Custom Minimap Colors
Title says it all; New minimap colors are nifty, but how about letting us pick custom colors from the entire color palette instead? Big Grin
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tejs For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ, Battlealvin2009, Camer the Dragon, ExplosionZ, Glitch Racer, Magniloquent, Panther
What a great idea from our community ambassador, Mr Tejs!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExplosionZ For This Useful Post:
  • Eternal, Tejs
It would be really cool if that color showed up for other players too

Adds a bit more player expression & ensures we'll see different colors rather than the same 4
Interesting idea
This is what I originally had in mind with my initial idea.

(19th February 2022, 11:21 PM)Mystery Wrote: Maybe even a way to choose what color you display as, or randomly generate a color for each player.

David brought up a good point against it.

(20th February 2022, 1:42 AM)David Wrote: Choosing your own color sounds interesting, but there'd have to be something in place that chooses a different color in the instance 2 players have the same color chosen

Now I honestly think it would be better to leave it how it is. Just have a set color for each player. Sure, customization would be fun. But what if everyone was using a different shade of blue?

One other thing we could add to this idea, is different shapes for each player. Some color blind people might not be able to tell the current colors apart.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Magniloquent
*sets mine to the color of the map*
They'll never see me coming...
[Image: LLwQFov.png]
(7th April 2022, 4:28 PM)Mystery Wrote: Now I honestly think it would be better to leave it how it is. Just have a set color for each player. Sure, customization would be fun. But what if everyone was using a different shade of blue?

I don't think this is an issue at all, I don't really see why it would be? For tournaments and such just ask players to use different colors entirely or preset colors for participants. For casual play, the main function of this feature is to see who a specific cube represents, which is only useful for teamwork related gamemodes, where you can just communicate with your teammates and agree to take different colors.

There's also going to be literal millions of hexcodes available, and if there's anything you see in games with a large variety of customizable features, it's that people definitely don't end up picking the same things. (You can see that with styles on PR2 already) We all like to have a unique identity.

Worst case scenario is that two players have the same color and it'll be one race like the PR2 you've played for 12 years that we all know and love anyway
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Tejs For This Useful Post:
  • Magniloquent
(8th April 2022, 5:08 PM)Tejs Wrote: I don't think this is an issue at all, I don't really see why it would be? For tournaments and such just ask players to use different colors entirely or preset colors for participants. For casual play, the main function of this feature is to see who a specific cube represents, which is only useful for teamwork related gamemodes, where you can just communicate with your teammates and agree to take different colors.

There's also going to be literal millions of hexcodes available, and if there's anything you see in games with a large variety of customizable features, it's that people definitely don't end up picking the same things. (You can see that with styles on PR2 already) We all like to have a unique identity.

Worst case scenario is that two players have the same color and it'll be one race like the PR2 you've played for 12 years that we all know and love anyway

I wasn't talking about tournaments, I was talking about casual racing. Isn't that what most of the races are? Most people that casually race aren't going to be coordinating their colors to make sure they're not too similar. It doesn't really need to be customized anyway. Just having the difference available makes it easy to tell who each player is anyway. I already have trouble telling colors apart sometimes and it would get really irritating to see four people all using slightly different shades of the same color. But hey, that's just my take.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
When implementing this feature, I tested a variety of different colors. The reason I chose the colors I did is that they're the most distinct from one another as possible. So as to keep consistency as well as accommodate players with color-blindness, I made the decision at the time to keep the colors static.

If this idea gets an overwhelming amount of support, I wouldn't have a problem changing it. If this is changed, a nice compromise might be to allow players to turn off the custom colors in the game options.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Mulley
Yeah I think having both would be good, especially if 2 people put the same colour
also if someone picks a colour near a default colour
á