Playstation 5
(14th June 2020, 2:07 PM)Lego-man945 Wrote: so what's the price?

"Yes" -Sony
The specs look impressive. I don't have any intention of buying the new consoles but they look a lot better than the PS4 and Xbox One did when they came out. Both the last gen and upcoming generation of consoles use AMD for their processors and graphics, and AMD is in a much better position today than they were back in 2012/2013 when the last gen consoles were being developed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Legend For This Useful Post:
  • David, OldMarx
Im a huge spidey fanboy so Im hyped for this

The Following 1 User Says Thank You to JEEJAYEM For This Useful Post:
  • Addy
Even though I wasnt planning on getting one, its pretty upsetting that so many people pre-ordered it just to resell it for over quadruple the price. While there were people who actually wanted it but couldnt get a preorder in cuz of these scalpers
Final Fantasy XVI machine
(15th November 2020, 12:02 PM)JEEJAYEM Wrote: Even though I wasnt planning on getting one, its pretty upsetting that so many people pre-ordered it just to resell it for over quadruple the price. While there were people who actually wanted it but couldnt get a preorder in cuz of these scalpers

It's mainly selling for around $1000 rather than 4x the price if you look at sold listings but yeah it's a sucky situation, same thing is happening to the new Xbox's and new PC hardware such as NVIDIA's RTX 3000 series, AMD's new Ryzen 5000 CPU series, and will happen too to AMD's new RX 6000 GPU series of cards. A lot of these scalpers use bots to secure orders of this stuff, so people actually interested in the products trying to buy normally have quite low chances of getting anything (I don't know if it's mostly bots buying things up, but definitely a large portion). I wish people wouldn't give in and pay these ridiculous prices but they are and I don't expect things to settle down until next year. Stuff like this always happens but the issue has been inflated due to the pandemic (people stuck at home want new fun toys) and the holiday season makes it even worse, it's the perfect environment for scalpers (not to mention there's people who have resorted to scalping as a way to pay bills due to hardships from the pandemic).

Anyway, in more happy news I'm very much enjoying my PS5. I pre-ordered it the day the release date and price was revealed and consider myself lucky to have gotten the order in. I picked up Spider-Man Miles Morales as well as Demon's Souls and I'm having a lot of fun, I beat Miles Morales the day I picked up my PS5 (sucks it wasn't longer, but a great experience) and have been mostly playing Demon's Souls since. This is the first real souls game I've put time into, I briefly tried the first Dark Souls a while ago but didn't like it but I'm having a ton of fun with Demon's Souls so I'm thinking it just never clicked for me before and that I can go back and enjoy the other Souls games at some point. Load times are great, and I'm loving these performance modes, I really hope 60fps or higher is given as a option for every PS5 game (at the very least exclusives, I am a PC gamer but I love PS exclusives). The controller is quite excellent, I really like the adaptive triggers and want to see more games taking advantage of them. Astro's Playroom gives you a really good test of the controllers features so I recommend anyone who gets a PS5 to try that (I've only put around an hour into it and do plan to play more of it, but you don't need to play long to see how cool the controller is). Here's a picture I already posted in another thread: 

[Image: LX7EMNO.jpg]

All in all I'd say this was very much worth it, I can easily recommend it especially considering you don't even really need to keep a PS4 around since it has backwards compatibility (minus like 10 games that no one's really heard of lol) Keeping my PS4 tho, I'm a collector so ain't letting that go plus I want to do some comparisons
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Colind, gemj, JEEJAYEM
(15th November 2020, 5:36 PM)David Wrote: It's mainly selling for around $1000 rather than 4x the price if you look at sold listings but yeah it's a sucky situation, same thing is happening to the new Xbox's and new PC hardware such as NVIDIA's RTX 3000 series, AMD's new Ryzen 5000 CPU series, and will happen too to AMD's new RX 6000 GPU series of cards. A lot of these scalpers use bots to secure orders of this stuff, so people actually interested in the products trying to buy normally have quite low chances of getting anything (I don't know if it's mostly bots buying things up, but definitely a large portion). I wish people wouldn't give in and pay these ridiculous prices but they are and I don't expect things to settle down until next year. Stuff like this always happens but the issue has been inflated due to the pandemic (people stuck at home want new fun toys) and the holiday season makes it even worse, it's the perfect environment for scalpers (not to mention there's people who have resorted to scalping as a way to pay bills due to hardships from the pandemic).

