Pr2 News Flash!
Lightbulb 
Yo! If you're like me and you're tired of stomaching the same, tedious layouts in Pr2, then you've come to the right place! First off, let me just say that what you are about to see, isn't exactly artistic... it's creative and perhaps, unfathomable. It considers things that should have happened a long time ago.

I'm sure you've heard of reinventing the wheel, right? Well that's exactly what this is going to do. You see, I'm going to fill in some areas that you don't see, and then make them stand out like a shooting star. What will I bring to the table? Well, ever wonder whether that useless Artifact hat should be re-modified or not? If you said 'yes', then you're on the same page as me.

You're going to see new ideas and changes to the PR2 screen, new features, new sound design ideas, and NEW Artifact hat abilities. If you have the Artifact Hat right now, then you must feel like a jackass, letting it sit in your possession. All it does is give you a 30sec speed boost, only to have the damn controls run you backwards and quit the race. Dumb, right?! Most people put that damn thing in the trash tier, at the bottom of the ranks.

Even though I can't draw, these are just ideas, so don't beat me up on them. WARNING: for those of you who are nostalgic pr2 lovers, this may hurt your feelings a little bit. Every game needs a change, and this one is long over do for what I have in store. In my honest opinion, this is going to save the game from being DEAD.

Well, stay tuned because things are about to get interesting. I'm going to split this idea up into 3 projects (which will equal 1 thread per project) because I don't want to spoil the entire thing. I'm working on it as we speak, so stay tuned!
changing something that only the elites have isn't going to save a dying game. sad but true.
[Image: LLwQFov.png]
(10th February 2022, 4:37 AM)Mystery Wrote: Give it a Steam or Switch digital release. That's about the only way I see it gaining any significant players.

That sounds like a job for @bls1999. But I doubt he'll do it. Would be nice, though. Then we could switch the PG rating to TV-14 or something like that. This would be like blood graphics, every time someone gets hit.
(10th February 2022, 4:39 AM)Different Wrote: That sounds like a job for @bls1999. But I doubt he'll do it. Would be nice, though. Then we could switch the PG rating to TV-14 or something like that. This would be like blood graphics, every time someone gets hit.

Since I don't own the IP, it's not my call. PR2's vault would also probably clash with Steam's in-game purchases TOS.

At any rate, even if it was possible, Jiggmin has made it clear PR2 will not be going on Steam.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
I really don't see Steam as the answer anyway, it'd help some sure but at the end of the day PR2 is from an old era and not something new players can really get into without significantly changing the game. The best hope right now is Platform Racing 4/Platform Racing Forever and it'll need to have some fundamental differences such as progression

That's just my thoughts anyway, I could be wrong
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Magniloquent
(10th February 2022, 8:27 PM)Mystery Wrote: I mean, it worked for ShellShock Live, Transformice, and Realm of the Mad God. Those were all old flash-esque games ported to Steam, and they gained a new following. Of course it doesn't matter anyway because of what bls1999 said.

I didn't mean to imply it can't do well because it's old, I meant to say some of it's systems such as progression really don't work today but weren't much of a concern back then. And to elaborate on what I mean about progression, it boils down to the weird EXP system and higher ranks having huge advantages due to much higher stats. Obviously in games the higher level you get the better spec'd you are, but in a multiplayer racing game like this it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me

I don't know exactly what the answer would be, and I'm not saying to remove ranks or remove all advantage with being a higher rank, but I think there would need to be some changes. But like I said maybe I'm wrong and the progression is fine and it could do quite well mostly as is if it were released on Steam
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Magniloquent
who cares if artifact is good having it makes the hat number go up by one
i failed the mario twitter challenge
(10th February 2022, 4:44 PM)bls1999 Wrote: Since I don't own the IP, it's not my call. PR2's vault would also probably clash with Steam's in-game purchases TOS.

At any rate, even if it was possible, Jiggmin has made it clear PR2 will not be going on Steam.

You'd prob have to have it so that only Jigg Coins bought via Steam could be used on Steam (in terms of TOS)
but basically Jiggmin has last word ye
á
(10th February 2022, 4:44 PM)bls1999 Wrote: Since I don't own the IP, it's not my call. PR2's vault would also probably clash with Steam's in-game purchases TOS.

You should buy the rights off @Jiggmin for the IP, since he's very inactive.
(12th February 2022, 6:42 PM)Different Wrote: You should buy the rights off @Jiggmin for the IP, since he's very inactive.

Even if Jiggmin was willing to sell (which I'm sure he's not), I don't want the IP. It's not my game. It wouldn't feel right. Plus, I would then incur all costs relating to upkeep of PR2 Hub (which Jiggmin currently handles). Not to mention the backlash I'd probably get. Me owning the IP is not the answer.

