opinions on the current state of pr2
I was going to reply to OP, but Northadox nailed it. I'm going to respond to bi3liu instead. Responses are bolded, inline.

(6th June 2019, 11:36 PM)bi3liu Wrote: For example, here are some controversial updates/things (this is very opinionated so yea): 
  • Changing the size of text (its larger than before, and it made a lot of levels seem a bit off) - this is actually a bug and not an intended change. I'm working on a fix for this in the next version.
  • Changing the undo/redo button for placing players in a block (luckily there were other methods to do place players in a block besides the default "mapleleaf" method) - this broke in decompilation and I have no idea where to even start looking as to how to fix this.
  • Blocking pr2 from being played from non-approved locations (this prevents naxxol, the advanced level editor, from working, and lots of team sites) - I actually allowed naxxol a few months ago. I understand the concern, though. If embedded properly, the SWF should work on any site and say the referrer is pr2hub.com.
  • Right clicking for quality low/zooming in (luckily this still be done by clicking settings after right clicking, then right clicking again for the familiar menu to appear, tedious though) - this hasn't been there for a few years, but I have no problem adding these options back.
  • Error: Slow down a bit, yo. (maybe prevents botting, but controversial tradeoff) - this error appears in a few different places; to which instance are you referring? I can look into increasing the threshold for that error to be triggered.
  • Fixing that account deletion script - see Northadox's response. Since it was Jiggmin who made this script in the first place, I would have to speak to him about his wishes. I feel it important to note that this script only triggers if the user hasn't logged in for three years. Additionally, I wasn't even the one that fixed this. Another user wanted more names to add to his arsenal of over 200 accounts, so he not only fixed the script, but increased the rank required for the account to be saved.
  • Fixing cowboy+speed burst (not really fixed, but before if you hit an item block only once, you would be able to use speed burst just fine. If you help up under an item block, then you would have speed burst, and your acceleration would not 100, but would be the acceleration of your stats before you entered the level. Made a level with this mechanic before) - if I'm understanding correctly, this sounds like it's related to the good ol' fashioned stat block with speed burst glitch. This is also on my list to fix. Perhaps someone can make a video to give me a better understanding of the glitch? Intended, actual effects, etc.
  • Patching 200+ speed santa hat (idk was a cool glitch) - sorry
  • Making the code for newer pr2 levels incompatible with the tas (only affected 3 or 4 people so no biggie) - it is never my intention to inconvenience anyone in the TAS community; is there a specific problem?
  • Patching the item glitch (well it does make luck tests ok again, but pretty bad for speedrunning. controversial tradeoff) - I'd like to work on a way for users to select the items they want in a level on the tournament server. That fix would solve this issue.
  • Changing how bubble set is awarded (although I do not really dislike this update, some people do) - see Northadox's post
  • Preventing too many levels from being published from the same ip - this is a spam prevention thing; it only applies to page one, since people would spam level creation for a full first page in newest. I'm open to suggestions on how to better solve this issue.
Some pointless/not really impactful updates (imo/in my opinion) - most of the awarded parts never had descriptions; I added descriptions for the heads/bodies/feet, and IIRC the hat descriptions were only changed if their effect changed (moon). what's the problem with these?
  • question mark next to the sets
  • changing the descriptions for awarded parts, and items
There has also been some controversial staff activities, especially regarding the pr2 banning system. People are easily warned these days, as there are more chat rules, and people get warned or banned if they break the chat rules regardless of the context. - I think the reason people think there are more chat rules is because PR2 had no official rule set after JV went down. These rules, for the most part, are the same ones that applied in 2015 (with small updates made as situations arose, e.g. artifact level editing).

A lot of people that I know have been banned before (at least 70%), and I believe that if too people you know have been banned, there starts to be hate towards the mods and admins. - It is never our intention to upset anyone with our decisions, but ultimately we will end up doing so when disciplinary actions are involved. If anyone feels that they've been mistreated, they're welcome to appeal the ban in Ask a Mod.

There's a lot of really good stuff here and I want to thank you and Saurus for sharing your thoughts. Please, if anyone else has any concerns, don't hesitate to let us know.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • a7x3, bi3liu, gemj, Lego-man945, Northadox, Saurus

Messages In This Thread
opinions on the current state of pr2 - by Saurus - 6th June 2019, 5:11 PM
RE: opinions on the current state of pr2 - by Saurus - 6th June 2019, 5:16 PM
RE: opinions on the current state of pr2 - by gemj - 6th June 2019, 5:45 PM
RE: opinions on the current state of pr2 - by ~Bowl - 6th June 2019, 5:59 PM
RE: opinions on the current state of pr2 - by bi3liu - 6th June 2019, 11:36 PM
RE: opinions on the current state of pr2 - by bls1999 - 7th June 2019, 2:10 PM
RE: opinions on the current state of pr2 - by bi3liu - 7th June 2019, 11:16 PM
RE: opinions on the current state of pr2 - by John m. - 18th June 2019, 4:18 PM