Poll: Do you agree with Bicyclists sharing the road with cars?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I think it's a great idea because bicyclists have no where else to go.
66.67%
2 66.67%
I think it's a bad idea because this is a liability nightmare that'll cause someone to get sued, eventually.
0%
0 0%
I think it's a great idea for other reasons.
33.33%
1 33.33%
I think it's a bad idea for other reasons.
0%
0 0%
My thoughts are pretty neutral on this topic. Plus, I don't even drive, anyways.
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

BICYCLE LANES ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ
(17th April 2024, 12:22 PM)Different Wrote: ๐Ÿšฉ1) Most bicycle lanes do a poor job of offering protection against drunk drivers and speeders.

๐Ÿšฉ2) Bicyclists don't always use the bicycle lanes. They find the roads more appealing.

๐Ÿšฉ3) Bicycle lanes limits parking areas, especially if you're looking for parking spots downtown.

๐Ÿšฉ4) Someone is going to get sued because eventually a drunk driver is going to swerve and collide with a bicyclist.

๐Ÿšฉ5) Drivers don't always pay attention to the road, thus potentially increasing the risk of bicyclists getting killed from biking in the streets.

1, 4, and 5 are basically the same issue which could apply to pedestrians too but in more detail for each:
1) As opposed to what, having them in the same stretch of road? I don't see how picking out a particular problem that exists and then saying "well this one isn't fixed" invalidates everything else (i.e. benefits) about it. It's not even "it's worse like this".
4) Surely this would be more likely without bicycle lanes? Once again like in point 1, I don't get the point of this argument.
5) Drivers not paying attention to the road isn't a danger just for cyclists, but for pedestrians too (e.g. if someone is crossing the road) or if you get people just mindlessly wandering in the road just off the side of the pavement (which does happen). Once again, surely without a designated bicycle lane this would be more likely too?

2) This would be the cyclist's fault but at the end of the day they're mainly putting themself at risk by doing so. Many cyclists would use the cycle lane though (and especially if a car is coming I feel a lot of people would at least dip into it).
3) You really shouldn't be parking on the side of the road if it's a busy road anyway. If you mean designated spots you have to pay for, then you may as well make a multistorey car park (Google tells me these are called parking garages in America).

(17th April 2024, 12:22 PM)Different Wrote: Whatever happened to bicyclists riding on the sidewalk?
Because it's illegal, at least here it is. Looking it up tells me in America it's very much a "depends on local laws" situation. Also it'd just cause another issue with cyclists and pedestrians.
รก
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  โ€ข Different, Master Raiden

Messages In This Thread
RE: BICYCLE LANES ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ - by Camer the Dragon - 20th April 2024, 8:01 PM