New: Amazon Go Store
I wanted to know your thought's on the new Amazon Go Stores that are being tested and eventually launched. I'm watching a video on it and I feel it can be the next best thing but could potentially be the next big scam if you don't always check receipts after you do a shop? Surely Amazon could add an item in maybe 1 in 30 customers to their bill, small enough so the customer maybe very rarely notice, and in turn could generate Amazon millions. Maybe I'm being stupid asf about talking about this but I kinda liked the idea of being able to pick items up and literally not having to wait for the next man to bag half the store up. But now, after having this thought of maybe having to check the receipt carefully via mobile, after you walk out, this for me would cause more stress than having to go through and pay like normal.

I wanna get some more opinions on the whole thing and thought I'd ask here.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=818553&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
I think the potential is there. The simplicity of walking into a store, grabbing items, and leaving will definitely attract consumers. However, Amazon has a bunch of quirks to work out in their technology. Hopefully, though this will lead to a more expansive operation. Is totally cashier-less grocery shopping in the future going to be the norm?
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Eternal For This Useful Post:
  • bazooka
I'm on board, the technology will only get better so any problems will be reduced probably to the point that it's more reliable than actual cashier's due to human error. It's extremely convenient to grab what you need and simply walk out
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • bazooka
It doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I can see the appeal.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • bazooka
Sounds too good to be true to me. Being able to pick up items and not having to wait for the next man, just sounds like a scam. Every time I hear stuff like that, I'm thinking it's some type of exchange for a catch.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • bazooka
I actually visited the original store in Seattle back when it was just a proof of concept thing. The order was 100% correct, but I still worry about the possible ramifications for other businesses and consumers.

(19th April 2021, 3:40 PM)bazooka Wrote: I feel it can be the next best thing but could potentially be the next big scam if you don't always check receipts after you do a shop? Surely Amazon could add an item in maybe 1 in 30 customers to their bill, small enough so the customer maybe very rarely notice, and in turn could generate Amazon millions.

This is my main issue for consumers. I'll need to check the receipt every time I leave and that's a pain. If anyone noticed it would just be dubbed "an accident" with a refund.

Amazon in general has been growing so much that I believe it may need to be broken up into smaller companies. They're in retail, entertainment, server management, manufacturing, grocery delivery, and now grocery stores? And that's only off the top of my head. They've squashed competition from so many small businesses. I know they're looking to expand further into pharmaceuticals, and I'm sure that industry won't take kindly to Amazon stepping on their toes.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ, bazooka, Mia, Uptight 534
(20th April 2021, 2:14 PM)bls1999 Wrote: I actually visited the original store in Seattle back when it was just a proof of concept thing. The order was 100% correct, but I still worry about the possible ramifications for other businesses and consumers.

This is my main issue for consumers. I'll need to check the receipt every time I leave and that's a pain. If anyone noticed it would just be dubbed "an accident" with a refund.

Amazon in general has been growing so much that I believe it may need to be broken up into smaller companies. They're in retail, entertainment, server management, manufacturing, grocery delivery, and now grocery stores? And that's only off the top of my head. They've squashed competition from so many small businesses. I know they're looking to expand further into pharmaceuticals, and I'm sure that industry won't take kindly to Amazon stepping on their toes.
I cannot wait for the Amazon space program...

EDIT: Of course, Bezos has his own space program (Blue Origin).
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999
So here's what I've learned after reading info and watching the video on this 'Amazon Go Store' experience: the store is tracking all the items that you've placed into your cart, items returned to the store, and everything that leaves the store. All based on using the Amazon app to scan for entrance, then they bill you later once you're done.

Now here's my thorough analysis on this proof of concept: Pros- Interesting way to help diminish waiting time for buying items, no need to worry about the stressful situation of paying right away if you forgot your credit card which means your receipt will be billed eventually. Lastly, nothing has to be scanned; just grab and go!

Cons- Thieves can easily maneuver their way around this system by ripping the store off with someone else's information. If they're scanning their way in, first off, they could just hack into someone else's Amazon account (with a linked card) and start swiping items from the shelves. Yes, you are being tracked and reported (which in some cases can be a problem), but they can still disguise themselves.

So yeah, it looks like Amazon is in competition with the major grocery stores like Wal-Mart. It's like @Eternal said, "Amazon has a bunch of quirks to work out in their technology". We'll see what happens, soon.
(20th April 2021, 9:59 PM)Fam93 Wrote: Cons- Thieves can easily maneuver their way around this system by ripping the store off with someone else's information. If they're scanning their way in, first off, they could just hack into someone else's Amazon account (with a linked card) and start swiping items from the shelves. Yes, you are being tracked and reported (which in some cases can be a problem), but they can still disguise themselves.

If you've hacked into someone's Amazon account that has a linked card you could just start buying gift cards on the site to immediately redeem, hacked account's aren't something that'd be uniquely a problem to these stores
(21st April 2021, 1:44 AM)David Wrote: Hacked account's aren't something that'd be uniquely a problem to these stores

Maybe not to the stores, but to the people who are affected by the action. With this new technology, many people can easily be affected, which means they'll end up blaming the store.
(21st April 2021, 8:05 AM)Fam93 Wrote: Maybe not to the stores, but to the people who are affected by the action. With this new technology, many people can easily be affected, which means they'll end up blaming the store.

So you mean the store could be hacked which would allow access to a bunch of accounts (as in everyone who walks in)? Not a network security expert but I suppose that's something to consider
(21st April 2021, 1:39 PM)David Wrote: So you mean the store could be hacked which would allow access to a bunch of accounts (as in everyone who walks in)? Not a network security expert but I suppose that's something to consider

It's possible, yes. As long as you are using the Amazon app to scan your way in, you could potentially become exposed to any hacker threats trying to steal your information because the store, stores your information for billing. But I would imagine that Amazon is on top of this stuff, so their network security has probably already found a solution for this.

"Scan and go"... It's too easy, bro.
I prefer the self-scan areas than either this or staffed tills
á
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • bazooka, Different