Poll: Which one of these careers in gaming, would you like to have, if you had to choose?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
3D Game Modeler
0%
0 0%
Audio Engineer
0%
0 0%
Game Animator
0%
0 0%
Game Artist
0%
0 0%
Game Designer
12.50%
1 12.50%
Graphic Designer
0%
0 0%
Game Developer/Programmer
37.50%
3 37.50%
Level Designer
25.00%
2 25.00%
Music Composer
25.00%
2 25.00%
Sound Designer/SFX
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

GAMERS! βš‘οΈπŸ’ŽπŸ”₯
(3rd March 2023, 2:35 PM)CamerΒ theΒ Dragon Wrote: Considering crunch is still unfortunately a large part of working for a game studio, I feel that working in the industry is not exactly a good thing and that doing it on the side as a hobby would be a lot more fun

The thing is about working on games as a job is that I feel that it would make it tougher to have games as something to relax with after work, partially because of the aforementioned crunch and also because of thinking about how your job would affect the game and what you'd do differently

What do you mean by "crunch", and how is it affecting your enjoyment of working on games, exactly? πŸ€”

(3rd March 2023, 2:35 PM)CamerΒ theΒ Dragon Wrote: In terms of which from the top list? Probably 2D Level Designer, but personally I would still not pick it as an actual job considering it would still have crunch issues and is a make-or-break element of the game in terms of enjoyability. The reasons I would pick it over the others being that you can iterate levels with simpler to more complex designs, so you at least have something there once you do the first draft and it's not like coding where it's easy to completely break everything. It also depends on the in-house tools for designing levels how easy the process is.

It seems like this whole, "crunch" thing, seems to have a large, negative impact on your decision to have level design, as an actual career. Would you still consider that level design career in gaming, if you take away the whole, "crunch" problem?

Messages In This Thread
GAMERS! βš‘οΈπŸ’ŽπŸ”₯ - by Different - 1st March 2023, 10:35 AM
RE: GAMERS! βš‘οΈπŸ’ŽπŸ”₯ - by David - 2nd March 2023, 10:07 PM
RE: GAMERS! βš‘οΈπŸ’ŽπŸ”₯ - by Different - 3rd March 2023, 6:27 PM
RE: GAMERS! βš‘οΈπŸ’ŽπŸ”₯ - by Legend - 5th March 2023, 12:20 PM