What Is the Source Code and Why is it so Important?
Can it ever be found again?
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Eat Me! For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
The source code is important if the game is to have continued development. It can be reproduced with some effort, but so far no one has been committed enough to do this.
(4th June 2018, 11:55 PM)Eat Me! Wrote: What is the source code?

Ah, the ever-elusive source/client code. The source code is the code written in ActionScript 3, or the SWF file. This code determines how you see the data sent back and forth between you and the server.

(4th June 2018, 11:55 PM)Eat Me! Wrote: Why is it so important?

This code controls mostly everything visual; racing physics, items that you have/use, prize popups, etc. Without the PR2 SWF, all you'd have are messages being sent to and from a server. That's a pretty boring user interface for a game!

(4th June 2018, 11:55 PM)Eat Me! Wrote: Can it ever be found again?

The short answer is no. Jiggmin applied something called obfuscation to the client code, which essentially encrypts the code so that nosy people can't tamper with it. While it's theoretically possible that someone highly experienced in reverse-engineering and/or deobfuscation/decompilation could do it, I know that I'm nowhere near qualified enough to undertake something like that. Even if we were able to do it, the code would likely not be the same as it was before it was obfuscated due to variable renaming and intense code jumbling in the client.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Eat Me!, Eternal, gemj, Zelante
Source code is nerd lingo for "thing you don't want to lose"

oh wait
??? @gemj
(5th June 2018, 4:43 AM)Antonhs30000 Wrote: ??? @gemj

Basically, without the source code, you cannot edit the client (PR2 in this case) or even update it.
- -  Fred - -
Sim-racer
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Zelante For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
Lol I know @Zelante
Oh I found the source code just a while ago, here it is:

Quote:if username=string(bluelightning) {
     finished = true
     points_awarded = 100000000
     give_hats(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13)
}
else { endgame() }

Pls install this it will make PR2 work good again
- Bluelightning

[Image: Signiture.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Bluelightning For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(5th June 2018, 3:23 PM)Bluelightning Wrote: Oh I found the source code just a while ago, here it is:

Pls install this it will make PR2 work good again

That's code that would go in the server. Can't See

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
How did he lose the source code?
(7th June 2018, 10:43 PM)Eat Me! Wrote: How did he lose the source code?

As he put it, in a "tragic backup accident." He tried to move a folder full of PR2 stuff (among other things) to another drive on his computer, and the computer crashed. When he restarted the computer, it was all gone.

While it could theoretically be possible to recover the source code if data loss software was used, I highly doubt it would be intact after all these years.

The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Eat Me!