The reality is that PR2 is nearing its 14(!!) year anniversary. It has been in legacy support for nearly 7. Most games (especially flash games) would be lucky to have less than a quarter of the lifespan PR2 has had. It simply doesn't have the excitement and allure it had in 2008 for people just joining. I will continue to work on PR2 as long as I'm able, but we have to keep in mind that its life has been extended well past what anyone expected.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Camer the Dragon, Eternal, Lego-man945, Magniloquent, Northadox, tadtad
(14th February 2022, 2:59 PM)bls1999 Wrote: Even if Jiggmin was willing to sell (which I'm sure he's not), I don't want the IP. It's not my game. It wouldn't feel right. Plus, I would then incur all costs relating to upkeep of PR2 Hub (which Jiggmin currently handles). Not to mention the backlash I'd probably get. Me owning the IP is not the answer.

The reality is that PR2 is nearing its 14(!!) year anniversary. It has been in legacy support for nearly 7. Most games (especially flash games) would be lucky to have less than a quarter of the lifespan PR2 has had. It simply doesn't have the excitement and allure it had in 2008 for people just joining. I will continue to work on PR2 as long as I'm able, but we have to keep in mind that its life has been extended well past what anyone expected.

I couldn’t agree with this more.
(12th February 2022, 6:42 PM)Different Wrote: You should buy the rights off @Jiggmin for the IP, since he's very inactive.

To be clear, when people say "IP" or "intellectual property", they're typically referring to the copyright of a work, though they often confuse copyright with unrelated laws such as patents or trademarks. I personally recommend people not to use the term because it's incredibly misleading and biased in favor of those who exploit said laws for their benefit.

As a fun fact for you: at one point, "Platform Racing" was indeed a trademark, (I'm pretty sure Jiggmin was the one who registered it with a firm, anyways - it was filed around PR2's hayday). It's long expired, though.

Anyways, to be more relevant, the future of the PR series is just life support for the forseeable future. It's a crusty old Flash game who only still sees a tiny playercount from a group who likes to see numbers go up. "Jiggmin"  is an ancient, forgotten moniker of a happily married software developer named Jacob Grahn who has long moved past those silly internet video games. He toyed around in Godot and Phaser with Bubble Racing and his little demo of PRF to dig up old memories but clearly he doesn't have the time, energy or motivation to finish anything (which, to be fair, is a problem which we can all relate with).

As Jiggmin's (effectively) gone, and like bls says, he's probably unwilling to transfer the copyright of said works and unwilling to make its code and data free (dunno how that meshes with proprietary Flash code), the future of PR is up to YOU. Clearly, since we're all here, we all have in stake in keeping PR alive. If you want more PR, well, you're not getting it from Jiggmin, and bls1999 can only do so much by himself. If you can't wait for them, well, you'll just have to make it yourself.

which is what I'm doing. give me like six months I'll have something I promise
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Camer the Dragon, David, Different, Eternal, Lego-man945
(16th February 2022, 12:22 AM)Northadox Wrote: To be clear, when people say "IP" or "intellectual property", they're typically referring to the copyright of a work, though they often confuse copyright with unrelated laws such as patents or trademarks. I personally recommend people not to use the term because it's incredibly misleading and biased in favor of those who exploit said laws for their benefit.

As a fun fact for you: at one point, "Platform Racing" was indeed a trademark, (I'm pretty sure Jiggmin was the one who registered it with a firm, anyways - it was filed around PR2's hayday). It's long expired, though.

Anyways, to be more relevant, the future of the PR series is just life support for the forseeable future. It's a crusty old Flash game who only still sees a tiny playercount from a group who likes to see numbers go up. "Jiggmin"  is an ancient, forgotten moniker of a happily married software developer named Jacob Grahn who has long moved past those silly internet video games. He toyed around in Godot and Phaser with Bubble Racing and his little demo of PRF to dig up old memories but clearly he doesn't have the time, energy or motivation to finish anything (which, to be fair, is a problem which we can all relate with).

As Jiggmin's (effectively) gone, and like bls says, he's probably unwilling to transfer the copyright of said works and unwilling to make its code and data free (dunno how that meshes with proprietary Flash code), the future of PR is up to YOU. Clearly, since we're all here, we all have in stake in keeping PR alive. If you want more PR, well, you're not getting it from Jiggmin, and bls1999 can only do so much by himself. If you can't wait for them, well, you'll just have to make it yourself.

which is what I'm doing. give me like six months I'll have something I promise

<3 <3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eternal For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Northadox
(16th February 2022, 12:22 AM)Northadox Wrote: To be clear, when people say "IP" or "intellectual property", they're typically referring to the copyright of a work, though they often confuse copyright with unrelated laws such as patents or trademarks. I personally recommend people not to use the term because it's incredibly misleading and biased in favor of those who exploit said laws for their benefit.

Fun fact: I took a music business class, last month, where they were talking about Copyright laws, trademarks, patents, etc. So this is good to know. On the other hand, it really depends on how you use the term "IP". Otherwise, yes, it can be misleading at times.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox