Very confusing fact why people prefer PR2
(23rd June 2020, 8:40 AM)lalafox Wrote: pr3 is too anime
ayy lmao I can agree right there and sometimes earrape
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to TaroNuke For This Useful Post:
  • lalafox
(22nd June 2020, 10:45 PM)tadtad Wrote: Platform Racing 1 is the only good one
it's not really that interesting though because nobody even plays it.
(19th August 2020, 10:33 AM)TaroNuke Wrote: it's not really that interesting though because nobody even plays it.

r/woosh

That right there explains why this guy thinks PR3 is better than PR2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a7x3 For This Useful Post:
  • Fresh Cookies, Janelle, JEEJAYEM
(19th August 2020, 12:21 PM)a7x3 Wrote: r/woosh

That right there explains why this guy thinks PR3 is better than PR2
.>.
tbf this is the guy who sees more than 1 line of text and goes "ok that's too long"
á
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Janelle, JEEJAYEM
PR3's art is horrendous. There's multiple other negatives about it that have already been mentioned here, but yeah the art was a major turn off for me.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=515167&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c5=ff3333]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FDX3 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, gemj, JEEJAYEM, lalafox
I had a much longer response written but unfortunately I defocused the text box, hit backspace and it was all sent into the ether. Oops!

PR3 was soured by three things: its movement, its artstyle, and the terrible negligence of its publisher, Sparkworkz. Others will tell you more about those flaws better than I could. However, I do think beneath the grime atop of it, there's a genuine attempt at improving the series' formula.

Overall, its greatest success was the level editor. Not only do you get excellent additions like custom layers, but the block editor was an absolutely game-changing addition; however it could be something of a double-edged sword. Consider that whenever you enter a level with custom blocks, you're trusting the author to meaningfully convey the meaning of each block when you take a cursory glance at them, which can lead to situations of trial and error. If you're curious on just what it can do, I recreated the first level of the NES game Kid Icarus with it. Awesome stuff.

Gameplay-wise it does have several merits. I vastly prefer the single-player time trial oriented campaign over the several hand-picked sets of levels that PR2 has. Time trials are something I've longed for PR2 to have: rewards for not just completing a level, but for mastering it! The reward of body parts from acquiring gold medals is simply excellent, and challenging friends' times with their ghosts was a great time too.

I do admire the selection of hats it introduces. The hats awarded from the campaign like the Miner Hat or the Aviator Hat feel like stuff that would fit right in with PR2's roster of headwear. Stuff like the Shark Hat, the Nurse Hat, among others are also excellent additions (that should be backported, honestly! Maybe I'll make that a project of mine).

So...yeah. Not too much else to say. Its a game with amazing amounts of potential squandered by a few gameplay quirks and the incompetence of Sparkworkz who left the game in limbo.

To quote their CEO: "[Jiggmin] definitely did something right with Platform Racing 1 and 2, and we wanted him to see his entire vision through with Platform Racing 3." They saw it through, certainly. However, they didn't see it much afterward unfortunately.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj, JEEJAYEM
ill keep it short

pr3 is trash
[Image: VnNsnRk.gif]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thique For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Janelle, JEEJAYEM
[Image: 4cqqom.jpg]
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, JEEJAYEM
(24th August 2020, 9:38 PM)Northadox Wrote:  If you're curious on just what it can do, I recreated the first level of the NES game Kid Icarus with it. Awesome stuff.
if you had enough computing power and motivation now you could probably emulate the NES game Kid Icarus in pr3.

Huge focus on the computing power thing. PR3's placement of blocks through other blocks is not very efficient (largely a fault of translation between Lua and Actionscript), and even my Ryzen 7 2700X can't do much more than 200 blocks placed per frame. Sure, it seems like a lot, but it's not good for detailed display, and you have to work with the understanding that others will have a lot of trouble playing.

Nonetheless, more basic games have been made (like a basic Asteroids game and a difficult gravity game)

I'm prolly gonna make tetris using this technology (made by gasterskyRAW who I firmly believe is a lua genius) in the near future. Basic games really aren't that hard when the rendering is not a thing you have to deal with. I did make two libraries (including a text library and a shapes library) that can make rendering circles and text require one line instead of 90 because it defines a function to do that for you. It's pretty cool stuff.
i failed the mario twitter challenge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePizzaEater1000 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox, tadtad
(25th August 2020, 10:31 PM)ThePizzaEater1000 Wrote: if you had enough computing power and motivation now you could probably emulate the NES game Kid Icarus in pr3.

Huge focus on the computing power thing. PR3's placement of blocks through other blocks is not very efficient (largely a fault of translation between Lua and Actionscript), and even my Ryzen 7 2700X can't do much more than 200 blocks placed per frame. Sure, it seems like a lot, but it's not good for detailed display, and you have to work with the understanding that others will have a lot of trouble playing.

Nonetheless, more basic games have been made (like a basic Asteroids game and a difficult gravity game)

I'm prolly gonna make tetris using this technology (made by gasterskyRAW who I firmly believe is a lua genius) in the near future. Basic games really aren't that hard when the rendering is not a thing you have to deal with. I did make two libraries (including a text library and a shapes library) that can make rendering circles and text require one line instead of 90 because it defines a function to do that for you. It's pretty cool stuff.

These are all incredible things of course, but this thread's reminiscing about the old days of PR3, not the flexible Lua stuff that's been added to PR3R. Great stuff, mind you, but perhaps the greater PR community is is more so about the methodical muscle-memory aspect of the franchise, not so much the nuanced complexities you can achieve with its level editor.

I do want to see how an emulator would work in PR3R though. Get on it people
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, ThePizzaEater1000
(26th August 2020, 10:46 AM)Northadox Wrote: These are all incredible things of course, but this thread's reminiscing about the old days of PR3, not the flexible Lua stuff that's been added to PR3R. Great stuff, mind you, but perhaps the greater PR community is is more so about the methodical muscle-memory aspect of the franchise, not so much the nuanced complexities you can achieve with its level editor.

I do want to see how an emulator would work in PR3R though. Get on it people

Main problem with emulation of games in PR3 is the fact that display is just too computationally taxing for anything more than about 3000 total pixels (the display in the current best PR3 game console block is 71x45, about 3195 pixels). Simplified versions of older games can definitely be made within these limitations, though the data might require multiple blocks for larger games.

An emulator in PR3R would most likely be on the same basis of the other fully virtualized games made in PR3, with people manually coding the games in Lua.
i failed the mario twitter challenge
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to ThePizzaEater1000 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
Pr3 is anime
[Image: giphy.gif]