Poll: What level are your art skills on?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I'm a Novice
27.27%
3 27.27%
I'm Intermediate
27.27%
3 27.27%
I'm Advanced
0%
0 0%
I'm a Master
18.18%
2 18.18%
I'm a BOSS
9.09%
1 9.09%
My Artwork is trash!
9.09%
1 9.09%
I can't draw at all!
9.09%
1 9.09%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

4D Artwork Dimension
Inside the Mind of an Artist

I know a lot of you out there are 3D artists, you're very talented and you're a master at your craft. Or, some of you are trash when it comes to drawing, so you quit to avoid embarrassment. You may have a passion for anime and you love Japanese artwork. You're aware of a few popular anime shows like Naruto, One Piece, Attack on Titan, Dragonball Z, Dragon's Dogma, etc. You see your favorite characters in action and the next thing you know, you end up drawing them because they happen to express the way you feel in reality.

Artists aren't born overnight. Unless you're a savant. In order to become really good at your craft, you end up going to school and taking classes. You create an idea in your head but you just don't know how to express it, you're unaware of the dimensions of your masterpiece, how your character is going to turn out, or anything else. You're uncertain of the unknown, so you begin drawing the first thing that comes to mind.

If you screw it up at first... try again. You think you're good, only to have someone with more experience, give you deconstructive criticism, telling you that your artwork is straight trash and ass! Don't let those people prohibit you from picking up that pencil and trying again, or picking up that mouse and designing again.

You happen to notice a lot of really gifted drawers out there who can draw their asses off. These people end up drawing for cartoon shows, they might be into graphic design, their artwork ends up in 'hall of fame' museums where they're showcased for millions to see, and they're even in your favorite video games. But they're levels to this sort of thing. It could take years to reach such an unfathomable level of being able to draw ANYTHING. Here's my perspective of the whole issue:

Novice- You're inexperienced and you know absolutely nothing about drawing, textures, lines, shapes, values, colors, forms, or space. You're picking up that pencil trying to create something really fascinating, but then you get stuck because you don't understand the dimensions and principles that goes along with your imagination. There are so many things to learn at this stage, and could take you years to become a pro, depending on your consistency and time management. So you end up drawing something really terrible, perhaps in 2D art form like this:

Intermediate- You've got some experience with drawing or painting and you understand texture, lines, shapes, etc. At this point in your craft, you should be able to draw simple things like shapes, basic inanimate objects, simple 3D dimensional boxes, people, and you're aware of how to give your artwork a shadow to make it stand out and look more appealing.

Although you are beginning to understand what direction to take your artwork in, you still have a lot to learn about deeper insights into shapes, form, design, etc. You may even begin to create abstract art. Not to mention you should be able to draw some decent looking sketches. So, your typical work (at this level) should look like this:

Advanced- At this point, you've gained deeper insight into the art world and you're able to draw more improved sketches of famous people and appealing things like jewelry, beautiful vacation places, draw sketches of animals, etc. Also, you are fully aware of how to make your drawings look far more realistic than before. Not only have you mastered creativity and physical dexterity, you've also been able to develop memory towards how to start, where to start, what to add, its dimensions and form, and more.

This is more of college level drawing at this stage in your craft, where you're highly technical and you understand more things like rhythm, balance, hierarchy, proportion, etc. You also know how to draw something in front of another thing, making it look realistic as possible. So, at this level, you're artwork should look like this:

Master- Instead of getting inspiration from the things you see on tv, movies, video games, comic books, or anything else... you're your own inspiration. You're able to draw things off the fly and the time it takes for you to draw something or think about what to draw, is diminished, while your creativity is spiraled. You should know a lot about texture, shape, rhythm, balance, hierarchy, proportion, form, emphasis, movement, color, contrast, unity, pattern, value, space, etc.

The list goes on and on. You may think you're a boss at drawing, painting, sketching, graphic design, or anything else. But you still have a lot to learn because the minute you stop learning, you fall behind and spin in circles when introduced to new material. You're beyond college level, but you still have a few more things to learn. But hey, in the mean time, your work should look like this:

BOSS- Now that you have a broad understanding of what makes an extravagant, exquisite, and elegant art design, let's step outside your comfort zone and stretch your imaginations, giving you something that you cannot even begin to process in the physical realm. You've gotten it from the title... 4D Artwork Dimension. I like to define this as 'The Artwork coming to you'. In order to understand this, you must understand how optical illusions work, and how to differentiate between regular drawings versus optical illusion drawings.

At this level, you should be going above and beyond, drawing more technical things, instead of limiting yourself to just regular, creative 3D artwork. The ability to be able to make others think that the drawing looks like it's coming to life, adding more technical variations to your 3D artwork, separates you from all the other 3D artists out there, who may have not reached this level, yet.

If you can draw at this level, you've proven yourself to be a GOD in the art world, and more significantly, you nearly know everything about everything with art, graphic design, painting, sculptures, etc. I'd say in the 90-99 percentile. At this level, you begin to draw things like this:

Ultimately, you get the picture by now, and hopefully you've learned something today. On the other hand, I would like to know what level you're on when it comes to drawing, graphic design, creating sculptures, painting, etc. Do you enjoy what you do, how long have you done it, and have you gotten frustrated attempting to move to a higher level of artwork? Or maybe you're just one of those people who like to read threads but don't comment or vote... That's fine too! Input is welcome and so is voting! Feel free to express your comments below, or even if you want to share any type of personal artwork of any kind, then you're more than welcome!
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Janelle
I’ve always been a fan of drawing... on paper. I usually like to use chalk (black and white) instead of color. That’s more my style. I think artwork is a really creative way to express feelings and thoughts. I’ve been drawing since I was little, but I’d still consider myself “Intermediate”. I’m definitely not the best, lmao.

