Post your PC Specs
[Image: mwJAiPq.png]

Still holding off on the CPU, Mobo and SSD upgrades.

(23rd June 2021, 12:22 PM)Legend Wrote: -snip-

The same monitor I used to have. The banding really is awful on them. Highly recommend upgrading to something more recent. 27" 1440p IPS 144Hz+ monitors are cheap these days.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=515167&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c5=ff3333]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to FDX3 For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ
(30th June 2021, 9:52 PM)FDX3 Wrote: [Image: mwJAiPq.png]

Still holding off on the CPU, Mobo and SSD upgrades.

The same monitor I used to have. The banding really is awful on them. Highly recommend upgrading to something more recent. 27" 1440p IPS 144Hz+ monitors are cheap these days.
Yeah, the colors look really washed out by default. I have to use an ICC profile, set the digital vibrance to 100% in the Nvidia CP, and adjust some of the monitor color settings to make the colors look vibrant and accurate but not oversaturated.
[Image: fTXKATn.png]

my 240hz monitor can only run at 120hz because i need a displayport cable whoops, i should probably fix that. managed to convince myself i had been running at 240hz lmao

anyways once i grow some energy i'll do a chip swap back to a 3700x that i literally just have on my old motherboard

tbh there's a lot looking at speccy i don't think is right (why is my ram 1333mhz and not 3600mhz?) but whatever, i'm trying to not upgrade this computer at all and it's still working wonderfully
(5th July 2021, 12:55 AM)Fresh Cookies Wrote: [Image: fTXKATn.png]

my 240hz monitor can only run at 120hz because i need a displayport cable whoops, i should probably fix that. managed to convince myself i had been running at 240hz lmao

anyways once i grow some energy i'll do a chip swap back to a 3700x that i literally just have on my old motherboard

tbh there's a lot looking at speccy i don't think is right (why is my ram 1333mhz and not 3600mhz?) but whatever, i'm trying to not upgrade this computer at all and it's still working wonderfully

You shouldn't need DisplayPort to get 240Hz out of that monitor, I don't know if HDMI 1.4 supports 240Hz but your monitor also has a HDMI 2.0 port so I'd try switching HDMI ports and see if you can get 240Hz then (could also be the HDMI cable itself not supporting the bandwidth). If you do get 240Hz switching ports you might want DisplayPort anyway as I don't think NVIDIA cards support FreeSync over HDMI, just make sure whatever DisplayPort cable you get is Vesa Certified

As for your RAM, Speccy and a lot of other programs show the true clock speed. DDR transfers data on the rising and falling edges of a clock signal so it's effective speed is double what the clock speed actually is and is what's labeled and advertised on RAM. So your RAM is running at 2666 effectively which indicates to me that you didn't enable XMP in the BIOS or it reset somehow, RAM generally won't run at it's advertised speed without manually enabling it's XMP profile so you'll wanna do that as you're unknowingly missing a good bit of performance (many people miss this)
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Fresh Cookies
[Image: FeQ8AlU.png]

Still rocking the same PC. Has it since Dec 2015.

The only difference is the Audio device and I bought an external hard drive which arrived today.

Not sure why some information is missing, maybe Speccy isn't up to date.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=714605&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC][Image: sigimage.php?u=735689&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
[Image: mwZvDKJ.png]

Stop using W*ndows
Start using your preferred GNU/Linux distribution
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • .....|::|::::|...
(10th July 2021, 2:42 PM)Northadox Wrote: [Image: mwZvDKJ.png]

Stop using W*ndows
Start using your preferred GNU/Linux distribution

Gonna start using Linux primarily one of these days and just run Windows games via Wine or in a Windows VM with GPU passthrough (Windows only multiplayer games will be basically R.I.P but oh well, mostly a single-player gamer anyway lol)
  • Northadox
(10th July 2021, 11:48 PM)David Wrote: Gonna start using Linux primarily one of these days and just run Windows games via Wine or in a Windows VM with GPU passthrough (Windows only multiplayer games will be basically R.I.P but oh well, mostly a single-player gamer anyway lol)

Make the swap whenever possible. I'd say swapping to GNU/Linux is even more valuable than it was before, given that Windows 11 seems to be ramping up the telemetry of Windows 10 even more, like by requiring all laptops to have a front-facing camera for the OS to even function for whatever reason I wonder.

I think it's best to stay away from those AAA multiplayer games anyway, given that they do terrible things anyway like rootkit anticheats, microtransactions, or whatever other malevolent features they're adding nowadays. Most of your low-spec Steam games will work fine with Wine/Proton, and it's even better if they're GNU/Linux-native.

Though the less proprietary software you're running on your machine, the better...
make PR2 FOSS bls or else i'll have to do it myself
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • David
(11th July 2021, 10:46 AM)Northadox Wrote: Make the swap whenever possible. I'd say swapping to GNU/Linux is even more valuable than it was before, given that Windows 11 seems to be ramping up the telemtry of Windows 10 even more, like by requiring all laptops to have a front-facing camera for the OS to even function for whatever reason I wonder.

