In What Year did PR2 Begin to Decline, and Why?
(13th November 2019, 3:44 PM)Kwing Wrote: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore...racing%202

Maine really into their PR2
Huh
apparently in the UK PR2's popularity peaked in July 2009 which is when I joined lol

Looking from the graph (worldwide), 2009-2010 was the peak
makes sense since 2011 was when Jiggmin started adding many new things to try to keep the game alive
á
I wanna say after 2012 probably, really bad leadership in terms of mods and admins and the game becoming stale.
[Insert something clever here]
Mmmmm maybe around 2014??? However, the game is still going and pretty active, so I'd say we're still going pretty strong. And with this whole quarantine thing, I've noticed it's brought back a quite a few old members, so maybe they'll remain active after visiting.
(26th March 2020, 11:39 AM)Jae Wrote: Mmmmm maybe around 2014??? However, the game is still going and pretty active, so I'd say we're still going pretty strong. And with this whole quarantine thing, I've noticed it's brought back a quite a few old members, so maybe they'll remain active after visiting.

the quarantine is prob the main reason i'm back here lol. everyone seems to agree that it's around the same time frame (2014-15)  when the game died. i wasn't around much on jv for that time, but each time i had a nostalgia trip and tried to log in the servers were dead, so that's a killer.

(27th June 2018, 12:49 AM)Overbeing Wrote: ...There is a theoretical version of Platform Racing that would be a hit even now, just look at Mario Maker. The bones PR2 are built on are just too old...

looking forward to PR Forever. i love this style of game, logged back in for around 30mins and had a lot of fun messing in the levels/level editor like it was 2010. this game has the potential to breathe new life into this community
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to OldMarx For This Useful Post:
  • Janelle
(8th May 2018, 3:00 AM)gemj Wrote: I first noticed it in the Christmas periods of 2014 and 2015, less players were sticking around and then the infamous "RIP PR2 2008-2015" comments and chatter at the tail-end of 2015. I basically took a hiatus from everything except schooling in 2014 so this may have occurred prior but I know for sure this was BIG on Kong in 2015/early 2016, you'd see Kong accounts like Bankzy, Metalgrimm, Scoze, Omega (regulars in chat) and also others from PR2 itself who rarely used Kong leaving condolences. At this stage, there was about 20 people in chat everyday and certainly by December 2016 it was constantly a game of "Let's see how little people we get in chat today and post a comment about it!" for most. December 31st 2016 was when myself and a few others were introduced to the Discord server and from then on PR2 has at least had a stable community if a small one, though that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Of course the cause is age and the fact that most kids/teens these days aren't playing the flash games we played but rather console games and games my mother would never have let me play when I was young lol

theres a pr2 discord?
Bubblehead
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Coolest For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(17th August 2020, 3:19 PM)Coolest Wrote: theres a pr2 discord?

https://discord.com/invite/kcWBBBj
I miss when people just raced on the original campaign. No glitching, no simming, just pure racing from start to end. The whole campaign would be full of usernames, even on Carina. Now you have a hard enough time coordinating four people to join the same campaign level. Back then, it was random kids joining races with other random kids. Pure nostalgia. That's why we remember a simple game like this with such fondness. It takes us back to simpler times. It's why the game still has such a loyal fanbase. People cling to the nostalgia, cause it's a feeling that's hard to let go of.

So to answer the question, I say it went downhill a few months after the second campaign was released, whatever year that was. You could tell the userbase was in decline, people were simming, and people knew how to glitch large portions of the map. It became less fun for the common player who just wanted to race when these simmed rank 50+ accounts dominated and glitched through a campaign race. This is just my personal opinion of what caused the decline, and isn't supported by evidence.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • John m., Lego-man945
(18th August 2020, 7:45 AM)Mystery Wrote: That's why we remember a simple game like this with such fondness. It takes us back to simpler times. It's why the game still has such a loyal fanbase. People cling to the nostalgia, cause it's a feeling that's hard to let go of.

Well perhaps for some people, you'd be right, however there are new things discovered in PR2 every month and I personally play for the complexity of this game. No game I've played matches the complexity of PR2s systems while maintaining such enjoyable controls. 

As long as new things are being discovered and made, I don't see any reason I'd stop playing. While the playerbase has declined, the complexity PR2 offers is still peaking to this day. It's just about whether or not you like to engage in that side of PR2.

This game really is incredible. ;(
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tejs For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, Magniloquent
(22nd August 2020, 5:39 AM)Delphinoid Wrote: I would have rather seen people take interest in some of Jiggmin's other games. I feel like part of the reason why Futurism, Luna, etc. never got anywhere was because people never cared about anything outside of PR2.

I think it was moreso Jiggmin got burnt out
he would've made PR4 if it was just people wanted PR2 (he could've made PR4 essentially PR2 2)
á
IMO, I think late 2013-2015 is where the decline of players and activities.

I left PR2 for a year and half in 2014 to mid 2015. I came back only because I saw @AlphaZ getting to rank 70, that's when I started to come back to surpass him Tongue