Jiggmin's Village
POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Printable Version

+- Jiggmin's Village (https://jiggmin2.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Arcade (https://jiggmin2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Platform Racing 2 (https://jiggmin2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: POLL: Santa Hat Physics (/showthread.php?tid=1843)

Pages: 1 2 3

POLL: Santa Hat Physics - bls1999 - 20th June 2019

As you may or may not remember, the arrow, crumble, move, and vanish blocks were not originally frozen while wearing the Santa Hat (prior to March 9, 2013). Upon digging in the PR2 physics, it seems that this change was due to a bug in the implementation of the ice wave and not an intended feature.

I am willing and able (and leaning) to fix it, but I wanted to get a community opinion before I go changing major game elements. As a compromise, I could allow users to toggle the "level of slipperiness" in the settings menu, which would allow the user to switch between the original and current Santa Hat physics.

Disclaimer: the results of the poll will not necessarily dictate my action or lack thereof on this matter.

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - a7x3 - 20th June 2019

I think it's something people are so used to that it's just become the norm, it wouldn't hurt changing it back to how it used to be

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Camer the Dragon - 20th June 2019

Santa should freeze all imo it only seems right for the hat's ability
(I'm voting no I think that's right for this thought, but swap it if not lol)

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Northadox - 20th June 2019

More frozen blocks = more glitchy fun, IMO. I like more customization as well so the slipperiness option sounds cool as well.

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - bi3liu - 20th June 2019

Be cool if the epic santa hat unlocked the slipperiness option, and it freezes less on default. Tho idk about the plausibility of making it like that.

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Jeremiah - 20th June 2019

Add the slippery option. As much as we are used to it, it's kinda hard to use arrow, crumble, move, and vanish blocks in certain situation.

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - bls1999 - 20th June 2019

(20th June 2019, 4:45 PM)bi3liu Wrote: Be cool if the epic santa hat unlocked the slipperiness option, and it freezes less on default. Tho idk about the plausibility of making it like that.

If I did make the option (which is what I'm leaning towards), it would probably be this minus the epic upgrade thing. While certainly possible, I wouldn't want to give epic upgrades any special abilities. The option would be called something along the lines of "Super Slippery Mode" and would have an explanation when a user mouses over it.

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - John m. - 20th June 2019

That new bug with the santa hat has been bothering me ever since it began. I never remember it freezing vanish blocks and the such. Its a real burden in mario bros remix's vanish blocks I really want it back to the original like its been before. Can we at least make so it dont freeze vanish blocks? Or make it so the vanish blocks start vanishing while its frozen

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Camer the Dragon - 21st June 2019

(20th June 2019, 8:25 PM)platform guy Wrote: That new bug with the santa hat has been bothering me ever since it began. I never remember it freezing vanish blocks and the such. Its a real burden in mario bros remix's vanish blocks I really want it back to the original like its been before. Can we at least make so it dont freeze vanish blocks? Or make it so the vanish blocks start vanishing while its frozen

I find it good, because it makes the hat a double-edged sword

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Colind - 21st June 2019

@bls1999 Can you show us a video of what it does now and what you want it to? its better if we see what you want it than to say it at least imo.

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - bls1999 - 21st June 2019

(21st June 2019, 6:57 AM)Colind Wrote: @bls1999 Can you show us a video of what it does now and what you want it to? its better if we see what you want it than to say it at least imo.

This is what it used to do, vs. now where it freezes all blocks. Notice how it interacts with arrows, vanish blocks, and crumble blocks.

If I made the option, you would be able to toggle between this and what it is now.

(21st June 2019, 11:21 AM)bls1999 Wrote: This is what it used to do, vs. now where it freezes all blocks. Notice how it interacts with arrows, vanish blocks, and crumble blocks.

If I made the option, you would be able to toggle between this and what it is now.

The way it looks there seems off, compared to the description of the hat

At the very start of vid
it says "briefly freezes blocks you stand on" implying all blocks

(21st June 2019, 12:16 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: The way it looks there seems off, compared to the description of the hat

At the very start of vid
it says "briefly freezes blocks you stand on" implying all blocks

This is the code for freezing a block in the client:

If the following requirements are satisfied...
- Block is not frozen
- It's been more than 4 seconds since the block was last frozen
- The player standing on the block is wearing a santa hat
- The block is not a finish, ice, vanish, crumble, arrow, or move block
...freeze the block.

While it doesn't exactly match the description on the prize popup, I believe this was the intended function of the hat.

(21st June 2019, 3:10 PM)bls1999 Wrote: This is the code for freezing a block in the client:

If the following requirements are satisfied...
- Block is not frozen
- It's been more than 4 seconds since the block was last frozen
- The player standing on the block is wearing a santa hat
- The block is not a finish, ice, vanish, crumble, arrow, or move block
...freeze the block.

While it doesn't exactly match the description on the prize popup, I believe this was the intended function of the hat.

Was the change in 2013 deliberate though?
because it might have been

(21st June 2019, 5:35 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: Was the change in 2013 deliberate though?
because it might have been

Considering the code for those parameters remains, I don't think it was intentional. Jiggmin would've removed it if he intended for the change.

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Cybermaaan - 22nd June 2019

Hmm... i feel comfortable with crumble block.. but im not so sure about arrow and vanish blocks (i would leave them the way they used to be).

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Stunt - 10th July 2019

Slippy level would be ideal

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Atari4600 - 11th July 2019

I vote to revert it. because nothing is more annoying in Super Mario Bro Remix on campaign when you go down those three green blocks with the santa hat on.

Reverting Santa hat physics would definitely make it nicer for speedrunning. The only question I have is this (and correct me if this has already been fixed) When you wear a santa hat you get +10 speed, when you pick up another person's santa hat you get an additional +10 speed. (e.g. assuming you are wearing four santa hats you get +40 speed). If you have 140 speed then use a speed burst you go ultra mega fast (aka 240 speed) then you get brought down to 100 speed (or the speed you used with in the start of the level) does that still happen or was that fixed?

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - bls1999 - 11th July 2019

(11th July 2019, 6:29 AM)Atari4600 Wrote: I vote to revert it. because nothing is more annoying in Super Mario Bro Remix on campaign when you go down those three green blocks with the santa hat on.

Reverting Santa hat physics would definitely make it nicer for speedrunning. The only question I have is this (and correct me if this has already been fixed) When you wear a santa hat you get +10 speed, when you pick up another person's santa hat you get an additional +10 speed. (e.g. assuming you are wearing four santa hats you get +40 speed). If you have 140 speed then use a speed burst you go ultra mega fast (aka 240 speed) then you get brought down to 100 speed (or the speed you used with in the start of the level) does that still happen or was that fixed?

This was patched; now, you only gain +10 speed on the first hat (as intended).

RE: POLL: Santa Hat Physics - Camer the Dragon - 11th July 2019

(11th July 2019, 2:22 PM)bls1999 Wrote: This was patched; now, you only gain +10 speed on the first hat (as intended).

Wait does Santa give 110 speed?