Poll: Are you a Competitive Person?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes. I'm very Competitive. I don't like to lose!
20.00%
1 20.00%
No. I could care less whether I'm #1 or not.
40.00%
2 40.00%
Yes & No. It bothers me to lose, but at the same time, I don't care because I'm learning how to improve my game.
40.00%
2 40.00%
Only when someone better than me, shows up and takes everything that I worked hard for!
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Competition
Have you ever felt like you were so good at something, until that one man comes along and robs you of all your hopes and dreams of being #1? Ask yourself, when's the last time you've ever thought you were so good at something, you thought you were Invictus... nobody could touch you because you were the man!

Well, there's always that one guy who will show you that what you're doing doesn't mean a damn thing in reality, and he's much different than you, doing what you did only ten times better. I'll give you an example: Let's say you're really good at first-person shooter games like "DOOM Eternal", "Call of Duty", or even "Gran Theft Auto".

Hell, you might even be the highest ranking person on an "Assassin's Creed Leaderboard". But then eventually, you find yourself caught in one of those days where someone completely better than you, shows up and shuts down everything you've worked hard for, just to show you that you can do better than that sh*t.

In reality, it's quite embarrassing because he just made an ass-clown out of you, and now you feel like you're having one of those off days again, where you forgot how to play what it is that you're really good at. Now this can be directed towards anything, no matter what it is. In retrospect, that person is teaching you a lesson that you can be better at what you're doing.

At first, you were uncomfortable climbing your way to the top of the mountain, when it comes to making progress at what you're doing. Then when you become #1, you start to become very comfortable and Invictus because no one has shown you that you can be better; you can be DIFFERENT.

The only reason you're using the same winning tactics over and over again is because everyone else is oblivious as to how you're winning all the time, and no one has knocked you off your ass yet. Until that one man shows up and makes an ass-clown out of you.

Why have I decided to make this thread? Well, it's just something that came to mind, and I happened to be in competition with someone, based on making better music than the other person.

So tell me this people: have you ever felt like you were really good at something until that one person showed up and made you look ridiculous, beating you at everything... Or are you just that damn good that you cannot be beaten? Let me know in the poll or comment below.
I mean if you were #1 at some point then that alone is an achievement that is good to have, otherwise you're constantly grinding, grinding for a leaderboard spot sapping all your time. Once you've made it to #1 then you will forever have that as something you have done, the longer you were #1 probably the better however nothing lasts forever.

Being #2 in something with a lot of ppl isn't being made an ass-clown out of it's just the probable likely thing to happen at some point, even Usain Bolt was beaten in the 200m in his last races, but that doesn't take away from how he was by far the #1 in his prime.

For the general "you thought you were one of the best until someone higher ranking shows you what's up", this has gotta be taken against the general pool of people and what percentile you're in, if you're in the top 0.1% of a game with 1,000,000 players then there's still possibly about 1,000 people better than you, but don't let that make you forget the 999,000 you're better than yourself.

In terms of tactics becoming stale and someone beating you due to their new tactics, it may be unfortunate that you lost but at least you've learnt something new for the future and if you want to continue to become better at the thing then you can use the newly gained knowledge to help you get even better than before.
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Different
(18th October 2021, 3:34 PM)Different Wrote: Or are you just that damn good that you cannot be beaten? 
Quite the opposite... I am just that damn mediocre that I am always beaten.
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • Different
I always aim for the 50th percentile for performance when I'm at work.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Legend For This Useful Post:
  • Different
nah, im chillin

tho i have never met anyone who plays the guitar or piano better than i do, i dont go out of my way to be the best at it
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to JEEJAYEM For This Useful Post:
  • Different
Only when it comes to spamming.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Different
(18th October 2021, 4:57 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: Being #2 in something with a lot of ppl isn't being made an ass-clown out of it's just the probable likely thing to happen at some point, even Usain Bolt was beaten in the 200m in his last races, but that doesn't take away from how he was by far the #1 in his prime.

Interesting comment. I guess it depends on how people deal with losing or maybe it's the amount of circumstances that they set for themselves. Also yeah, you're right. Just because he was beaten in his last races, still makes him #1 in reality because he held that spot in his prime.

(18th October 2021, 4:57 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: For the general "you thought you were one of the best until someone higher ranking shows you what's up", this has gotta be taken against the general pool of people and what percentile you're in, if you're in the top 0.1% of a game with 1,000,000 players then there's still possibly about 1,000 people better than you, but don't let that make you forget the 999,000 you're better than yourself.

Oh yeah, there's always those who are still better than you are. It's interesting how you mentioned the top 0.1% of being the best in the game, even though there are those who are a part of that same percentile.

(18th October 2021, 4:57 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: In terms of tactics becoming stale and someone beating you due to their new tactics, it may be unfortunate that you lost but at least you've learnt something new for the future and if you want to continue to become better at the thing then you can use the newly gained knowledge to help you get even better than before.

Exactly. Well said.

(18th October 2021, 7:36 PM)Delphinoid Wrote: Skill levels don't belong to a strict totally ordered set. In games, for instance, it's very common to have situations where player A beats player B, player B beats player C and player C beats player A, even at the top level. Losing to someone doesn't invalidate any of the achievements that you've earned. The whole idea of being "the one and only best" is an utterly ridiculous and childish way of looking at it, to be completely honest. Unfortunately, I think being really good at something competitive does sort of force you to adopt this awful, binary perspective that you have, along with a massive ego (or more often some kind of insecurity), to keep pushing you forward, often at the cost of your mental health.

You've got a point, here. Skill sets shouldn't be invalidated after getting defeated by another competitor because you can still come back with a vengeance and destroy them, using what you've learned. Also yes, when you're #1 at something, depending on how you handle it, you just may develop a massive ego to remain the best, even though there might be consequences.

(18th October 2021, 7:36 PM)Delphinoid Wrote: Being in that kind of environment and playing against people who only want to bring you down and be better than you brings out the worst in you, and it's easy to end up investing all of your self-worth into something meaningless. I've talked to so many people with this same experience too: ultra competitive environments were everyone has to be better or worse than everyone else are breeding grounds for awful behaviour.

I see a lot of this aggressive behavior into games like football, basketball, boxing, etc. At that point, you just need to decide if it's even worth your time, dealing with those kind of people because when they see something that they want, they're coming with that negative energy, hoping that you'll forfeit and allow them to become the best. No one's offering a helping hand and they're willing to cheat their way to the top, if they feel like they have to.

(18th October 2021, 7:36 PM)Delphinoid Wrote: I disagree with this thread's premise and don't really understand the point of it to begin with, rip

No problem. Everyone has their opinions and perspectives that they'd like to get across the board, regardless of whether they agree or disagree. The point of this thread was to see if any of you have ever been in that situation before, where you find yourself developing a massive ego after dominating everyone else in something, and have been the absolute best for a long time.