Let's get this thread to a million pages!
(14th July 2022, 10:43 AM)Different Wrote: @Yomakoy Up next:

This would've been the perfect remaster if they didn't screw up the percussion. Almost ruins it for me. Top one is better. If the remaster had the original's percussion, it would definitely be better.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
(14th July 2022, 10:48 AM)Yomakoy Wrote: I've got one, since you seem to be focusing on the original Crash Bandicoot.

Ngl, N sane trilogy nailed this one to the wall. The bassline hits home, pretty damn good. The percussion lacks, unfortunately. I'll give them a 4 on this one.
Interesting. I still like the original's percussion more on that one too.
@Yomakoy This one should be obvious

But again, everything else is better about the remaster. Just lacks that punchy feeling.
(14th July 2022, 11:01 AM)Yomakoy Wrote: But again, everything else is better about the remaster. Just lacks that punchy feeling.

Facts! Which begs the question, where did the composer go to school at? I'm not even in school for music composition, yet I could have done a better job, myself. I'm an audio engineer.
(14th July 2022, 11:01 AM)Different Wrote: @Yomakoy This one should be obvious

Now THAT is what you call a remaster. Checks all of the boxes, and sets the mood perfectly.
(14th July 2022, 11:04 AM)Yomakoy Wrote: Now THAT is what you call a remaster. Checks all of the boxes, and sets the mood perfectly.

They remastered it pretty good, but it still lacks that eerie, ominous feeling like the original.
@Yomakoy Don't forget to rate the tone of the atmosphere, too.

(14th July 2022, 11:13 AM)Yomakoy Wrote:

0:15 WTF?? This is how you begin to ruin the original composer's work. They've definitely used different synths during the beginning, which doesn't strike me as a decent remaster, at all. I've noticed they've tried to replace a lot of the original composer's work with guitars. Some levels makes sense, and some doesn't.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Mia
(14th July 2022, 11:13 AM)Different Wrote: @Yomakoy Don't forget to rate the tone of the atmosphere, too.

They should've just used Josh Mancell's uncompressed composition for that one. Sounds lightyears better.

I'm glad you felt the same way about Road to Ruin. They completely ruined the vibe with the remaster.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Different
Fun fact, they compressed all of the audio files to meet the constraints of the PS1. They could've remade it with all of the original uncompressed compositions and I would've been ecstatic.
Completely disregard the N. Sane Trilogy versions for a minute.

Take Orient Express, for example.

The top version is the one you're familiar with. It's what was played on a copy of the PS1 game. The bottom uncompressed version is simply divine.
(14th July 2022, 11:29 AM)Yomakoy Wrote: Fun fact, they compressed all of the audio files to meet the constraints of the PS1. They could've remade it with all of the original uncompressed compositions and I would've been ecstatic.

Yeah that was a bad move on their part.
(14th July 2022, 11:36 AM)Yomakoy Wrote: Completely disregard the N. Sane Trilogy versions for a minute.

Take Orient Express, for example.

The top version is the one you're familiar with. It's what was played on a copy of the PS1 game. The bottom uncompressed version is simply divine.

The bottom one, definitely sounds too compressed and washed out. I dunno what program they used, maybe audacity, but they washed out the percussions.
Whaaaa? The bottom one is the uncompressed version. Top one didn't do the original piece justice.
(14th July 2022, 11:47 AM)Yomakoy Wrote: Whaaaa? The bottom one is the uncompressed version. Top one didn't do the original piece justice.

Sounds like the other way around, to me.
I should probably get some sleep, at some point.