Anyway, in more happy news I'm very much enjoying my PS5. I pre-ordered it the day the release date and price was revealed and consider myself lucky to have gotten the order in. I picked up Spider-Man Miles Morales as well as Demon's Souls and I'm having a lot of fun, I beat Miles Morales the day I picked up my PS5 (sucks it wasn't longer, but a great experience) and have been mostly playing Demon's Souls since. This is the first real souls game I've put time into, I briefly tried the first Dark Souls a while ago but didn't like it but I'm having a ton of fun with Demon's Souls so I'm thinking it just never clicked for me before and that I can go back and enjoy the other Souls games at some point. Load times are great, and I'm loving these performance modes, I really hope 60fps or higher is given as a option for every PS5 game (at the very least exclusives, I am a PC gamer but I love PS exclusives). The controller is quite excellent, I really like the adaptive triggers and want to see more games taking advantage of them. Astro's Playroom gives you a really good test of the controllers features so I recommend anyone who gets a PS5 to try that (I've only put around an hour into it and do plan to play more of it, but you don't need to play long to see how cool the controller is). Here's a picture I already posted in another thread: 

[Image: LX7EMNO.jpg]

All in all I'd say this was very much worth it, I can easily recommend it especially considering you don't even really need to keep a PS4 around since it has backwards compatibility (minus like 10 games that no one's really heard of lol) Keeping my PS4 tho, I'm a collector so ain't letting that go plus I want to do some comparisons

Bro, you've to tell me how good that new Spider-Man game is, without spoilers though. I played the other game on the PS4 but I haven't gotten around getting a PS5 since I'm currently debating on what it's more important to get, PC or PS5 and get a few games like Spider-Man Miles Morales.
I'd have to consciously stop myself from buying the PS5 just to play the insomniac spiderman games
can I get some second opinions? I initially thought I wouldn't be interested in the PlayStation 5 and would instead invest in a PC, but now I'm tossing up.

one one hand, I've got a history with PlayStation: I have a PS4, a ton of (hopefully) backwards compatible games, my account etc.. the PS5 looks good, but for my current "setup", I'd probably also have to invest in a new monitor/TV, as I doubt my old TV that I've used for my PS4 will be able to keep up. there's also the issue of availability and whether I can actually get a console. this is likely the cheaper option, because I won't be scammed into buying resales.

I'd also need a monitor for PC. specs shouldn't be a problem... right? I'm not very knowledgeable on how PC compares to the incoming gen of consoles, but I'm taking time to do my research. tbh, I'm not very knowledgeable on PCs in general, which is a big downside. although, having a PC would bode well for my day-to-day life much more than a dedicated console. as of the moment I have a laptop but it's not something I want to rely on forever. regarding the cost, PCs are another level to the PS5, from what I know.

of course, primary interest here is gaming. neither option satisfies everything, and I haven't really mentioned every detail for concision's sake, but I'm looking to get as much quality as I can. idk if matching the PS5 specs via PC is a reasonable goal: like I said, I'm a noob at PC stuff, which I understand isn't ideal. if someone does take the time out of their day to help me out, just know I can afford both but within reason; I'll let you know if I can't.
I will never buy PS5
[Image: boomboomforalltid.gif?width=400&height=119]
(15th November 2020, 7:43 PM)Colind Wrote: Bro, you've to tell me how good that new Spider-Man game is, without spoilers though. I played the other game on the PS4 but I haven't gotten around getting a PS5 since I'm currently debating on what it's more important to get, PC or PS5 and get a few games like Spider-Man Miles Morales.

It's mostly the same gameplay wise as Spider-Man (2018) but with some awesome new abilities, the story is quite good and there's overall plenty of things to do but like I said it is much shorter. Essentially if you loved Spider-Man (2018) you'll love this one as well. You don't have to own a PS5 though, the game is out on PS4 as well (I do recommend the PS5 version though for its performance mode and great loading times). Either way, excellent game

(15th November 2020, 9:21 PM)JEEJAYEM Wrote: I'd have to consciously stop myself from buying the PS5 just to play the insomniac spiderman games

You could just play them on PS4 unless you mean you want all those enhancements from the PS5 versions

(16th November 2020, 2:51 AM)gemj Wrote: can I get some second opinions? I initially thought I wouldn't be interested in the PlayStation 5 and would instead invest in a PC, but now I'm tossing up.

one one hand, I've got a history with PlayStation: I have a PS4, a ton of (hopefully) backwards compatible games, my account etc.. the PS5 looks good, but for my current "setup", I'd probably also have to invest in a new monitor/TV, as I doubt my old TV that I've used for my PS4 will be able to keep up. there's also the issue of availability and whether I can actually get a console. this is likely the cheaper option, because I won't be scammed into buying resales.

