Platform Racing clone game dev
My blog post was kinda confusing so maybe I'll just make a thread about it.

I'm making a Platform Racing clone in C with SDL as a programming exercise; no Unity/Unreal/Godot here.

Here's a screenshot.

[Image: ulWguTQ.png]

All the source code can be found on my own instance of Gitea or on GitHub. It only works on GNU/Linux right now but I will make a Windows version when I get all the big features down.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, Camer the Dragon, Dangevin, Overbeing, ~JBG~
All these blocks look amazing!! O__O
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Adulock77 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
https://store.steampowered.com/app/13981...Editcraft/

this game apparently steals a bunch of things from pr2.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, Northadox, Ranko Danko
(18th September 2021, 8:43 PM)Addy Wrote: https://store.steampowered.com/app/13981...Editcraft/

I wouldn't say 'steal", no game mechanic can ever be taken away because something else uses it, but even then this is a pretty blatant copy of Platform Racing. One of those head parts looks straight outta PR2!

I intend this clone to be not just free as in price, but also as free/libre software for everyone's use. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, though.
(18th September 2021, 8:43 PM)Addy Wrote: https://store.steampowered.com/app/13981...Editcraft/

WHAAAT!? that's literally PR2!? :O how come i never seen that? the first head like Northadox said at the beginning of the video it's literally the Downer Head!

Maybe it's inspired by PR2? it came out last year... hmmm...
  • Northadox
like wtf 

[Image: jfobE06.png]
[Image: auqfnsq.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
(18th September 2021, 9:27 PM)Addy Wrote: like wtf 
-pics-

valid case for copyright infringement here BUT that's jiggmin's (ktost's?) domain PLUS I'm one to believe that copyright is cringe anyways
kudos to this mad lad tho
(18th September 2021, 9:57 PM)Northadox Wrote: kudos to this mad lad tho
amazed someone actually bothered, and the game is fairly recent too
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Ranko Danko For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
(18th September 2021, 9:27 PM)Addy Wrote: like wtf 

[Image: jfobE06.png]
[Image: auqfnsq.png]

OH BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? ...it doesn't have the arrows on the Speed, Jump, and Agility.
...Bad game 0/10 ...Illegal
  • Northadox
ey nice
I was gonna do something like this in Javascript (since I don't know anything else lol)

(18th September 2021, 9:27 PM)Addy Wrote: -snip-
it has hands mega cursed
á
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, Northadox

Just got this game because it looked funny and was immediately greeted with the scariest menu music I've ever heard

This game is awesome best 99 cents I've ever spent
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to tadtad For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
This is the best Platform racing copy although that may be biased because I made it.
https://www.roblox.com/games/922313771/P...evelopment
[Image: sigimage.php?u=714605&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC][Image: sigimage.php?u=735689&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Stxtics For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
As much of a C maximalist as i can be, why C for a game? C++ makes more sense purely for the abstraction you'll need.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Rei For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
(25th September 2021, 7:51 PM)Rei Wrote: As much of a C maximalist as i can be, why C for a game? C++ makes more sense purely for the abstraction you'll need.

I'd say something like "OOP is a meme and C++ is BLOATED and HARMFUL" but I'm not experienced enough as a programmer to make these sorts of judgements
C just werks for purposes and I'm more familiar with it so I'll stick with it
If it worked for games like Doom surely it can work for my PR2 ripoff Smile
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Kribbles
isn't C# used more for games (in the C family)
á
(26th September 2021, 8:22 AM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: isn't C# used more for games (in the C family)

I've used C# before yes but it's more like Java rather than C/C++ and it's very much attached to the Microsoft .NET environment and tends to be less performant. It's used in most game engines as it's a pretty syntactically simple language that handles things most new programmers may struggle with (w/ garbage collection and memory management)
Now if I was a more experienced programmer I'd say C# is BLOAT and HARMFUL but I'm not one, just know that I like using C over other languages Smile
  • Camer the Dragon
ah
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
I like C++ mainly for its abstraction. like inheritance/virtual functions. makes life easy when you have multiple objects you want to create a list of and you just have them share a base class. you can make basic "objects" in C with structs but it could get messy fast.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Rei For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
https://files.catbox.moe/yo3ogs.mp4

Some developments, although not too much.
I added lots more spaghetti code to things like movement and collision because I'm a good programmer, but trust me, it works slightly more than it did before.
Mines now "explode", disabling the racer for a bit (with a simple color-changing visual effect). I was working on vanish blocks too but maybe later.
Happy/sad blocks also exist but don't work as intended because I still haven't set it so that things like your jump, speed, acceleration vary based on your stats yet. Well, ish, but not fully. Will give them nicer graphics later.
Nets and ice are functional, and the mechanics surronding block safety are pretty much in.

And the blocks are purple/pink because I'm also working on a new feature: changing the hue of blocks! This will be a nice customization feature. It's a nice balance between totally custom blocks of PR3 and the more rigid blocks of PR2, so blocks are still identifiable, but you can personalize more. Well technically PR2 has it with teleport blocks but it makes sense to extend it to all blocks methinks.

Once I get the basic slew of blocks in I'll work more on collision, game-feel and aesthetic touch-ups.
  • oxy
https://files.catbox.moe/kd3dep.mp4

More blocks and polish~
Crumble blocks need to not just let you slam against them to break them, and mines need to send you flying...but everything else mostly works.
I was working on the Rotate Blocks but they were hella broken.
That was just my program segfaulting at the end and not something else. I don't know why it does that, but it works sometimes, trust me