Speedrunner of the Week Revival #3
Speedrunner of the Week!
Welcome to Speedrunner of the Week! What is Speedrunner of the Week? It is a contest for skilled players, there are racers, fast racers, and on another level, speed runners. Do you have what it takes to be a speed runner?
How does it work? Every week a new level is picked for players to speed run, a time is selected for you to beat, you must beat that time and all other contestants' times, the fastest time sent in by the end of the week will be the winner.
For winning this contest, the player will receive 5 points for the contest and epic croc set. For the person that gets second place gets 4 points, the third person gets 3 points, and fourth place will get 2 points. Everyone else will get 1 point. Submissions will close on Sundays at 12am (EST)
Rules:
• Failure to follow these guide lines will void your run for the week.
• No corner glitches are allowed or any other glitch, unless the level requires it
• You are only allowed to use up to 195 Stat Points(Rank 45)
• You are not allowed to use any hats other than the Exp Hat, Kong Hat, Party Hat, Jigg Hat, and the Jellyfish hat.
• Stat blocks and items are allowed.
• Only Video Submissions are allowed.
• Only Videos submitted here in this thread will count!

Prizes:
25 Points - 10,000,000 Experience
20 Points - Bat Set(+Epic)
15 Points - 5,000,000 Experience
10 Points - Epic Collar Body
5 Points - Crocodile Set(+Epic)
The Level Selected For This Week:
~Cavernous~ by Justinbob100 (5858000)
1:10.00
Last Week's Winner: bi3liu!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashley766 For This Useful Post:
  • PanchoMTP, Ranko Danko
[Image: jZrIuqi.png]

wonder if that shortcut is allowed (can either low jump it or use sword to take away the vanish & speed across)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bi3liu For This Useful Post:
  • Atari4600, PanchoMTP, Ranko Danko, Vipa
(18th October 2020, 10:49 PM)bi3liu Wrote: snip

wonder if that shortcut is allowed (can either low jump it or use sword to take away the vanish & speed across)
Hmm, another situation where 
Glitch: No
Breaks level flow: Yes

perhaps a slight edit to the rules would be beneficial and would clear a lot of this up.

Rule 1: The user must play the level as the creator intended.
Rule 2: Glitches are allowed IF they do not break level flow.
Rule 3: If the level intends for you to glitch in order to advance in the level it is allowed (obviously) (This is a redundant rule because by following rule 1 you play the map as intended by the creator)

however, if you decide to glitch so that you can skip a segment of a map then it breaks level flow and therefore not allowed

Two of the controversial tricks are

1) Low Jumps
which means you are above the lowest part of a block, but your Next intended XPOS is within "corner glitching" range and as you collide with the block from the side, pr2 sets your position on top of the block. There are a few ways this can be done, but the important part is that it is a glitch. But, in many cases it does not break level flow within the level. low jumps can be done accidentally or on purpose but the important part is that it does not break level flow.

2) "Head Glitches" (I will refer to this as "Head Clips" because this is not a glitch)
This is where pr2 does a poor job determining where your pr2 character inside of a 1-block tall gap. So in regards to Bi3liu's question, his pr2 character could skip a portion of the map without actually glitching. So, it violates rule 1 because the creator did not intend that their map to be traveled in that manner.

with this edit to the rules it would be easy to answer Bi3liu's question, because doing that head clip would result in a break of level flow which is against the rules. However, in the previous week, Bi3liu's question would be allowed because while it is the same head clip, it does not break level flow and therefore would be allowed.

It is easier to define breaking level flow versus defining what a glitch is and isn't
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atari4600 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bi3liu
(19th October 2020, 12:10 PM)Atari4600 Wrote: Hmm, another situation where 
Glitch: No
Breaks level flow: Yes

perhaps a slight edit to the rules would be beneficial and would clear a lot of this up.

Glitches are allowed as long as they do not break level flow (aka playing it as the map as it was intended to be played).

I just updated the rules now. Glitches aren't allowed at all, even the ones that break the level flow 🤔
(19th October 2020, 12:24 PM)Ashley766 Wrote: I just updated the rules now. Glitches aren't allowed at all, even the ones that break the level flow 🤔
Even the ones that do not break level flow?

are head clips a form of glitching?

and because of that rule, all glitches that are performed within a run (even accidental) creates a dead run and cannot be submitted?
(19th October 2020, 12:26 PM)Atari4600 Wrote: Even the ones that do not break level flow?

are head clips a form of glitching?

and because of that rule, all glitches that are performed within a run (even accidental) creates a dead run and cannot be submitted?

well the ones that don't break the level flow are fine. I think in bi3liu's case, it's not a glitch, more or less a shortcut

by headclips, do u mean head glitch?
Imo, "mild glitches" (I call them glitches, because they are definitely not intended) like "head clipping", "block snapping", etc, should be allowed. Those don´t really break the level flow on their own, and can be done by accident, so banning them could be problematic.