I think it's best to stay away from those AAA multiplayer games anyway, given that they do terrible things anyway like rootkit anticheats, microtransactions, or whatever other malevolent features they're adding nowadays. Most of your low-spec Steam games will work fine with Wine/Proton, and it's even better if they're GNU/Linux-native.

Though the less proprietary software you're running on your machine, the better...
make PR2 FOSS bls or else i'll have to do it myself

Looked up the camera thing, looks like it's only a requirement for new laptops from Jan 1, 2023 and on, but still ridiculous

Microtransactions are actually a large reason I'm not much into multiplayer these days, just cheapens the experience and hurts feelings of accomplishment when people can just buy everything. Some games are definitely worse than others though and I won't write off AAA multiplayer completely. Deep level anticheats do suck, especially when it's forced for singleplayer modes too (like it was for DOOM Eternal for a short time).
  • Northadox
Yes its a macbook, and im not into PC Gaming. So it does what I need it to do. This is my first new Laptop in 10 years after I retired my previous macbook pro.

Attached Files Image(s)

[Insert something clever here]
(21st June 2021, 5:26 PM)JEEJAYEM Wrote: i should probably upgrade my monitor and CPU

[Image: OrjxKh9.png]

not only did i upgrade my monitor and CPU, but i also upgraded the GPU =s

[Image: jVZFnNm.jpg]
[Image: WlcvTry.png]
imagine not having an optical drive smh my head
i failed the mario twitter challenge
[Image: 2XH8vC1.png]
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
(15th August 2021, 1:57 AM)Mystery Wrote: [Image: 2XH8vC1.png]

Looks like you're running your monitor at below its maximum refresh rate (75Hz). Also I'd highly recommend upgrading to at least 1080p 144Hz (or even 1440p 75Hz), especially considering your GPU. Super cheap these days and well worth it.
  • Mia
(18th August 2021, 10:02 AM)FDX3 Wrote: Looks like you're running your monitor at below its maximum refresh rate (75Hz). Also I'd highly recommend upgrading to at least 1080p 144Hz (or even 1440p 75Hz), especially considering your GPU. Super cheap these days and well worth it.

Thanks for letting me know! I'm not tech savvy at all. Got any recommendations for specific monitors? I've got $125 in gift cards at Amazon, so I'd like to try and get one there.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
(18th August 2021, 7:35 PM)Mystery Wrote: Thanks for letting me know! I'm not tech savvy at all. Got any recommendations for specific monitors? I've got $125 in gift cards at Amazon, so I'd like to try and get one there.

I assume you're in the US. I'd recommend this for a budget 1080p 144Hz IPS monitor (I have one myself as my secondary monitor and it's great - it's one of the most popular monitors with those specs). Just be aware that it's regularly been $180 or under in the past and has only recently increased to $190 earlier this month (see here - I'd recommend setting up a price alert for $180 there if you're in no hurry for the monitor).
  • Mia
(9th November 2021, 6:07 AM)AlphaZ Wrote: I made some some upgrades & additions to my new PC.
[Image: AjrmArf.png]
Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 CPU cooler
2TB M.2 SSD and 2TB HDD
850W Gold PSU
ASUS ROG STRIX B-550-F Gaming (WiFi) MOBO
Windows 10

Peripherals:
SteelSeries Apex Pro mechanical keyboard
Logitech G403 Mouse
DT 770 Pro Headphones
Blue Snowball microphone
240Hz Asus TUF monitor (can be overclocked to 280Hz)

Secondary rig:

i7 4790k
Pure Rock Slim CPU cooler
RTX 2080 Super
GTX 1080
16 GB DDR3
1000W PSU
1TB SATA SSD
I can't recall what MOBO my second rig has in it; it's really bad though.
Lol, very similar build here
[Image: m3cicxL.png]
Also B550 mobo and 1TB nvme boot drive..
I dont even really play video games outside of VR :^)
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Rei For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ
(19th January 2022, 7:46 AM)Rei Wrote: Lol, very similar build here
[Image: m3cicxL.png]
Also B550 mobo and 1TB nvme boot drive..
I dont even really play video games outside of VR :^)

Which 1440p, 144hz monitor are you rocking?
Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 5510 from 2015/2016
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz  2.40 GHz
  • Installed RAM: 8.00 GB
  • System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
  • HDD: 1 TB
  • Optical Drive: Laptop disc drive
  • Display: 1920 x 1080
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphic 520 (Integrated Graphics Card)
  • A broken laptop screen (Currently hooked up to my television)
  • Battery that dies in approximately thirty minutes
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • Stxtics
(13th August 2021, 12:23 AM)JEEJAYEM Wrote: not only did i upgrade my monitor and CPU, but i also upgraded the GPU =s

[Image: jVZFnNm.jpg]

upgrades again....now im done

[Image: 88O6b0s.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEEJAYEM For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ, Eternal