[PR2 Bug] Phantom PMs
Do you ever get excited because you got a notification, only for it to be some annoying ad, and now you're disappointed?
Well this is basically that, but worse!

Problem: The PM notification (*) shows even when no new PMs have been received
Type of Problem: Client
Expected Behavior: The PM notification displays only when new PMs have been received
Actual Behavior: The PM notification displays when no new PMs have been received

Steps to Reproduce the Problem:
1. On your account, click on the PMs tab to get rid of the existing PM notification (if there is one)
2. Log Out of your account
3. Log in as a Guest
4. Open either the Chat tab or Account tab.
5. Log Out of Guest
6. Log back in to your account.
The PM notification (*) becomes visible.

[Image: yKt0OyY.png]

Video of the bug
[Image: q2GRKUL.png]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master Raiden For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bls1999, oxy
something tells me this is because logging in as a guest no longer clears your user credentials
(4th December 2020, 11:51 PM)Justinbob100 Wrote: something tells me this is because logging in as a guest no longer clears your user credentials

This has actually been happening long before the last major update.
I just haven't been bothered to report it until now. Smile
[Image: q2GRKUL.png]
yeah this happens to me too, all excited to see a PM and turns out its just a PM I already seen
[Image: VnNsnRk.gif]
This most likely may be because when you log in as a Guest, the game would've sent you an automated PM from Jiggmin, welcoming you to PR2.

And then when you go to your other accounts, that notification hasn't been cleared since you were not able to click on that tab in the first place.

This most likely can still happen if you were to completely create a new account entirely, you don't click on PM, and then you hopped back on to your other accounts as well.
[Image: unknown.png]

It finally happened.
I've wanted to fix this for a while but never remember when it's time for the update. The reason this happens is the PM notification system records the PM a user last read at the time of reading it. Then, each minute, the game checks for the ID of the last PM you received being higher than your last read PM's ID. If it is, then the notification is shown.

The catch: once the highest read message ID of an account is read, it stays in the client. There isn't detection for a separate account. The notification will only reset itself when the PMs tab is clicked. So, a guest account's last read message ID will be super low (if not 0), which will trigger the notification for the next account to have the PMs tab.

I hope that made some sense. TL;DR: it's easily fixable, I just never remember to do so.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Drflash55, Master Raiden
(5th December 2020, 5:16 PM)bls1999 Wrote: TL;DR: it's easily fixable, I just never remember to do so.

If it's easily fixable, why not patch it in without stuffing it into an update?
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
Fixed in v161.1.1!

(5th December 2020, 5:38 PM)Mystery Wrote: If it's easily fixable, why not patch it in without stuffing it into an update?

[Image: giphy.gif]

In all seriousness, historically, I just tried to throw bug fixes into updates because it's kind of a pain to publish another version (no matter how minor) for only one or two fixes. For 161.1.1, it took me about half an hour to break the game go through the processes of uploading and updating everything. There are a lot of things I need to do behind the scenes that make that process very tedious. I'm looking into a way to automate some of it. Would be nice, wouldn't it?

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.