Mentions
I've thought about making mentions for the PR2 chatroom. This would have to be:
- Only people on your friends list
- Not in races

Thoughts? You would be alerted by a pop-up message.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante
Perhaps not a pop-up, but just a simple highlighting of the Chat tab: That'd make it so people in-race could come out of their race and see "Hey, I've been mentioned!"

Another couple thoughts. For level editor -- if a pop-up were to be implemented, would it ping in there as well? And would it be @Username or just typing out the username?

Just my thoughts -- I do like the idea though.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Fresh Cookies For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante
(14th May 2018, 9:21 PM)Fresh Cookies Wrote: Perhaps not a pop-up, but just a simple highlighting of the Chat tab: That'd make it so people in-race could come out of their race and see "Hey, I've been mentioned!"

Another couple thoughts. For level editor -- if a pop-up were to be implemented, would it ping in there as well? And would it be @Username or just typing out the username?

Just my thoughts -- I do like the idea though.

Regarding adding new aesthetic elements, Jiggmin lost the source code to the PR2 client which makes this impossible. The limitations of the client, unfortunately, prevent us from adding highlighting on the Chat tab.

LE technically logs the user out, so it would register as they're offline. It would only work if both users are on the same server.

Ideally, the mention command would be @username.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Fresh Cookies
I'm not sure i want to add people to my friends list in order to mention them. Say i'm having a discussion in main chat and i'm talking to someone, i don't really want to add them just to be able to mention their name in a formal manner. However i like the idea of the mentioning. I also though, aswell as highlighting/underlining the mentioned player, but when you click their name, their profile shows up too. That would be pretty cool and wouldnt require a client edit either.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to __ For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(15th May 2018, 1:52 AM)__ Wrote: I'm not sure i want to add people to my friends list in order to mention them. Say i'm having a discussion in main chat and i'm talking to someone, i don't really want to add them just to be able to mention their name in a formal manner. However i like the idea of the mentioning. I also though, aswell as highlighting/underlining the mentioned player, but when you click their name, their profile shows up too. That would be pretty cool and wouldnt require a client edit either.

The chatroom actually automatically escapes HTML input for chat messages, so I'm not sure if that can be done. It would depend on if I could bypass that check by using some fancy server command or not.

I think the format for a potential mentions system depends on a happy medium of what people want it to do and what is possible.

(15th May 2018, 1:52 AM)__ Wrote: I'm not sure i want to add people to my friends list in order to mention them. Say i'm having a discussion in main chat and i'm talking to someone, i don't really want to add them just to be able to mention their name in a formal manner. However i like the idea of the mentioning. I also though, aswell as highlighting/underlining the mentioned player, but when you click their name, their profile shows up too. That would be pretty cool and wouldnt require a client edit either.

I agree, also because my friends list is full of old-timers and irl friends yadda-yadda and I don't really want to have to clog it to use a tool, you know what I mean? Maybe it's just laziness, but eh

On the other hand, I'm not for the mentions. This may be an unpopular opinion but it just doesn't appeal to me, in the sense that it reminds me too much of Discord and that there's always that little part of me that doesn't want PR2 to change that much. Not to be negative but PR2 chat is slow enough nowadays to not need such a tool anyways, but that's just my opinion. Maybe a poll later on?
Honestly, the only reason i'm really behind the mentioning system is because i tend to find myself in multiple conversations at the same time. So if i could clearly mention who i'm talking to, it would make it so much easier for me to hold multiple conversations.
Maybe there could also be something that stores your mentions for the week or something? Idk how this would work but you could go to like pr2hub.com/mentions.php with remember me and it would show all messages in the past week where you were mentioned.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=714605&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC][Image: sigimage.php?u=735689&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Stxtics For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766
(15th May 2018, 4:10 PM)Stxtics Wrote: Maybe there could also be something that stores your mentions for the week or something? Idk how this would work but you could go to like pr2hub.com/mentions.php with remember me and it would show all messages in the past week where you were mentioned.

That could work, although it would heavily increase the number of database requests.