I'd also need a monitor for PC. specs shouldn't be a problem... right? I'm not very knowledgeable on how PC compares to the incoming gen of consoles, but I'm taking time to do my research. tbh, I'm not very knowledgeable on PCs in general, which is a big downside. although, having a PC would bode well for my day-to-day life much more than a dedicated console. as of the moment I have a laptop but it's not something I want to rely on forever. regarding the cost, PCs are another level to the PS5, from what I know.

of course, primary interest here is gaming. neither option satisfies everything, and I haven't really mentioned every detail for concision's sake, but I'm looking to get as much quality as I can. idk if matching the PS5 specs via PC is a reasonable goal: like I said, I'm a noob at PC stuff, which I understand isn't ideal. if someone does take the time out of their day to help me out, just know I can afford both but within reason; I'll let you know if I can't.

Well to put it simply you won't be able to put together a PC anywhere close to the specs of the PS5 at the same price point, the CPU in the new consoles is essentially a downclocked Ryzen 7 3700x which sells for around $280 at it's cheapest right now which is already more than half the cost of any of the new consoles so that should give you an idea. That said, on PC you have a lot more control over the performance you can get where as on console it's mostly 2 options, performance and cinematic modes where one runs at 60FPS and the other 30FPS. But keyword there is mostly, there are some games that actually support 120FPS modes on PS5 (Series X and Series S also support 120FPS) such as Borderlands 3, the new COD Black Ops Cold War, Dirt 5, and some others. (and I expect some games to have even more options, but not many)

In my opinion, since you don't already have a gaming PC, that's what I would do first. PC is so much more versatile, if I didn't already have a gaming rig that's what I would have done instead. You won't match the PS5 spec wise unless you spend over $1000 (and even then the PS5 still has an advantage with it's super fast SSD and I/O design until DirectStorage comes out and gets implemented in games on PC) but you'll have a much bigger selection of games and have lots of control over what kind of performance you get within your hardwares limitations as well as of course being able to do all things PC's can do that consoles can't. 

If your old TV is just a simple 1080p 60hz display I would recommend upgrading for the PS5, on big TV's 4K makes a very noticeable difference but if it's a real small TV it's not going to be that noticeable and would probably be fine (and it can still look better than a game running at native 1080p due to downscaling). Ideally you'd want a HDMI 2.1 equipped 4k 120Hz HDR TV to take full advantage of the PS5's capabilities but that's gonna be like $800 atleast (edit: looks like theres some around $500, didn't know it got that cheap lol), so just a regular 4K tv would be fine but I would make sure to find one with good response times and good colors. As for PC, assuming your budget is around $800 or less for the computer, I'd recommend something like a 24" 1080p 144Hz display which can be had for under $200. If you're wanting a display that would eventually be used for both I'd probably recommend a 60hz 4K monitor, preferably at least 27".

One thing to point out, and I'd have to check for the PS5 (haven't found confirmation it's the same for PS5), but I know for the Xbox Series X (and by extension the Series S) you can't select the 120Hz option unless your display has HDMI 2.1 so even if a monitor supports say 240Hz but has no HDMI 2.1 you'd be stuck at 60Hz, so if that's the case for the PS5 as well I just want it to be clear incase you would want to take advantage of 120Hz on a non-hdmi 2.1 monitor with a PS5. Edit: Apparently you don't need HDMI 2.1 to get 120Hz on the new Xbox's or the PS5, this is only for 4K 120Hz and it appears people took that and thought it applied to 120Hz at any resolution. That said, some high refresh rate monitors might not work for 120Hz on these consoles so it's best to do some research if anyone plans on using one for the new consoles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, JEEJAYEM
pc master race

im waiting for a ps5 restock i missed the first release and i dont feel like paying resell for a console
[Image: VnNsnRk.gif]
I believe the ps5 supports 120hz, so to get the most out of it make sure you have a native 120hz tv or monitor.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Legend For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
@David i assumed the spiderman games by insomniac were gonna be PS5 exclusive

Now I'm hyped af to get them on PS4
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to JEEJAYEM For This Useful Post:
  • David
Managed to preorder a console on the 2nd wave of preorders here. Release day is on Thursday but I don't see it arriving till at least the end of the month