Poll: Your Best friend’s got you in a rear naked chokehold, preparing to STAB you to death! What are you going to do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Attempt to get out of the choke hold! - His grip is pretty damn strong!
0%
0 0%
Elbow him in the stomach and run after the gun, 5 feet away from you! - He can take punishment!
0%
0 0%
Scream for help because there’s nothing you can do! - He’ll just laugh!
0%
0 0%
Pray he doesn’t kill you! - He’ll still laugh it off!
0%
0 0%
Attempt to get out of the choke hold and fight him! - Are you sure?
0%
0 0%
Tickle him until he releases you! - Good luck!
50.00%
2 50.00%
Apologize and tell him it’s your fault! - I’m not sure if he’ll listen to you.
0%
0 0%
Let him end your life because you have nothing else to live for! - Wow, you didn’t even attempt to put up a fight!
25.00%
1 25.00%
Spray him with the pepper spray that’s in your right pocket! - Be careful about this!
25.00%
1 25.00%
Kick him in the groin and run, calling for help! - You better hope he doesn’t get up!
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

THE SOCIOPATH!
One day, you get a phone call from an old high school buddy of your's, telling you that he can get you a 30% discount on the 'Horizon Forbidden West' game on PS5. You just received a two-weeks pay check for $2,500 from your career as a game developer at Sony Interactive Entertainment. Your buddy is a Sales Supervisor at Best Buy, who has a great relationship with the head employer there.

Horizon Forbidden West

His conversation with you over the phone, involves you confronting him at the store, so he can hook you up with some more of the best games of today, for another 30% discount on each game. You're a very busy person and you don't have time to drive 15 miles to his job; You have a wife and kids to think about. Your friend knows that, but he DEMANDS that you visit his store anyway because he claims that the deal is only valid for 24 hours.

You tell him to override the discount deal because you're a very busy person and you simply do not have time to get it right now. Your friend then LOSES HIS TEMPER, inadvertently slamming the phone on the hook. 5 Mins later, he calls you to apologize for his irrational behavior. Little do you know, he is JEALOUS of your success as a game developer, while he claims he's stuck as a Sales Supervisor at Best Buy.

The problem is that he simply will not let his jealously of your success, die in the past. 5 years ago, you and he applied for a job as a game developer at Sony Interactive Entertainment at the same time. They decided that you're the more qualified person for the job than he is. Ever since then, he's been FURIOUS with you since.

What's there to be jealous of?... He just so happens to be better looking than you, he's 6 foot 4 while you're 5 foot 8, he's physically superior to you, and he's more talented than you are in sports. The thing is, he's jealous of you because you're making more money than he is, you're more mentally stable, and he claims that you intentionally stole his dream career from him.

Now I bet you're thinking, why doesn't he move on and try looking for another job? It's because he has psychological problems and would rather solve his issues with VIOLENCE. He takes medication for his psychological problems, but if he does something out of the ordinary, it'll make you suspect something about him. You and he, made an allegiance back in High School, to never let anything (not even a career), destroy you guys' friendship.

Another problem is that you're unaware that your friend is a SOCIOPATH and would rather ruin your life to get what he wants. How are you unaware of this? It's because you only hung out with him every now and then. The only time you ever here from him nowadays is when he sees an opportunity to ruin your life.

Fast forward, you decide to drive by his job one day to check up on him and see how he's doing. You find him sleeping in a tent outside of Best Buy, asking people for spare change. Why is that? It's because he allowed his temper and psychological problems to get THE BEST of him, and let's just say that things got too far out of hand.

Normally, employers are required to provide reasonable accommodation for potential employees, only if they struggle with mental limitations and physical disabilities, if they are qualified for the job and that said employer is aware of the situation. Unfortunately, he NEVER DID report any signs of mental disabilities on his job application, so now he's screwed out of a job.

You make a huge mistake, being unaware of the situation and taking him under your wing, ALLOWING him to stay with you for a month until he gets back on his feet. He's eating up all your food, living rent free at your place, and increasing all your utility bills!

Lazy Person

You can't afford to feed a 6 foot 4, 260 pound man because you have a wife and 3 kids. A month goes by, and you tell him to 'get the hell out of your house' because he's too much for you to handle and won't look for a job! He takes it the wrong way and decides to seek out REVENGE on you!

YOU crossed the line!

He waits for you to drop the kids off to school, drive your wife to work, then waits for you to go to work. While you're at work, he catches the bus to your job, hot-wires your car, drives it to a parking lot across the street from you, and manages to remove the engine from your car. By the time you get off work, you notice your car is missing.

