The Dash
The Dash vs Dr. Cerebrum
-Quest of the Hats-
The Dash
A racer turned superhero after getting struck by lightning as a teen. After that fateful night The Dash had a newfound power of dashing ahead of his opponents in races.
[Image: RT7EACj.png]

Dr. Cerebrum
The mad scientist Dr. Cerebrum, known for his scientific breakthrough of giving ordinary hats powers. However he went a step too far when he stole The Dash's superpower and infused it into a hat.
[Image: AXbPofH.png]

Hat minion
Dr. Cerebrum's henchmen, they carry around the hats the doctor has made. If you crush them your hat gets replaced by the hat they were carrying.
[Image: bwlc7MV.png]

Spike Block
Spike blocks were designed by Dr. Cerebrum to protect his laboratory. They temporarily stun the player that touches them. Spikes regenerate after X seconds, spikes are a permanent hazard in maps.
[Image: 9h6mzaL.png]

Sombrero hat
Dr. Cerebrum has stolen the powers of The Dash and infused it into a hat. By pressing the ctrl button this hat allows you to dash in the direction your facing giving you a slight edge in races. This power has a cooldown of X seconds before it can be used again.
[Image: jA5xrNO.png]
[Image: 4zxQwaV.gif]

Paperboat hat
This hat has the power to let you swim faster in water.
[Image: JXli7tE.png]

Witch hat
Wicked witchery allows you to double jump, but at the cost of the second jump being weaker than the first jump.
[Image: DpeWUty.png]

Jester hat
If picked up by opponents this hat reverses their controls causing chaos and confusion.
[Image: rfYGusJ.png]

Pirate hat
Pirate hat not only lets you swing a sword in front of and behind you but it also increases the distance of your swing.
[Image: fZ5sTUQ.png]

Fedora hat
This mysterious hat renders other hats useless as it strips them of their powers when you join a race.
[Image: izNo7S3.png]
[Image: 7yFzNKY.png]
Updated the thread haha, I have way too much free time
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to ~JBG~ For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77
I like Dr. Cerebrum and The Dash
I'd love some feedback on this, if anyone has any other ideas that might fit feel free to post them.
(3rd June 2021, 7:50 PM)~JBG~ Wrote: I'd love some feedback on this, if anyone has any other ideas that might fit feel free to post them.

The hats look nice, but the superpowers are a little too generic. You gotta come up with something that's out of the ordinary. Maybe the hat will effect some blocks, instead? That's a start.
this is sick, good stuff ma man
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to ExplosionZ For This Useful Post:
  • ~JBG~
The Dash and Dr. Cerebum [Image: RT7EACj.png] [Image: AXbPofH.png]
I love the look of these characters. It would be awesome if the capes reacted to your movements, but it's still cool if it doesn't.

Hat Minion [Image: bwlc7MV.png]
Hat minions could definitely make solo gameplay more fun. Some interesting levels could be made where you need a different hat for different parts of the levels. These are way better than Alien Eggs in my opinion since all Alien Eggs do is shoot and annoy you.

Spike Block [Image: 9h6mzaL.png]
I like the idea of this. It brings something similar to PR3's Impervious Mines to PR2. It looks a bit too similar to Mines in my opinion, and might be mistaken for one if you're moving very quickly. 

Sombrero Hat [Image: jA5xrNO.png]
A very cool idea, but might be a little overpowered. The Jump Start Hat, which also gives a speed advantage, is only beneficial to its wearer for a short moment at the start of the race. Maybe the Sombrero Hat can have limited dashes to prevent it from being too powerful.

Paperboat Hat [Image: JXli7tE.png]
Nice. This could be a fun hat to wear if the effect stacks.

Witch Hat [Image: DpeWUty.png]
Double jumping doesn't sound like a bad idea. An idea I had was for it to cause nearby players' hats to fall off, similar to how the Jellyfish Hat works, but without stunning the players. I'm not sure how useful this would be though, since no one races anymore, and the lag makes it hard to judge other players' exact position.
There were some more ideas for the Witch Hat in this thread.

Jester Hat [Image: rfYGusJ.png]
Not sure about this one. I don't like the idea of having a hat that no one wants to pick up in a race. Once the hat gets shot off, people would just leave it behind and that would be the end of it. Also, in most levels, it takes more skill to steal a player's hat than it does to avoid it, so I don't think this will add much to the gameplay.

Pirate Hat [Image: fZ5sTUQ.png]
This definitely makes the Sword a more useful weapon.

Fedora Hat [Image: izNo7S3.png]
Cool idea. I'm guessing someone needs to be wearing the hat for its ability to take effect. Maybe the other hats can remain powerless unless the wearer also has the Fedora Hat on.

