In What Year did PR2 Begin to Decline, and Why?
What do you think caused the downfall of PR2?
Age. I think the game had a very VERY good life, considering the fact that it's a flash game that amassed a population in excess of 6 million users, and it's still going after 10 years.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Alex.L, Boy 8638, Camer the Dragon, Emeiry, gemj, Justinbob100, Nemo Nation, new bat pr2, Northadox, Speedblur, Zelante
I first noticed it in the Christmas periods of 2014 and 2015, less players were sticking around and then the infamous "RIP PR2 2008-2015" comments and chatter at the tail-end of 2015. I basically took a hiatus from everything except schooling in 2014 so this may have occurred prior but I know for sure this was BIG on Kong in 2015/early 2016, you'd see Kong accounts like Bankzy, Metalgrimm, Scoze, Omega (regulars in chat) and also others from PR2 itself who rarely used Kong leaving condolences. At this stage, there was about 20 people in chat everyday and certainly by December 2016 it was constantly a game of "Let's see how little people we get in chat today and post a comment about it!" for most. December 31st 2016 was when myself and a few others were introduced to the Discord server and from then on PR2 has at least had a stable community if a small one, though that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Of course the cause is age and the fact that most kids/teens these days aren't playing the flash games we played but rather console games and games my mother would never have let me play when I was young lol
(8th May 2018, 3:00 AM)gemj Wrote: I first noticed it in the Christmas periods of 2014 and 2015, less players were sticking around and then the infamous "RIP PR2 2008-2015" comments and chatter at the tail-end of 2015. I basically took a hiatus from everything except schooling in 2014 so this may have occurred prior but I know for sure this was BIG on Kong in 2015/early 2016, you'd see Kong accounts like Bankzy, Metalgrimm, Scoze, Omega (regulars in chat) and also others from PR2 itself who rarely used Kong leaving condolences. At this stage, there was about 20 people in chat everyday and certainly by December 2016 it was constantly a game of "Let's see how little people we get in chat today and post a comment about it!" for most. January 2017 is when myself and a few others were introduced to the Discord server and from then on PR2 has at least had a stable community if a small one, though that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Of course the cause is age and the fact that most kids/teens these days aren't playing the flash games we played but rather console games and games my mother would never have let me play when I was young lol

Oml Bankzy and Omega were such cool people!
grateful.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Zenas For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
It started having less activity towards the end of 2014 I think, but by the end of 2015 it lost the majority of its players. It definitely declined due to age, its been around for a long time and every multiplayer flash game I've played since 2009 is either completely dead or isn't even online anymore. PR2 is the only exception.
[Image: VnNsnRk.gif]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to thique For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante
I'd assume age, late 2013 to early 2014 was when I left pr2 for a few years while I was at college + had no laptop/computer
I don't 100% agree that age is the sole purpose as to why the game died. The main thing that can kill a game is lack of development, and in the period between 2014 until recently when Jiggmin uploaded the server code to github for people to work on, there was no development on the game. I can't speak about what happened prior to 2014 as i hadn't played the game since 2010, however from what I've heard, Jiggmin was not the most vocal person ever, and as he has stated, the code for the PR2 server was a mess, and as he was not requesting any additional help or implementing many ideas, the game was destined to fall from the beginning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to __ For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Dangevin
I remember in 2014-2015 at a point the servers would always be down for days. That made alot of people leave huh
[Image: beerus_junt.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to $hake Junt For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante
Mid 2014 just before I vanished for 3 years it was dying slowly, since I left JV went down and other crap kicked off. I think from what I've heard JV going down was the main reason behind it. Not sure because I obvs wasn't around.
The reason it declined is because games became more advanced, people were still playing the ps2 when pr2 came out, so yes, age but also because everyone has grown up.
Every user writes "Age" as the reason. Yes, i understand, PR2 is well aged but we NEED to keep the 200+ players on Derron ongoing.
нет
Flash games are dead thats why it died
I can't say exactly when it happened. But updates stopped when Jiggmin started working on PR3. The user base slowly declined leading up to PR3 and when it was actually released, I felt it was the nail in the coffin. It didn't hold up and fractured the community and a lot of people moved on like its' creator.
There is a theoretical version of Platform Racing that would be a hit even now, just look at Mario Maker. The bones PR2 are built on are just too old.
We sure did have our fun in PR2's heyday though. I remember when I first started, I idolized Salamanderman and The Racer and made the goal to make it to the ATB one day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Overbeing For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, Northadox, Speedblur
The beginning of the decline was prob late 2011/early 2012. Top Hat and the Speed campaign were cool new additions but then more and more and more campaigns and very limited use hats like thief started coming out (I don't know which year it was, but so many campaigns came out, 1 was alright 2 was cool more was oversaturation)
but late 2013/early 2014 was when it really started to show
then 2015 there were so few people on I thought it was the end of PR2
á
(7th May 2018, 11:22 PM)bls1999 Wrote: Age. I think the game had a very VERY good life, considering the fact that it's a flash game that amassed a population in excess of 6 million users, and it's still going after 10 years.

6 millions users or 10 users with 600,000 accounts? the latter seems more accurate
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Atari4600 For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999
(21st April 2019, 9:28 PM)Atari4600 Wrote: 6 millions users or 10 users with 600,000 accounts? the latter seems more accurate

@ the Vipas of the world ?

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Atari4600
I think around 2014 because of age and many people started to leave.
I remember at somepoint the pr2 server kept going down for months I think thats what turned most people away
Age, The playerbase of pr2 growing up, and lack of development and communication from dev and players.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to DivineZerinus For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore...racing%202
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Kwing For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley00