Stop Killing Games
(9th April 2024, 9:47 AM)Northadox Wrote: [Image: 20n3ImQ.png]

This is what the campaign is seeking to do legally in its petitions; just ensuring that AFTER a live-service game ends its official support, there are means for restoring service in an unofficial capacity (documentation, binaries, etc.) and being able to remove a publisher's involvement entirely.

I guess I'm confused about what exactly constitutes "means for restoring service". The laxest interpretation of this campaign that I can think of (at least from the perspective of preserving intellectual property) is that developers would be obligated to provide players with a binary for hosting servers and a modified client that allows connection to these player-hosted servers (for instance). Would developers be obligated to provide support for these? If not, what happens if bugs are introduced in the new client or server software (in other words, what is meant by "a functional state")? Could developers be sued for this? What about if there isn't "enough documentation"? What responsibilities would (or should) players hosting these servers be expected to have? What happens with games where microtransactions have a particularly important presence (e.g. gacha games)?

For any given interpretation of this there are a lot of questions you can ask that, imo, lack clear answers. I'm hoping in the coming months they'll have a more precise proposal.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Delphinoid_ For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox

Messages In This Thread
Stop Killing Games - by Northadox - 6th April 2024, 11:18 AM
RE: Stop Killing Games - by LCPD - 8th April 2024, 8:00 AM
RE: Stop Killing Games - by Northadox - 8th April 2024, 9:14 AM
RE: Stop Killing Games - by Delphinoid_ - 9th April 2024, 12:31 AM
RE: Stop Killing Games - by Northadox - 9th April 2024, 9:47 AM
RE: Stop Killing Games - by Delphinoid_ - 10th April 2024, 1:42 AM
RE: Stop Killing Games - by Northadox - 10th April 2024, 11:07 AM
RE: Stop Killing Games - by Delphinoid_ - 11th April 2024, 12:19 AM
RE: Stop Killing Games - by Northadox - 16th April 2024, 3:35 PM