And finally, the artwork is amazing. It really fits with PR2's art style. Someone should hire you to be the dedicated designer for PR2. Smile
[Image: q2GRKUL.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Raiden For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, ~JBG~
(4th June 2021, 7:06 AM)Master Raiden Wrote: The Dash and Dr. Cerebum [Image: RT7EACj.png] [Image: AXbPofH.png]
I love the look of these characters. It would be awesome if the capes reacted to your movements, but it's still cool if it doesn't.

Thanks! I thought about the possibility of animating the capes but I'm very inexperienced when it comes to animating. Perhaps it's something I should look into.

Quote:Spike Block [Image: 9h6mzaL.png]
I like the idea of this. It brings something similar to PR3's Impervious Mines to PR2. It looks a bit too similar to Mines in my opinion, and might be mistaken for one if you're moving very quickly. 

Hmm I see what you mean since it's after all inspired by the mine. But I did make the tint? of it a bit colder than the mines which I thought might help with the identification. 
 [Image: W1jf4j1.png]

Quote:Sombrero Hat [Image: jA5xrNO.png]
A very cool idea, but might be a little overpowered. The Jump Start Hat, which also gives a speed advantage, is only beneficial to its wearer for a short moment at the start of the race. Maybe the Sombrero Hat can have limited dashes to prevent it from being too powerful.

I like this idea.

Quote:Jester Hat [Image: rfYGusJ.png]
Not sure about this one. I don't like the idea of having a hat that no one wants to pick up in a race. Once the hat gets shot off, people would just leave it behind and that would be the end of it. Also, in most levels, it takes more skill to steal a player's hat than it does to avoid it, so I don't think this will add much to the gameplay.

Yeah this is my least favorite power of the hats tbh. I just had a hard time figuring out something that fit the theme of the hat. I'm open to hear any cool ideas for it though. I know Adulock77 had the idea of it slowing down other players near you. 

Quote:Fedora Hat [Image: izNo7S3.png]
Cool idea. I'm guessing someone needs to be wearing the hat for its ability to take effect. Maybe the other hats can remain powerless unless the wearer also has the Fedora Hat on.

Yeah that'd be cool, would give you a good reason to get the hat off of another player.

Quote:And finally, the artwork is amazing. It really fits with PR2's art style. Someone should hire you to be the dedicated designer for PR2. Smile

Thanks for the kind words Smile
  • Adulock77
These ideas are crazy good man, and very well drawn - Hope to see some of these in the game
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tejs For This Useful Post:
  • Addy, Adulock77, ~JBG~
the pirate hat defantally could be useful! i have made a pirate theme idea for pr2 last year to search for the pirate parts and the pirate hat could be in that for sure!

[Image: Xr7i3qs.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:
  • ~JBG~
(6th June 2021, 11:31 AM)Addy Wrote: the pirate hat defantally could be useful! i have made a pirate theme idea for pr2 last year to search for the pirate parts and the pirate hat could be in that for sure!
Oh cool, so it’s an idea for a scavenger hunt? Or more of a challenge thing?
(6th June 2021, 3:36 PM)~JBG~ Wrote: Oh cool, so it’s an idea for a scavenger hunt? Or more of a challenge thing?

kinda like how the jellyfish hat was implemented, a challenging pirate-themed level that holds the pirate hat. and the pirate set would be like how the slender set is on a pirate-themed level
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:
  • ~JBG~
if the fedora had a feather on it, id rock it
It'd be a miracle if at least some, if not all of these sets were implemented into the game. I hope you're up for the challenge @bls1999.
Shameless bump Smile
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~JBG~ For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Camer the Dragon, Stunt
(25th August 2021, 5:52 PM)~JBG~ Wrote: Shameless bump Smile
wow time flies when flies
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~JBG~ For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, Stunt, Stxtics
Why am I just now seeing this thread???

Really cool ideas in here, especially the dash concept! It really reminds me of Celeste (which I love). Love the artwork!
Dangevin
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Dangevin For This Useful Post:
  • ~JBG~
(10th February 2023, 9:21 PM)Dangevin Wrote: Why am I just now seeing this thread???

Really cool ideas in here, especially the dash concept! It really reminds me of Celeste (which I love). Love the artwork!
Celeste is such a good game! It really perfected the dash mechanics
  • Dangevin
Necrobump 😎
  • Lego-man945
get this added asap as possible
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExplosionZ For This Useful Post:
  • Eternal, Lego-man945, Magniloquent, oxy, ~JBG~