You panic and call 911. They then tell you that it's across the street from your job. You then call AAA to tow the car to your mechanic, then give you a lift home.

By the time you arrive home, you notice that someone has BROKEN INTO YOUR HOUSE through the window! The house is in a wreck and you call 911 on your house phone, but then you notice that your phone wires have been disconnected. Unfortunately, while you attempt to dial 911 on your cell phone, your reception mysteriously goes bad.

While you're standing there, panicking and trying to figure out what to do... he comes out of the closet, attacks you from behind, and begins to CHOKE you with his left arm, while he prepares to STAB you with a THICK, 15 inch kitchen knife in his right arm (which has BLOOD on it)! Obviously, he's off of his medication. He just got through MURDERING someone by STABBING them to death because they caught him breaking into your place!

Very quickly, you figure out what kind of friend you're dealing with. He outweighs you by 100 pounds and he's 6 inches taller than you! Your cell phone is smashed on the ground.

Btw, you don't have much of a choice, here. It was inevitable that you were going to fall in this situation. What are you going to do?

NOTE: I will be posting more of these because they're fun and keep you guys visiting and commenting. I'll let this one sit for a while, before I post anything else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • ExplosionZ, Matt, Mia
i have read books shorter than this
Yemlo and Co.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Northadox, Uptight 534
I'd grab the pepper spray that's in my pocket and spray him then go for the gun that's 5 feet away from me
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Different
(21st April 2022, 7:33 PM)Matt Wrote: i  have read books shorter than this

If every story you read of someone's, were really short, you might is well stop reading them because eventually it gets boring as hell to read. You're just one of those people who don't like to read long stories. Fine by me, but I'm not going to shorten them to appease a small minority of people; That'd be ridiculous.

My goal isn't to appease everyone... my goal is to create a damn good story.
(21st April 2022, 10:39 PM)Different Wrote: If every story you read of someone's, were really short, you might is well stop reading them because eventually it gets boring as hell to read. You're just one of those people who don't like to read long stories. Fine by me, but I'm not going to shorten them to appease a small minority of people; That'd be ridiculous.

My goal isn't to appease everyone... my goal is to create a damn good story.

tl;dr
Yemlo and Co.
Keep making these threads if you enjoy making them, and ignore the haters. You have a real knack for coming up with scenarios! Smile

(21st April 2022, 9:55 PM)David Wrote: I'd grab the pepper spray that's in my pocket and spray him then go for the gun that's 5 feet away from me

That's probably what I would do too, to get out of that situation. But just doing that won't solve the issue. I'd also try to convince him to seek help from a counselor. After all, he's my friend and I care about him. I feel bad that he's fallen on hard times, but I took him under my wing. And for him to attack me like that and take it out on me is just unacceptable. If I can improve his mental state, I would try to help him get off his feet and find a job of his own. Something that he's passionate about. If he's not sure what his passion is, I would try to help him figure that out too.

If he didn't feel comfortable talking to a counselor about it, I could talk to him myself. I don't want him to scare my kids, or traumatize them because of his actions. So I might try to help him find a place to live that is away from my family, for the sake of protecting them. But I would explain to him that just because I got the job and he didn't, doesn't mean that he can't achieve success in life. Success is finding accomplishment and purpose. You don't have to make a lot of money to achieve that! Can't really think of a good story for this one, but good thread though.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Different
(22nd April 2022, 11:17 AM)Mystery Wrote: Keep making these threads if you enjoy making them, and ignore the haters. You have a real knack for coming up with scenarios! Smile

I appreciate it, bro! Yeah it's very difficult to tell a damn good story, where the majority of people will reply, vote, and leave thanks, too. The reason my threads are so sadistic sometimes is because I think it just makes the story, interesting. Honestly, I have no idea what these people like out of a story.

It all depends on the audience, and these people aren't it. JV is just virtually, dead. They regurgitate the same shit, every week.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Delphinoid
(23rd April 2022, 12:50 AM)Delphinoid Wrote: To be fair the only reasons I have for checking this website are Northadox's PR clone thread and your threads rofl, so I think that must count for something. These threads are genuinely funny imo (and that's meant as a complement).

I guess I will say, though, that in their current form they're a little hard to reply in the intended way to. This is also partially why I referred to the last couple as being sadistic; i.e., you put the reader in a situation where they're totally helpless and just have to accept (usually awful) stuff happening to them, which isn't really engaging in the way that it looks like they're supposed to be. This thread almost has the same kind of "issue", where it concludes with your imminent death, but I guess it's subverted slightly based on the options in the poll. That being said, these threads are still fun to read, although mostly because of the sheer ridiculousness of the situations and the exaggerated writing style (large font, highlighting words, random stock photos, bizarrely specific details on irrelevant stuff like height / weight, etc.).

This is a bit of a random remark but something that I think would be cool to see in general (although I don't know if I'd be able to take part in it myself, rip) is one of those "choose your own adventure" threads that used to pop up occasionally on the original JV. The OP sets up some kind of open-ended scenario and acts as a sort of dungeon master for the people who reply. Actually since JV2 has such a small userbase, that kind of thing might be pretty manageable.

I appreciate that, bro! Means a lot! I try to keep JV alive and active the best I can because when I first got here 2 years ago, it was dead like it is now. The thing is, I make the threads sadistic because it grabs people's attention and it adds more suspense to the story. If I were to put the reader in a pleasant situation, then it would be very boring.

The exaggerated writing style is to immediately capture the reader's attention, perhaps sending goosebumps down their spine lol.

Tell me more about this "choose your own adventure" thread. I'm kind of curious 🤔
(22nd April 2022, 11:29 AM)Different Wrote: I appreciate it, bro! Yeah it's very difficult to tell a damn good story, where the majority of people will reply, vote, and leave thanks, too. The reason my threads are so sadistic sometimes is because I think it just makes the story, interesting. Honestly, I have no idea what these people like out of a story.

It all depends on the audience, and these people aren't it. JV is just virtually, dead. They regurgitate the same shit, every week.
it snnot trolling if sumo fifth doesn’t read or enjoy and has laughs at it
Yemlo and Co.
(24th April 2022, 12:09 AM)Delphinoid Wrote: If you've ever played old-school text-based adventure games, it's a bit like that. Maybe the best way to explain it would be with an example. Take this thread for instance; if it were me writing it, here's what I would have done.

First I have a bit of a nitpick: if you notice your house has been broken into, the last thing you should ever do is enter the house. If you can't call emergency services on your cell phone, you should ask a neighbour. As I result, I would have written it so it wasn't immediately obvious that the house was broken into (maybe they broke in through the back?). I also don't like how you're told how your friend is setting everything up towards the end. Anyway, I'd conclude the OP with something like this:

"By the time you return home, you're completely checked out. As you pull yourself through the entrance hall, you notice an unusually eerie silence encompassing you like a thick fog, but are too exhausted to pay it much mind. That is, until you open the door to your bedroom, at which point it suddenly culminates in a frightening realization: your house has been broken into. Your entire bedroom lies in disarray: your bedsheets have been carved up and are strewn across the floor, furniture has been toppled, and other various personal belongings are smashed and lying in pieces. You stand in the doorway, too stunned to move, with your heart sunken deep into your stomach. No sooner have you begun to ask yourself if the person responsible is still around than your thought is abruptly answered. Your bedroom closet swings open, and as a figure emerges you catch glimpse of a menacing kitchen knife in their hand, glimmering with fresh blood. Before you have time to wonder whose blood it is, the man begins to rush towards you."

I tried my best but I guess I wasn't able to think of a way to lead this story into something interesting, but the point is that you set it up in a way where the reader has lots of potential options that they can come up with on their own (not something I managed to do in this case). This would usually include describing the surroundings in more detail and what the reader has access to (pepper spray in their pocket, for instance).

When people respond, you can continue the story for them, taking their response into account. Ideally, it can develop into an interesting, interactive story.

Very interesting. I like the way you think, when it comes to writing these types of stories. In fact, you just gave me a great idea of how I should tell the story, next time. Also, you're right. Why tell the reader what's happening, when I can just keep some of those things out of plain sight, building up more suspense for them towards the end.

So basically, I think the next time I will be more descriptive on the reader's surroundings, but how they got there, won't be as obvious next time. I need to learn how to tell a better story like you and @Mystery does. The next post I come up with, will show a lot more improvement, this time.

But until then, it'll be after the post that I write, later on this week. That post will be something simple until I can come up with a far more, compelling and intricate story.
I'd much rather die thanks just kill me bro, it is what it is.
Discord - Mikasa.A.Cain #0705 Steam - IziCain
(26th April 2022, 8:41 AM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: I'd much rather die thanks just kill me bro, it is what it is.
No thaks ur the only one who Smile my poems
Yemlo and Co.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Matt For This Useful Post:
  • *Izi-Blissers*