Ghost Push Blocks
Pretty simple idea. It's a push block, but the player can't interact with it at all; it can be pushed by other push blocks, and it pushes other push blocks.

This will seem supremely useless to anyone making normal races, but if you've ever tried to create state machines in PR2, you'll recognize the importance of these. Forcing the player to move bits without them accidentally hitting the wrong blocks is absolutely maddening.

I have an example below of why this is important. You can see that long strings of push blocks can be used to allow a player at one place on the map to change the state of push blocks farther away on the map. With Ghost Push blocks, there can be an intersection between paths the player can traverse and the "circuits" that allow these push blocks to function.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kwing For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Camer the Dragon, gemj, JEEJAYEM, Lego-man945
This is a good idea, but it would need to be a different color/look faded into the background, otherwise I can see this becoming very confusing.
-AspectZero
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AspectZero For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj, JEEJAYEM
This would be immensely confusing (in terms of visual) but I think the mechanic idea is very cool
I don't think they should be ghosts, but rather just another block type that kinda looks like a push but also looks like "I can't push this myself" maybe like a push block with a chain on it or a metallic crate looking push block
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(25th June 2020, 9:20 AM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: This would be immensely confusing (in terms of visual) but I think the mechanic idea is very cool
I don't think they should be ghosts, but rather just another block type that kinda looks like a push but also looks like "I can't push this myself" maybe like a push block with a chain on it or a metallic crate looking push block

I like these ideas! I'll add that I think the little circle that we see on the yellow push block should stay. little bit of continuity I suppose.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to gemj For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon
(25th June 2020, 2:53 PM)gemj Wrote: I like these ideas! I'll add that I think the little circle that we see on the yellow push block should stay. little bit of continuity I suppose.

yea the circle is a must imo
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(25th June 2020, 9:20 AM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: This would be immensely confusing (in terms of visual) but I think the mechanic idea is very cool

I like the idea of a chain. Maybe two yellow chains in a plus shape with the trademark white circle in the middle somehow?
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Kwing For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(25th June 2020, 9:53 PM)Kwing Wrote: I like the idea of a chain. Maybe two yellow chains in a plus shape with the trademark white circle in the middle somehow?

I will make both designs and then I will see what you think of both

EDIT: 3 types

1) Chains going over
2) Metallic Box
3) Chains going over, with white circle over chains

(I made the chains loop nicely block to block)
á
(25th June 2020, 11:00 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: I will make both designs and then I will see what you think of both

EDIT: 3 types

1) Chains going over
2) Metallic Box
3) Chains going over, with white circle over chains

(I made the chains loop nicely block to block)

I like the white circle going over the blocks in the 3rd design, but all three of these look like solid blocks; players will be surprised when they go through them.

What if it's JUST the chains (looking similar to the 1st design,) but both the vertical and horizontal chains connect to a single white ring in the middle? The chains can also be yellow in color to indicate likeness to the Push Block. With no block background, this will more closely resemble a non-block.

Alternatively they could look more like pistons than chains. I think what's most important is having the corners of the blocks be transparent; a full outline will make it look too block-like.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Kwing For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(26th June 2020, 6:09 PM)Kwing Wrote: I like the white circle going over the blocks in the 3rd design, but all three of these look like solid blocks; players will be surprised when they go through them.

What if it's JUST the chains (looking similar to the 1st design,) but both the vertical and horizontal chains connect to a single white ring in the middle? The chains can also be yellow in color to indicate likeness to the Push Block. With no block background, this will more closely resemble a non-block.

Alternatively they could look more like pistons than chains. I think what's most important is having the corners of the blocks be transparent; a full outline will make it look too block-like.

ohhhhh I misunderstood the block idea, I thought it was solid push blocks only other push blocks could interact with
in that case then this:

á
What I'm hearing is.. movable water blocks lol

I guess they'd only be movable by push blocks? idk
(26th June 2020, 7:03 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: ohhhhh I misunderstood the block idea, I thought it was solid push blocks only other push blocks could interact with
in that case then this:

Not exactly what I was thinking. I made my own inspired by the one you did. What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kwing For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj