are challenging enough to be considering "fun to play".

The game is old, so are the players. We shouldn't have a fix point of view, rather we should move forward. And this campaign accomplishes exactly that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA For This Useful Post:
  • BronxBomber, gemj, Magniloquent, Noah.Kiniy, oxy, __
A point I think is being missed, is that Campaign is a place to test your racing skill against other players, and win prizes for proving that you are the ultimate racer.
-AspectZero