I took art classes in high school, but that was about it. I mostly draw now whenever I have the time... which isn’t as often as I would like to. It’s definitely a relaxer for me and helps me escape from reality for a little while. Personally, I’m more into drawing realistically. I loooove drawing animals and nature (plants, mountains, etc). I am awful at drawing people and faces. That’s something I’ve been meaning to work on for a while.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Janelle For This Useful Post:
  • Different
I'd call this more of 4th Wall Breaking than 4th Dimension (since it's not literally the 4th dimension that's hypercubes and such) but looks very cool nonetheless
Although I'd say both the last 2 both fall into that category it's just one is passive (the 2nd to last) and one is active (the last)

In terms of drawing I mean I don't rly like doing it much anymore cos it just takes so much time lol and I got other stuff I like to do more than it tbh
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Different
(25th February 2021, 10:38 PM)Janelle Wrote: I’ve always been a fan of drawing... on paper. I usually like to use chalk (black and white) instead of color. That’s more my style. I think artwork is a really creative way to express feelings and thoughts. I’ve been drawing since I was little, but I’d still consider myself “Intermediate”. I’m definitely not the best, lmao.

I took art classes in high school, but that was about it. I mostly draw now whenever I have the time... which isn’t as often as I would like to. It’s definitely a relaxer for me and helps me escape from reality for a little while. Personally, I’m more into drawing realistically. I loooove drawing animals and nature (plants, mountains, etc). I am awful at drawing people and faces. That’s something I’ve been meaning to work on for a while.
I agree. Drawing is a good way to express feelings and thoughts. Not to mention it can help clear some stress off your mind. Yeah it's definitely going to take a while to learn how to draw people. You could probably do a few minor variations of their facial features, but anything beyond that would exceed intermediate level.

However, I'm sure you'll get there in no time with your passion towards starting off with animals and nature.

(25th February 2021, 11:23 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: I'd call this more of 4th Wall Breaking than 4th Dimension (since it's not literally the 4th dimension that's hypercubes and such) but looks very cool nonetheless
Although I'd say both the last 2 both fall into that category it's just one is passive (the 2nd to last) and one is active (the last)

In terms of drawing I mean I don't rly like doing it much anymore cos it just takes so much time lol and I got other stuff I like to do more than it tbh
4th Wall Breaking? That's an interesting way of putting it. Yeah the last 2 do display some variations of 4D art. It's amazing how the 4D can look so life like, as if it's reaching out to you.

I can see where you're coming from, when it comes to spending time drawing. I still draw comics and all, but my art isn't the greatest in the world lol.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Janelle
That "4D" pic is actually 3D.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to JEEJAYEM For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon
(26th February 2021, 2:53 PM)JEEJAYEM Wrote: That "4D" pic is actually 3D.
Which one?
(26th February 2021, 7:16 PM)Fam93 Wrote: Which one?

neither

4-D does not exist in nature and it is probably close to impossible to make a still image look legitimately 4-D. The bottom 2 paintings mainly utilize depth, which is the main component of things that are 3-dimensional, to create the illusion of popping out.

[Image: Glass_tesseract_animation.gif]
(26th February 2021, 9:55 PM)JEEJAYEM Wrote: neither

4-D does not exist in nature and it is probably close to impossible to make a still image look legitimately 4-D.
Well, I wouldn't exactly say that it "does not exist in nature", completely. I would say there are some small variations of it's existence in the 3-D, but these are 3-D shadows that are difficult to comprehend what it is, exactly. It would just be 'out of the ordinary' shadows that we don't see, daily.

(26th February 2021, 9:55 PM)JEEJAYEM Wrote: The bottom 2 paintings mainly utilize depth, which is the main component of things that are 3-dimensional, to create the illusion of popping out.

However, I'll give you credit where it's due- the last 2 paintings are pop-out illusions that mainly utilize 3D depth variations. So with that statement, I'll update the post to avoid casting any confusion on new readers.
(27th February 2021, 12:05 AM)Fam93 Wrote: Well, I wouldn't exactly say that it "does not exist in nature", completely. I would say there are some small variations of it's existence in the 3-D, but these are 3-D shadows that are difficult to comprehend what it is, exactly. It would just be 'out of the ordinary' shadows that we don't see, daily.

Never in my life have I seen a 3-D shadow. If I ever saw a 3-D shadow, I would get help immediately.

4-D does not exist in nature and it is probably close to impossible to make a still image look legitimately 4-D. The bottom 2 paintings mainly utilize depth, which is the main component of things that are 3-dimensional, to create the illusion of popping out.

ye, like I'd call it a 4th wall break rather than 4D
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • JEEJAYEM

alright, thank you for this. I was a little confused and considered the last example 3D. Tongue
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Janelle For This Useful Post:
  • JEEJAYEM
(27th February 2021, 10:12 PM)Delphinoid Wrote: Image 5 is of course arguably more technical, but imo the ultimate "purpose" of art is generally to be appealing, creative, or to serve as a means of expression for the artist (or some combination of these), so by this definition being more capable of creating technical pieces has little to do with one's skill as an artist.
Yes, but it's the technicality that takes your creativity to the next level. I mean, why just limit it to being more appealing and creative? Also, I'm sure that creating technical pieces adds value to one's skill as an artist. To me it says you're able to go above and beyond. No limits.
I used to draw crappy drawings of Mario characters, was a lot of fun though.
[Image: boomboomforalltid.gif?width=400&height=119]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to xGuest For This Useful Post:
  • Different