Platform Racing clone game dev
(17th March 2022, 2:46 AM)Delphinoid Wrote: No one should ever target Mac, imho...

based 
ideally nobody would be targetting windows too but that's in a perfect world

(17th March 2022, 11:58 AM)Different Wrote: I'm guessing you're a Windows user; it was pretty obvious from your statements. Before I go any further, let's just say that Apple has better security than Windows...

cringe + install gentoo + @Hahli144 was able to compile it on a Mac M1 so maybe

Anyways check this cool minimap out:

[Image: P8EAoF0.png]

Would people want the minimap to be more detailed and have color like PR3's or just be a simple 1-bit bitmap as it was in PR2?
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Delphinoid, Different
(17th March 2022, 3:22 PM)Northadox Wrote: Anyways check this cool minimap out:

[Image: P8EAoF0.png]

Would people want the minimap to be more detailed and have color like PR3's or just be a simple 1-bit bitmap as it was in PR2?

I think having more detailed color like PR3, would help it stand out a bit more and differentiate it from a simple 1-bitmap. Pr2 just has so many flaws and unpolished edges in block and color development.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
(17th March 2022, 3:22 PM)Northadox Wrote: Would people want the minimap to be more detailed and have color like PR3's or just be a simple 1-bit bitmap as it was in PR2?

I would personally prefer a more colored minimap, since those give a more detailed idea of what the level is like and doesn't have the problem of blocks like water or vanish blocks being colored solid black like everything else.
i failed the mario twitter challenge
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to ThePizzaEater1000 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
(17th March 2022, 8:41 PM)Delphinoid Wrote: ...
As someone thats both very critical of how bad the UX is for most GNU/FOSS shit, and also too stubborn to change my workflow from my normal windows workflow, i'd recommend trying Linux mint.. when im forced to switch, ill be going to mint.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rei For This Useful Post:
  • Delphinoid, Northadox
(18th September 2021, 8:43 PM)Addy Wrote: https://store.steampowered.com/app/13981...Editcraft/

this game apparently steals a bunch of things from pr2.
After actually getting this game (for the purposes of Funny), it's actually kinda cool in some areas but also has some serious flaws.

cool stuff: Level editor lets you make arrows, which redirects "touches" from one block to another, so for example, if an arrow from the top of a regular block goes to the left side of a push block, standing on the top of the regular block pushes the push block right, even if you made no direct contact. Also, it has custom blocks.

uncool stuff: The custom blocks don't work. Even worse though, the physics are not fixed-rate, it'll just be whatever framerate it wants. The only frame limiter is V-Sync, which you need to have on, or it'll attempt to use all of your system resources. This also creates a problem with arrows: the redirected touches execute a frame later, which creates noticeable desync between different framerates in particular circumstances. Also the whole asset stealing thing, and also that push blocks can't push into other blocks to send "touches" to them (this is a problem because it makes building a turing machine more difficult)
i failed the mario twitter challenge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePizzaEater1000 For This Useful Post:
  • Addy, Delphinoid
anyways as an aside this is probably going to be on hiatus till I round out my skills more as a developer/artist/etc. the passion has faded a little bit but the idea continues to loom in my head.

as an offering of peace, I invite you to check out this guy's work on reimplementing PR2 in a modern C++-written engine. someone get him to chronicle his work here too!

[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon