Poll: What is THE most difficult instrument you've ever played?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Piano
14.29%
2 14.29%
Guitar
14.29%
2 14.29%
Violin
7.14%
1 7.14%
Bass
7.14%
1 7.14%
Flute
7.14%
1 7.14%
Gloggomobil
7.14%
1 7.14%
Gottuvadhyam
14.29%
2 14.29%
Northumbrian smallpipes
7.14%
1 7.14%
Organ
7.14%
1 7.14%
I can't play anything! I'm TRASH!
14.29%
2 14.29%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Most Difficult Instrument
Angry 
MIDI Instruments

Before I share my insight on foreign instruments and such, let's touch base on the MIDI subject, first. You see, there are a lot of musical instruments out there. A lot of them are MIDI based instruments that you can attach to your audio interface and hook up to your computer, playing real time. But hey, a lot of us aren't really musically gifted like that, and because of that, you rely on the computer to play the instruments for you, after you've found some samples for FL Studio, Logic Pro, Pro tools, studio one, or whatever music software you use.

Sure, virtual instruments are nice as hell, but you're not really putting your fingers to work, learning anything. A lot of us don't know how to read music notes, play a song in real time, and if you do, you understand where I'm going with this. You see, Keyboards, guitars, and drum pads aren't the only type of MIDI hardware controller out there. You got all kinds of MIDI wind instruments and anything else here:

https://ask.audio/articles/the-world-of-...ontrollers

But that's not the point. The point is to find out what is the most difficult, frustrating musical instrument you've ever played before. A lot of us see and hear our favorite song artists be able to express such magnificent talent with the guitar and the piano (most popular instruments), on a virtuoso level. Obviously it's because they've been doing it for a long time since childhood, maybe. Unless you're a savant and you were born with this incredible skill set; you have to learn.

If you're a savant, you can play anything because you already understand music theory and your mind instinctively knows the mechanics behind the instrument, or you'll catch on very quickly when learning how to play a new instrument. But most of us on JV are not savants here, I don't think. Even if you don't understand music theory, you've at least developed the desire to play a musical instrument in your life before. Or even as a child, you wanted to play something.

Most of us are naturally drawn towards wanting to play the piano, guitar, drums, violin, strings, and the flute. The reason is because they're THE most popular set of instruments that you will hear in most song bands, concerts, radio stations, etc. Perhaps the easiest instrument to learn is the piano because all you have to do is just press keys and it makes a sound. Strumming the guitar can be quite challenging, in my opinion.

More Instruments

While some of you may only surround yourselves with the above instruments and choose to isolate yourselves from other instruments that you probably didn't know existed, you're limiting yourselves to a plethora of musical instruments that you probably didn't know, existed. Here is a link to a whole set of instruments that are in alphabetical order by name and family, that you may not have known, existed:

https://www.allthemusicalinstrumentsoftheworld.com

Just take a moment to analyze that hot mess and think about how difficult it would be to play one of those foreign instruments. Man, I couldn't even fathom the countless amount of time and energy I would have to spend, learning how to play some of those foreign instruments! I mean, who the hell ever heard of a Gottuvadhyam or a Gloggomobil??! I know I haven't. Most of us are comfortable with Synths, Pianos, Guitars, The Bass, Drums, Percussions, things of that nature.

I mean honestly... can you play this foreign instrument??!

Northumbrian smallpipes

LMFAO! I don't know about any of you, but I wouldn't even know where to start with that monstrosity!

So, at this point I'm just going to randomly select some foreign instruments along with popular ones, and give you a chance to tell me if either of those instruments gave you ANY trouble at all, forcing you to give up and just say F**k it! If you're currently playing an instrument and it's getting on your nerves, let us know above and comment below! If music isn't your thing, then try burning it and finding a new hobby!

I've only played the piano and guitar seriously. Smaller movements matter more for the guitar than the piano, and its more of a ***** to play at higher tempos on the guitar. So the guitars the hardest instrument I've played.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to JEEJAYEM For This Useful Post:
  • Different
horseradish
Yemlo and Co.
(1st June 2022, 12:58 PM)Matt Wrote: horseradish
Nah fam, Mayonnaise is much more harder to play
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:
  • Matt
playing on my own instrument is harder
[Image: giphy.gif]
Bass guitar. Considering the only instruments I have played are a bass guitar and recorder, it is not the best representation of “hard” instruments.
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • Different
(1st June 2022, 2:10 PM)Addy Wrote: Nah fam, Mayonnaise is much more harder to play

mayonnaise isnt a instrument
Yemlo and Co.
(1st June 2022, 6:11 PM)Uptight 534 Wrote: Bass guitar. Considering the only instruments I have played are a bass guitar and recorder, it is not the best representation of “hard” instruments.

Maybe so, but it's a start in the right direction, somewhere. What about you, @bls1999? You have some level of experience and understanding in music, seeing as you're a singer. Maybe you'd like to tell us what instruments are difficult for you to play.