Kongregate Closing Game Submissions
As we all know every time we open Google Chrome, Flash dies in just a couple of months.  Kongregate just announced some changes that they've made or will be making in the near future to prepare.

- They will no longer be accepting new game submissions.
- There will be no more added badges.
- Many chat rooms will be closing, including many dedicated to specific games.  Roughly 20 game chats will remain.
- Many forums will be closing or will be moved to a read only state.

It really feels like the end of an era.  Aside from obviously Platform Racing 2, I found a lot of amazing games through Kong.  At least the site itself will remain up.

You can read the full announcement here: https://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kong...nouncement

What do you all think?
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to tadtad For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
It makes sense that Kong is taking these steps. I was wondering how/when they were going to start the process of updating their site.

I'm putting off feeling upset until I discover that it's truly impossible to play flash games in my browser. At that point, I'm sure I will be crushed. I am intrigued, though, by the SuperNova SWF Enabler Browser Extension, which I hope will continue to work once browsers drop support for Adobe Flash.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, gemj
Is Kongregate updating to a more secure and in date format, like HTML5? Or are they just gonna shut down? I guess they didn't program the majority of the games, so it would make sense if they shut down.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
I wonder if the PR2 chat is gonna remain
given it was one of the most popular kong games
á
I understand that Flash is going to be officially dropped at the end of 2020, but why the decision to drop game submission altogether to Kongregate? Game engines like Unity and the like do have web support, so I'm confused on why they want to close down further game submissions completely.
It's a damn shame that I won't be able to play hot new games and score badges because I've been doing that since 2011 - it was my go-to web game site and it's a damn shame I won't be able to do that any more (although I don't play Flash games too too often any more, and it seems idle games are forever ubiquitous nowadays).
Reading the forums, it seems this decision was done by Kongregate's parent company (now "MTG", no longer GameStop since 2017) and Flash games being generally unprofitable to maintain on the site, and to push Kartridge further.
Regardless, a true shame.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(2nd July 2020, 1:20 AM)Northadox Wrote: I understand that Flash is going to be officially dropped at the end of 2020, but why the decision to drop game submission altogether to Kongregate? Game engines like Unity and the like do have web support, so I'm confused on why they want to close down further game submissions completely.
It's a damn shame that I won't be able to play hot new games and score badges because I've been doing that since 2011 - it was my go-to web game site and it's a damn shame I won't be able to do that any more (although I don't play Flash games too too often any more, and it seems idle games are forever ubiquitous nowadays).
Reading the forums, it seems this decision was done by Kongregate's parent company (now "MTG", no longer GameStop since 2017) and Flash games being generally unprofitable to maintain on the site, and to push Kartridge further.
Regardless, a true shame.

Bingo, I think they closed submissions on Kong in hopes of pushing Kartridge.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, new bat pr2, Northadox
(1st July 2020, 7:53 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: I wonder if the PR2 chat is gonna remain
given it was one of the most popular kong games

I doubt it. it's pretty bad odds if they're only going to keep twenty chats... I think Kong exclusives with chatrooms will get priority treatment over games like PR2. I'm not too bothered by it, though I wonder what's gonna happen to all the big custom chatrooms (or whatever they were called), the ones that were run by individual people and didn't serve a game. some of them had pretty cool people, but given that I haven't been in one since about 2013/2014 I can only guess as to whether they're popular enough to be worth saving.