[PR2] Level Upload
I've been playing PR2 for about 9-10 years now and I would suggest something to make sure some levels are legitimate by having the creator (or some other beta tester) to beat the level to be able to upload it to newest.

Of course I can see the pros and cons with this idea but I do think it would be a nice feature.

+No impossible maps
+Makes sure that EVERY map being uploaded is beatable.

-It will be harder for trap makers to upload ridicolus maps that may or may not be fun for the players.
-Probably will make an already dead game more dead.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:
To make a comparison Nintendos "mario maker" have such a feature to upload only if the creator pass the level by himself.
Heres a video example to show nintendos way to go by it and my thoughts into abling it to PR2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1a7wf3HMks
[Image: 3An08oh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to GHSimon3 For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante
Sounds like a great idea in theory, however this could be chore for people who make multiple not necessarily hard but long levels and could deter them from producing more levels. In my opinion, it's just not practical.
grateful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zenas For This Useful Post:
  • GHSimon3, Zelante
This is actually a pretty good idea. Unfortunately, I feel like this would require a client edit (Staff pls confirm the edit thing).

This would be great for PR4 though!

Edit: what @Zenas said as well. That would be the only downside to it
- -  Fred - -
Sim-racer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zelante For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, GHSimon3
This would also ruin any cooperative maps, such as 4p teamworks, and wars/deathmatches that cant be tested or don't have a finish as the idea of the mode is not to hit a finish block (e.g. to war)

This idea would be good to filter out some stupid levels, however i don't find it very necessary, as any level that seems silly/spammy can be manually removed by a member of staff.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to __ For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, GHSimon3, Justinbob100, Zelante, Zenas
^This, and these levels typically get filtered out by receiving low ratings anyway (Unbeatable, bad content)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justinbob100 For This Useful Post:
  • GHSimon3, Zenas
^^^^

Not worth it.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to gemj For This Useful Post:
  • GHSimon3
(4th June 2018, 11:28 AM)__ Wrote: This would also ruin any cooperative maps, such as 4p teamworks, and wars/deathmatches that cant be tested or don't have a finish as the idea of the mode is not to hit a finish block (e.g. to war)

This idea would be good to filter out some stupid levels, however i don't find it very necessary, as any level that seems silly/spammy can be manually removed by a member of staff.

I was thinking about this and discussed this problem with Jorn as well. My "solution" to this was to have multiple characters to switch from during gameplay, I.E. You can switch between player 1, 2, 3 and 4 as you play test the map. 
For the different game modes there are many different solutions that can determine wether a map has been beaten or not. 

Say for race maps all you need is to hit the goal and its counted as beat.
Deathmatch, someone loses all his/her lives.
Objective, hit all goals.
Egg hunt, time runs out or you hit the goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-nFJcFM70

For the topic of objective which is the only mode that doesn't count the map to be "beat" if you collect all goals (See video above) maybe for this idea to work then this has to be taken into account, which I believe will take a lot of effort for programmers. I know, with this idea, a lot needs to be implemented and I do understand that it might be too much for an old game like PR2.

I do know it's not very necessary right now when not many maps are being published and therefor easy to spot someone spamming/posting bad maps for removal. 

PS: Really happy to see such constructive feedback on this topic by everyone. Really makes me happy. :)
(5th June 2018, 5:00 AM)GHSimon3 Wrote: I was thinking about this and discussed this problem with Jorn as well. My "solution" to this was to have multiple characters to switch from during gameplay, I.E. You can switch between player 1, 2, 3 and 4 as you play test the map. 

Some levels require two players active at the same time for example those levels who use the sword glitch (The one usually seen in 4P teamwork levels).
grateful.
(5th June 2018, 5:00 AM)GHSimon3 Wrote: I was thinking about this and discussed this problem with Jorn as well. My "solution" to this was to have multiple characters to switch from during gameplay, I.E. You can switch between player 1, 2, 3 and 4 as you play test the map. 
For the different game modes there are many different solutions that can determine wether a map has been beaten or not. 

Say for race maps all you need is to hit the goal and its counted as beat.
Deathmatch, someone loses all his/her lives.
Objective, hit all goals.
Egg hunt, time runs out or you hit the goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-nFJcFM70

For the topic of objective which is the only mode that doesn't count the map to be "beat" if you collect all goals (See video above) maybe for this idea to work then this has to be taken into account, which I believe will take a lot of effort for programmers. I know, with this idea, a lot needs to be implemented and I do understand that it might be too much for an old game like PR2.

I do know it's not very necessary right now when not many maps are being published and therefor easy to spot someone spamming/posting bad maps for removal. 

PS: Really happy to see such constructive feedback on this topic by everyone. Really makes me happy. Smile

Adding the ghost feature would require a client edit, so thst can't happen.
We can't actually do this without editing the client. Sorries. :/

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
This is very possible and very easy to do. Editing the client requires a somewhat hacky process and you have to know what you're doing. Still, it's very possible. As to the idea itself though, I would never want to see this in pr2. It's part of the games charm, really. You remove this and levels that REQUIRE more than one player will no longer be created. Limits = less creativity.

Are you suggesting that we also remove the teleport function from the level editor as well? No, no no.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSupreme For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, GHSimon3
(6th June 2018, 7:56 AM)TheSupreme Wrote: This is very possible and very easy to do. Editing the client requires a somewhat hacky process and you have to know what you're doing. Still, it's very possible. As to the idea itself though, I would never want to see this in pr2. It's part of the games charm, really. You remove this and levels that REQUIRE more than one player will no longer be created. Limits = less creativity.

Are you suggesting that we also remove the teleport function from the level editor as well? No, no no.

I like the point you bring up by saying that it will remove its charm, I totally agree on that.

For the idea of the multiplayer feature i posted an idea above about having 4 different players you yourself could switch between as you playtest/edit the level. For example we can switch hats as we test a map in Level Editor, you could switch between player 1, 2, 3 and 4 in a similar way. (Just my idea).

And for removing the teleport function... FRICK NO!

The idea was to have an [Edit] and [Upload] button (see video in OP) where:
[Edit] you test different areas on the go where you DO have the teleport function available, hat changing etc etc.
[Upload] you would have to set the players (one or more) with each individual stats and hats before starting the level. Playing the level as if you would play the map normally. You beat the map and level would be uploaded smoothly.
You'd have to make it so you can beat the level with every hat you've selected as allowing on the level which would require a lot of playthroughs
Also as said earlier, team levels wouldn't be possible to upload without this, plus the fact that each player is meant to take a certain hat in some would get messy
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • GHSimon3
(21st March 2023, 7:54 AM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: You'd have to make it so you can beat the level with every hat you've selected as allowing on the level which would require a lot of playthroughs
Also as said earlier, team levels wouldn't be possible to upload without this, plus the fact that each player is meant to take a certain hat in some would get messy

Another way is to simply have some sort of "verify tag" wether or not the uploader has beat the map him-/herself or not. Idk. Just an idea.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to GHSimon3 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon
(22nd March 2023, 5:55 PM)GHSimon3 Wrote: Another way is to simply have some sort of "verify tag" wether or not the uploader has beat the map him-/herself or not. Idk. Just an idea.

There are ways to fool the system into thinking you've beaten a level. This is why high-value and EXP prizes aren't on levels anymore.

I think the only way this would work is if the responsibility fell on trusted members of the community (e.g., CAs) to verify if levels can be cleared. I know Camer and Stunt are very talented racers, so the only obstacle would be the potential lack of racing prowess of future CAs, and the time involved to verify multiple levels.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • GHSimon3