But, why do we ban corner glitching, for example? Because it has the potential to break the level flow "too much", those can lead to big shortcuts. The shortcut that bi3 showed allows you to skip the part where you have to go down and rotate again, which would be one of those situations where it breaks the level flow a bit too much, I think
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PanchoMTP For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bi3liu
Don't think we should make too much of a big deal out of this. Major glitches shouldn't be allowed like corner glitching and stuff. Bi3s screenie isn't even a glitch, it's just a way to optimize and get a better time on the course, just like in the end of Mario bros speed/remix where u use jetpack or prop hat to glide straight to the finish, instead of going around.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vipa For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bi3liu, PanchoMTP
Like, if someone is intentionally glitching, that's not okay, but @Vipa sums it up clearly 🤗
(19th October 2020, 12:28 PM)Ashley766 Wrote: by headclips, do u mean head glitch?
I am referring the "head glitch" as a "head clip" because in reality, that specific movement is not a glitch. That was intentional game design.

(19th October 2020, 2:50 PM)PanchoMTP Wrote: Imo, "mild glitches" (I call them glitches, because they are definitely not intended) like "head clipping", "block snapping", etc, should be allowed. Those don´t really break the level flow on their own, and can be done by accident, so banning them could be problematic.
I really like this, it drives a good point home, but just because some glitches are easy doesn't mean they should be allowed. and I agree, these do not break level flow but those same maneuvers can break level flow, its hard to allow one glitch in one map but not another in an entirely different map (I am more driving this point home because of ambiguity) 

(19th October 2020, 2:50 PM)PanchoMTP Wrote: But, why do we ban corner glitching, for example? Because it has the potential to break the level flow "too much", those can lead to big shortcuts. The shortcut that bi3 showed allows you to skip the part where you have to go down and rotate again, which would be one of those situations where it breaks the level flow a bit too much, I think

Excellent point!! I am all for an entirely glitchless contest, but I have a problem with shortcuts that are "too big." "Too much" is rather vague, and I probably am making a mountain out of a mole hill here and it is my mathematical mind that likes a lot of black and white and not a whole lot of grey.

(19th October 2020, 3:19 PM)Ashley766 Wrote: Like, if someone is intentionally glitching, that's not okay, but Vipa sums it up clearly 🤗
Hmm, hypothetically, if edge clipping (low jumping) is allowed, lets suppose I just happened to edge clip 40 times which saved over a minute in the level, it did not break level flow and I didn't "Intend" to do it. Seems vague in my opinion, but on the other hand, if you allow it by accident, then that's opening pandora's box for people to "accidentally" do it in their runs.

but on the other hand, those glitches are VERY easy to do, should people just be careful not to glitch or is just following the flow of the map good enough?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atari4600 For This Useful Post:
  • bi3liu, Mia, PanchoMTP
(19th October 2020, 8:30 PM)Atari4600 Wrote: I am referring the "head glitch" as a "head clip" because in reality, that specific movement is not a glitch. That was intentional game design.

[Image: giphy-downsized.gif]

It always bugged the crap outta me hearing people call it "head glitch" when it's an intentional feature. If it's an intentional feature, people should be able to use it to their advantage.

If the level creator doesn't want them to go that way, but gives them the opportunity, then it's poor level design in my opinion.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Atari4600
Welp, let´s not complicate things more. The rules are "no glitching unless required", not "no skips", and I understand that head clipping actually might be intentional, hence not a glitch, so, that skip is allowed under these terms
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to PanchoMTP For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766
bump! bi3liu's shortcut is allowed btw

Yoloswagmatt
[Image: giphy.gif]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vipa For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Athena, ExplosionZ, Master Raiden, PanchoMTP

I didn´t really play this week, but I want my 1 point xd
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PanchoMTP For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Athena, Vipa
Video 
Time: 58:19
I don't know what's up with the quality, I apologize

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Athena For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, PanchoMTP, Vipa
Reserved, it's already saturday night jeez I just got out of bed and I leave for work in 45 mins lol

EDIT: that's all the time I had, if only we had time on Sunday that's my day off usually. Shame that I got a time in the 54s when I practiced these wacky stats a bit on monday, item luck sucks, couldn't get a sword when needed tonight.

If you're reading this, it means I have not made a cool signature yet and you should be proud of yourself.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TRUC For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Master Raiden, PanchoMTP, Vipa
posting for Ariana:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashley766 For This Useful Post:
  • PanchoMTP, Vipa
Video 
~Cavernous~ by justinbob100
0:52.30
https://streamable.com/hbqmtn
[Image: E9FYoB7.png]
[Image: q2GRKUL.png]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master Raiden For This Useful Post: