[Suggestion] Forum reduction
I'm interested in reducing the number of forums we have (lots go unused); however, I'm not sure how to combine some of them. A pretty easy one is combining OS and Software with Hardware and Machines, but I'm stalling on the others. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon
I've got a couple of ideas: Combine Coding and Development with Video Games as they share some similarities. I figured if you're talking about a specific game, you might is well mention game design, too. As a future Audio Engineer, I plan on designing sounds for games, so it definitely makes sense to include Coding and development with video games.

Also, I would combine Platform Racing 2 with Jiggmin Games, since Jiggmin created Platform Racing 2. Just some suggestions.
Coding and Development, OS and Software, and Hardware and Machines could all be merged into one. That sounds like a PITA to complete with mybb, hopefully you don't have to deal with mysql to save everything.

Does Library of the Sages need to be its own? It could be merged into Multimedia Masterpieces too, into, say, "Workshop" where it's all the user-generated contents: tutorials, pictures, games, etc. The "historical" part is the only thing that isn't very similar.
(9th May 2022, 7:56 PM)Kribbles Wrote: Coding and Development, OS and Software, and Hardware and Machines could all be merged into one. That sounds like a PITA to complete with mybb, hopefully you don't have to deal with mysql to save everything.

Does Library of the Sages need to be its own? It could be merged into Multimedia Masterpieces too, into, say, "Workshop" where it's all the user-generated contents: tutorials, pictures, games, etc. The "historical" part is the only thing that isn't very similar.

So maybe like a Computers and Programming section as a combination of all three? That could work.

LotS could definitely be merged into Multimedia Masterpieces, although a new name may be needed since it wouldn't necessarily be that intuitive.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Kribbles
LotS could stay the same.

Maybe even remove the "Turing Machine" section and plop in computers & programming and f@h into the village central? I'll try to think of fun names for them, but I'm way too tired right now.
Here's a new forum outline for how I'd personally do it:
--- Mt. Olympus: forum meta stuff
-- Announcements
-- "Village Sanctuary"
-- Contact a Mod(?)
-- Forum Bugs
-- Forum Suggestions
-- Beta Tester's Club
-- Folding @ Home
--- Discussion Square: random discussion
-- Discussion Hall
-- Multimedia Masterpieces
-- "Turing Machines"
-- Folding @ Home
-- Blogs
--- Arcade: Jiggmin and non-Jiggmin video games
-- Platform Racing 2
- Main Discussion
- Bugs
- Suggestions
-- Platform Racing 3
-- Jiggmin Games
-- Video Games
-- Forum Games

"Village Sanctuary" is a merged Welcoming Gates/Library of the Sages. The important threads of LotS are just stickied here.
"Turning Machines" borrowing its name from the respective category, is just a consolidated Coding and Development, OS and Software, and Hardware and Machines.

I don't see much of a reason for Game Day exist given the forum's low traffic, just merge the threads into Discussion Hall.

PR2 Suggestions should be just folded into a subforum in Arcade rather than being in Mt. Olympus for whatever reason. Make a PR2 Bugs subforum because I imagine those make up the bulk of the posts in "Bugs and Suggestions".

Does Contact a Mod need to exist as is? Would there be a better way to just have contacting the mod team be separate from the forum? Not encouraging the use of Discord but I'm not sure if a subforum is the best way to do it but if not keep it there.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The only t hing we need is blogs adn the only bolgs we need are mine
Yemlo and Co.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Magniloquent
Mt. Olympus:
Welcoming Gates (Merge Welcoming Gates + Library of the Sages)
Announcements
Contact a Mod

Village Central:
Discussion Hall (Merge Discussion Hall + Game Day)
Multimedia Masterpieces
Village Games
Blogs
Forum Bugs + Suggestions

Arcade:
Platform Racing 2
Pr2 Bugs + Suggestions
Jiggmin Games
Jiggmin Games Bugs + Suggestions
Video Games

Turing Machines:
Folding at Home