Is Twitter full of hate speech?
I know this is definitely a stereotype, in my native language.
I think anything that revolves around "checking up" rather than "learning" or "discussing" is not beneficial. You can use Twitter, but if you're mindlessly watching people, it's not in any regards good. This is the same for Mastadon, Discord, YouTube, Facebook, 4chan, Tumblr, or _any_ social media site. The only site I've had zero problem with is Strava, since it only allows constructive showing off.

I find it's noticeable for any site where the scenario is:

1. Open site.
2. Scroll.
3. Nothing useful.
4. Exit.
5. Repeat in two hours.

I think non-discussions lead to flaming, trolling, shitposting, hate speech. Whatever you want to call it. I've never seen general-purpose sites work... it always leads to the lowest common denominator. Page three from https://www.gwern.net/docs/technology/20...tenemy.pdf is a good step to show that general-purpose communities just lose all identity. I definitely generalized this thread a bit more, but maybe it'll add some discussion.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kribbles For This Useful Post:
  • .....|::|::::|..., Delphinoid, Magniloquent, Mia
The definition of "hate speech" has been increasingly stretched out over time, so I'd say it's in the eye of the beholder. I'd avoid Twitter for entirely different reasons besides alleged hate speech.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • oxy
any words aren hate speech nowadas.

F***** f***** f***** means bundle of sticks but now I’m will get banned :c

edit;
But is t offensive if you are trying to be mean. So if I call you an bundle of sticks it’s not because u love men or because I’m trying to be racial. But rather, instead, rather; it’s about the intention not abuout the word. But aslo it depends becipse some ppl are sensitive little bundles of sticks

edit: I got an warnign for thei comment proving mine point
Yemlo and Co.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox, oxy
I think you're going to find this with any social media site where you can share opinions. Maybe less so on Facebook, cause it's harder to hide behind anonymity there. Anonymity on a popular website is breeding grounds for hate speech, or anything else offensive/negative.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
Eventually I find myself being intentionally offensive on Twitter.

edit. deleted my acc last night
(18th April 2022, 7:50 AM)Mystery Wrote: Anonymity on a popular website is breeding grounds for hate speech, or anything else offensive/negative.
I think the important part here is "on a popular website." I've found anonymity is nice on sites where it's not as large, like sushichan, lainchan and nanochan. When there's so many people, anonymity turns into a mob mentality. When it's a small site like jiggmin, we're not past Dunbar's number, and the site's going smoothly.

I think that's another interesting thought.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Kribbles For This Useful Post:
  • .....|::|::::|...
Twitter is full of mob mentality
á
elon should buy twitter so that dogecoin can take over the world
[Image: giphy.gif]
(21st April 2022, 12:56 PM)Vipa Wrote: elon should buy twitter so that dogecoin can take over the world
Wowl ur name is balck make men mod
Yemlo and Co.
(19th April 2022, 2:05 AM).....|::|::::|... Wrote: edit. deleted my acc last night
I had to create a Twitter account because I need one to view explicit images. And not even explicit, some artists tag their suggestive images as "explicit"... But I think following zero people is good.

If you want to leave Twitter, just deleting your account won't make it happen. I'd recommend reading this: https://kazuhisa.neocities.org/posts/blocking.html

You need to believe that Twitter is not beneficial. Setting up guardrails like setting twitter.com to 0.0.0.0 in /etc/hosts (or C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) is good to catch you from peeking a look, but you need to actively notice that it's not good.

Just FWIW, https://minutiae-app.org/ is an interesting concept for a social media app, where there is a curfew and you cannot use the app outside this moment the app is open. But it is complicated: it'd be better if it's got a curfew at a constant time, or the time is known beforehand. There are sites out there with this and I really enjoy them... It costs $15 to use, what the hell? This is stupid.
Twitter, like most social media, is just full of people who want to be heard and will say anything for attention.
[Insert something clever here]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCPD For This Useful Post:
  • .....|::|::::|..., Magniloquent
(30th April 2022, 8:19 PM)LCPD Wrote: Twitter, like most social media, is just full of people who want to be heard and will say anything for attention.

I used to try doing so; but seriously nobody cared for me; if I was not followed by anyone, or didn't have a name that can be recognized well.
Twitter is a weird one, I've never really warmed to it as a social media platform. I've always somehow come across some absolute racist malarkey, or videos of young men sleeping with old women way past their expiry date, and as of late I even saw a video of the latest Dubai Porta Potty stuff.
It's just full of absolute nonsense, the platform isn't even monitored properly compared to Facebook, Instagram etc. Twitter is just Twitter, it's always been one of the most confusing places to find traumatic videos that cause PTSD and I ain't living for it. Elon needs to sort that sh!t out. Realistically, who even uses Twitter though lol I can't remember the last time someone said to me "Did you see my Tweet?" FML it just ain't even practical anymore.
Discord - Mikasa.A.Cain #0705 Steam - IziCain
(30th April 2022, 10:04 PM).....|::|::::|... Wrote: I used to try doing so; but seriously nobody cared for me; if I was not followed by anyone, or didn't have a name that can be recognized well.

I just noticed if you jump on the bandwagon with a trending hashtag, like minded people will find your tweet.
[Insert something clever here]