The Game Awards 2020
The nominees for The Game Awards have been revealed and the show will be on December 10th, 2020. The nominees for Game of the Year are:

- Doom Eternal
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Hades
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- The Last of Us Part II

Here's a link: https://thegameawards.com/nominees

What game do you think will win? And what game do you want to win? There are of course a bunch of other categories but I don't want to clog this thread up so I'm just putting the GOTY nominees in this post, feel free to discuss any of the other categories though.

Personally I want FF7 Remake to win, I think Square Enix did an amazing job balancing nostalgia and bringing the game to a modern time with the satisfying combat, gorgeous graphics (textures issues aside ha), excellent updated soundtrack, as well as some new story additions. There are some valid criticisms, especially the ending which I too had a big problem with upon first completing it, but after realizing what they're overall going for I now find it quite interesting and am excited for the next entries. Overall it's a spectacular game, but I am biased as I'm a huge FF7 fan and am deeply invested in the story.

As for who I think will win, I do think FF7 Remake stands a good chance, but I really wouldn't be surprised if The Last of Us Part II wins as I believe critics have the majority of the say in who wins GOTY for this event. I did very much enjoy Last of Us 2 but I did have a problem with the second half of the game as I found it quite unnecessary and think it could've been completely fine with some cutscenes instead (and maybe a few brief gameplay flashbacks) as I already got the point of what they were going for much earlier so it just felt like it dragged on. There are some other story criticisms I have but I don't want to get into any spoilers. As for gameplay I would agree it's not very deep but I did enjoy it, although it is a bit shallow for the 25 or so hours length the game is. That said, the game is polarizing so I could also easily see it not winning. I don't think Animal Crossing or Doom Eternal have a chance at winning, which leaves Hades and Ghost of Tsushima. I haven't played Ghost of Tsushima or Hades but they are serious contenders, but I'll predict Ghost of Tsushima won't win. Going off what YongYea said and looking at the shear number of reviews Hades has a very good chance of winning but I don't think it'll edge out FF7 Remake or Last of Us II. So with all that I'll go ahead and predict FF7 Remake will win, I'm not completely confident in that answer and bias might be influencing that decision a little bit but breaking down all the options I think it makes the most sense. 

(pls don't think I'm hating on any of these games, I'm actually really looking forward to playing Ghost of Tsushima and trying Hades but just don't think they'll win, and while Animal Crossing: New Horizons has done very well I just don't see it winning GOTY either as those kinds of games just don't seem to win GOTY. Doom Eternal looks great but I don't think there's enough overall excitement for it)
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 & 2 for sports and should be a nominee (and eventual winner) for “Game of the Year”.
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
Not a fan of most of these games, nor much of a fan of Keighley's show. I suppose if I'd want any game to win it'd be Doom Eternal for trying to be a video game and not a film, nor something like Animal Crossing where it was butchered by its dripfeed update schedule. I've heard good things about Hades but I've never played.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
I will be pissed if Ghost doesn't win, that game was absolutley amazing
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to a7x3 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
Final fantasy 7 remake is the only game I played out of the nominatees, and it’s one of the best games I’ve played since the Witcher 3, it hits damn near every check box for me and the music is damn amazing. I wish I played some other titles, but I have sold my PlayStation and cannot play the last of us part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima .. I played Star Wars squadron and it is my GOTY for VR as it is extremely immersive
I've only played one of those games.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
all big games, don't really tend to play the big releases
á
haven't played all of them, but Ghost of Tsushima looks the strongest out of those contenders for me. I've never been into Final Fantasy so I wouldn't know if it's in with a good shout. Animal Crossing's got some pretty good opposition, and I couldn't even tell you what Hades is about, so I suppose I doubt those two will win. personally, I hope it comes between Ghost, DOOM and even FF because TLoU got some pretty mixed reviews, which isn't really GotY material. as a massive DOOM and id fan, I'd love to see Eternal win, but I feel Ghost is the most solid contender.
Animal crossing is great. It should win because it is great.
Unsurprisingly The Last of Us Part II won game of the year, I know in my OG post I said I thought FF7 remake would win but that was wishful thinking lol. FF7 Remake did win Best RPG and Best Score/Music though so I'm happy about that. But as always none of this matters that much, I don't like any games more or less for winning/not winning but it is fun and it's nice to see some recognition. Beyond that, the show went on way too long imo (almost 3 hours! or over 3 hours including the pre-show which announced some winners) which was all down to seemingly a bunch of filler, so I think I'm going to skip watching it next year except for the last 15-20 minutes to see GOTY announced (gonna be Cyberpunk 2077 calling it now) and watch highlights after.

Here's the rest of the categories and the winners for each: