Starting to code
Confused 
If I wanted to start learning how to code... what would be a good place to start? Think Spin

Thanks! Fred
For starters, which language?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=714605&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC][Image: sigimage.php?u=656104&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
@Stxtics asks a very important question. It really depends on what you want to do!

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please donate to help keep JV Revival free for all.
https://scratch.mit.edu/
[Image: YBe1Sjy.png]
That's a good question, I hadn't really thought about that before. I'm not really sure hat I wanna do, but after doing some research I think I'm gonna start with Python. Thoughts?

For reference I do have some experience coding with MATLAB, but that's not like, coding coding
Tongue 
(26th April 2020, 3:05 PM)Dan-83 Wrote: That's a good question, I hadn't really thought about that before. I'm not really sure hat I wanna do, but after doing some research I think I'm gonna start with Python. Thoughts?

For reference I do have some experience coding with MATLAB, but that's not like, coding coding

Python is a fun language. If you know Python you can program small electronics too with a Raspberry Pi  Tongue

Are you doing this as just purely hobby or looking into it as a possible job?
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Lunanova For This Useful Post:
  • Dan-83
(26th April 2020, 3:05 PM)Dan-83 Wrote: That's a good question, I hadn't really thought about that before. I'm not really sure hat I wanna do, but after doing some research I think I'm gonna start with Python. Thoughts?

I usually like to recommend PHP to start. It's easy to use and no compiling is necessary. Plus, no extra programs. Just as long as you have access to a server or a command line with PHP installed, it's very easy to use.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please donate to help keep JV Revival free for all.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Dan-83
Thanks for the responses.

(26th May 2020, 6:20 PM)Lunanova Wrote: Python is a fun language. If you know Python you can program small electronics too with a Raspberry Pi  Tongue

Are you doing this as just purely hobby or looking into it as a possible job?

And yeah it's just a hobby for now. Trying to take advantage of this quarantine time lol
(27th May 2020, 4:17 PM)Dan-83 Wrote: Thanks for the responses.

And yeah it's just a hobby for now. Trying to take advantage of this quarantine time lol

Gotcha. Back like 4 years ago I started learning on https://www.codecademy.com, they've got tons of material to learn. And I'm sure whatever language you want to learn they have a starters course on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunanova For This Useful Post:
  • Dan-83, Zinx10
(27th May 2020, 4:17 PM)Dan-83 Wrote: Thanks for the responses.

Wanted to quickly input, another question that should have been asked would be for example: Do you wanna make games? Do you wanna make software like Microsoft Word? Do you want to make a Website? Do you want to learn to program servers? 

Things like these matter a lot when picking a language because they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

My personal beginner languages would be C#, HTML, Javascript, and Python these all have their strengths and weaknesses I said so it'd still depend on what you want to learn. As well, you could start with lower-level languages like C or C++ if you want more of a challenge. Many industries use all the languages I mentioned if you'd like to eventually make it more than a hobby.

In any case, good luck!
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to GambitAnimating For This Useful Post:
  • Dan-83